Heading for Corner Country this weekend....

Hi All,
Just wondering if any one has been in this part of OZ in the last month?
We are leaving Melb this weekend for a 4 week trip up through Wentworth, Mungo NP, Menindee, Broken Hill, Mutawinji NP, Tibooburra, Noccundra & then on to the Dig Tree & Innamincka. We'll head home via the Strezlecki & Flinders ranges. May even see if we can score a flight over Lake Eyre out of Marree.
Would love to hear from any of you about the best camp spots and what the roads are like at present. I have had a quick look at the outback roads web site today & a couple are marked with caution. But, there is no better info than from someone that has just driven them. We'll bi travelling in a 4x4 with a 15" off-road van in tow.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Coenens N (WA) - Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 17:56

Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 17:56
I had a call from friends who were through there yesterday = been very muddy all through those areas but drying out nicely now. If there is no more rain you will be fine.
AnswerID: 425022

Reply By: Member - John B2 (VIC) - Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 19:31

Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 19:31
Hi Chris,

There is someone else that wants to do a similar trip on a different forum,
may help you with your planning.

http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10028

We hope to be up there soon also

Cheers,
John
AnswerID: 425029

Reply By: rumpig - Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 19:54

Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 19:54
we were out at Noccundra Hotel about 4 weeks ago and saw what probably would have been a nice camp spot across the road from the pub. we didn't actually drive in and check it out, but from memory it was a free camp spot on the banks of the river there.
i'm sure others who have stayed there, will be able to give more specific details though
AnswerID: 425032

Follow Up By: miandering fiander - Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 20:07

Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 20:07
Yes free camp and donation required for the use of the showers.
Good camp spot and plenty of fish in the lake.
FollowupID: 695494

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 19:23

Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 19:23
Big mozzies though
FollowupID: 695845

Reply By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 20:45

Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 20:45
Hi Chrisk, we were out at the Dig Tree a few weeks ago and found both the Dig tree and Innaminka verry good places to camp. I would strongly suggest going from the Dig tree to Innaminka via the Dig Tree circuit rd, the landscape was amazing along that route.Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 425038

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 20:58

Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 20:58
That's a tad expensive ;)

Andrew
FollowupID: 695506

Follow Up By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 21:28

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 21:28
Andrew,
The $11 includes being able to camp for as long as you like. The 'old mate' who takes your money is full of good info and he said once you pay you can camp there till you die. We had a fantastic night there would stay for a few days if we had the time but work beckoned worse luck. The money goes towards the upkeeep and the road in It is worth the money to be able to see it rather than be locked away so no one can see it the government does not put a cent towards it. We should be thankful the the Kidman company is willing to allow us to see it and allow us to camp there and experience the Cooper
Babr
FollowupID: 695752

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 22:06

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 22:06
Bit more than $11 on the sign Barb ;)

I agree, it's good to see it still open for all to see....been about 25 years since i was there last, hope to get back soon.

Andrew
FollowupID: 695755

Reply By: Member - Geoff B (NSW) - Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 21:44

Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 21:44
Hi Chris,

regarding roads:
We were stuck in Innamincka last week when 50+mm came through on the tuesday and all roads were shut for four days. We managed to get out of Cullymurra waterhole on the friday, and the Cameron's Corner track opened on the Saturday.
Although it has had another week to dry out since then it was very muddy - esp. getting out of Cullyamurra and east of Merty Merty. Lots of people getting stuck - but everyone was helping everyone else out. Even the Silver City Hwy b/w Tibooburra and Packsaddle presented some excitement last Friday. We were in a Landruiser 200 towing a Kimberly Kamper. It appeared that those with vans were not fairing as well as those with campers. Unless the graders have been through, I expect that many of these tracks might have some significant wheel ruts by now.

regarding campsites:
The Fort Grey campsite just short of the Corner store (NSW side) is a stand out, with a short walk to Lake Pinaroo well worth it.
We found our 5 nights at Cullyamurra well worth (despite the mud) and our one night at Innamincka's Town Common.
We also spent a couple of nights in the Darling River campsites at Menindee.

Having said all this, it is absolutely beautiful at the moment... hard to believe you are in the desert. Well worth it.

cheers,
Geoff.
AnswerID: 425043

Follow Up By: NicnPete - Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 22:21

Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 22:21
Hi Geoff,
We also went through there last Friday.. We went down to Broken Hill on the Thursday aswell and the road was pretty bad then, it was WAY better on Friday.. I don't know how some of those vans made it through lol... Kinda makes you appreciate what you have at home when you get stuck in a small town for days when it rains..
Nic
FollowupID: 695516

Follow Up By: Member - Hunjy (NSW) - Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 10:11

Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 10:11
Geoff B
You camped next to us at Innamincka Town common( its good to put faces to the names). We also had a Kimberley Kamper and landcruiser.
Yes the track outside the Merty station was exciting, we got stuck once because I had negleted to engage the centre diff and so with the kimberlys having overide brakes I had to get out in the 300mm deep mud and flip over the toggle so we could reverse out, its a pain at the time but a laugh later on.
We left Innamincka for Tibooburra at 10.30am on Saturday morning as the bloke at the trading post said the Thargo road would (should) be open around 10.00 then we got advice that said they wouldn't open it till monday as the authority didn't work on the weekend ( or was bleep ed off at the vehicles with vans which went to Thargo on the closed roads and stuffed up the new pre seal on the new sealed section north of the Dig Tree) then we've heard that the road opened at 11.00.
It wouldn't have mattered so much but a lot of people had to go to work on the Monday and the fact that it was OK to travel from Thargo to Innamincka on the Friday (Thargo Police OK'd this) but a $1000.00 per wheel per Km fine the other way. So there was a lot of confusion at innamincka to say the least. But I would rather keep the gravel roads as they are as they have a changing personality that helps make your adventure exiting.
So summing up it was so worth while to see the Country out there at its best and with the colours of the Dark clouds, Red Sand and green pasture together it makes you shake your head with the Beauty of the outback.

Cheers
Mal
FollowupID: 695793

Reply By: NicnPete - Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 22:17

Friday, Jul 23, 2010 at 22:17
Hey,
Hubby and I were stuck in Tibboburra for almost a week (trailer trouble) and it is a pretty awesome part of the country!! The roads were pretty sweet, and Cameron Corner is definately worth going to see.. The stayed at the little van park in Tib, the people at TJ's Corner store there were a great help! We went down to Broken Hill on the Thursday after the rains and that was an adventure in itself!!! How some of the vans got through I don't know as Packsaddlle recieved around 2-3 inches!! Nice little roadhouse there though! If you can swing it if it rains I would advise to leave it as long as you can before travelling on the roads, to let them dry up a bit and let other travellers pack it down. Sounds like a great trip you won't be disappointed..
Nic
AnswerID: 425046

Sponsored Links