What welding to do?

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 08:50
ThreadID: 8024 Views:1738 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. I've got an old BJ42. There is a little rust in the floor under my feet. It about 30mm wide running along next to the door for about 200mm. There's a guy up the road who's pretty handy with welding but I thought I'd just check to see if there are other ways to fix this problem. I'm going to ask him just to weld a thin bit of plate on under the vehicle (after cutting out the rusty area). Am I right in thinking that MIG welding is the way to go? Also, can you buy floor plates?

Cheers....Hellbelly.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 09:14

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 09:14
I cleaned the rust off my floor with a wire brush, then sprayed fish oil over it and let that dry. Then I fibreglassed the area. Underneath I paint Pabco(tar) on and then grow a handful of dirt onto it. When that dries it looks like it has been like that for years.
On a more serious note...Yes, MIG welding it would be the way to go. In the past others have use Oxy and braised the metal on. Depends how long you intend keeping the vehicle to what standard of repair you want to do.

Cheers,
Willem

Wat vas is, skud los
Wat los is, val af !
AnswerID: 34819

Follow Up By: Brendon - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 13:43

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 13:43
Mig and oxy welding(steel wire) is great. Brazing is OK if there is little or no flexing, the bronze tends to crack with fatigue.
FollowupID: 25160

Reply By: howesy - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 09:20

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 09:20
Your right on the button big boy. I used to do it extensively when I converted Mustangs from left to right hand drive. The only way to do it properly is to cut it back to clean metal and mig weld plate in there with an overlap. If the overlap is 20mm and it is welded both sides , an engineer would even pass it. Go for it. If you got a mate then let her rip. it will save you heaps from a panel shop. Besides some panel shops do real bodgy plate work its a matter of knowing the good ones.
Good luck.
AnswerID: 34820

Follow Up By: diamond(bendigo) - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 18:37

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 18:37
hi howsy.
your right about some dodgy panel beaters.
if a vehicle comes in for a road worthy with rust it has to be repaired by a registered panel beater.they will in a form that says its up to scratch.once they sign this form im no longer liable for them repairs it falls back on the guy who signed the form.
well you should see some repairs they do and sign the form my daughter could do better with play doh lol.back by popular demand
:-)
FollowupID: 25188

Reply By: Mickl - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 19:40

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 19:40
I think "Rare Spares" sell weld in sections (they call them rust panels) but not 100% sure, a quick phone call and you'll know. They are on the web; www.rarespare.com.

If not, try going around the wrecking yards, most of them only crush the shells anyway so getting the piece you need cut out won't be a problem.

When doing the repair on your rig remember the following: It's good practice to remove the vehicles battery and have the mig earth close to the job. Check whats close by and under the vehicle also (fuel lines, wiring loom etc). Also remove all the carpet, sound proofing, and keep a fire extinguisher close.!!
Try and get a nibbler to cut out the section, or as an alternative, a jig saw with metal blade. Don't be tempted to use something like a 4 inch angle grinder in the car... it will spread fine metalic dust everywhere (imagine the electrical fault nightmare this could cause) and the flying sparks are a huge fire hazard.
AnswerID: 34896

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 20:04

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 20:04
I can't help myself...get your mate to weld up the doors and go buy a Nissan!Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
AnswerID: 34899

Reply By: Hellbelly - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 20:37

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 20:37
Thankyou Gentlemen. Mig it is. Now I've just got to find the time.....

PS. I thought you were serious there for a minute Willem. Was starting to scratch my head thinking "REALLY?" lol.
AnswerID: 35024

Sponsored Links