Campers over the Cooper - Take 2 and all LEGAL!!!!!!

Hi All
The good thing about this forum, is that many people contact me personally for the latest information off of line either by private emails or phone. I have just within the last few minutes now had it confirmed that there is now a LEGAL way of getting your trailer or Camper over on the Ferry. The same fee of $50 will still apply as it was with the quad, but this time is it different.

So after my last report informing all that it was possible, that was very quickly squashed, this one will be staying. Like I have said before, where there is a will there will be a way. So now all of you Camper Trailer travellers that have wanted to travel the Birdsville Track, you can, so head up, take your camper over and drop into the Mungerannie Hotel and say G'Day to Phil and thanks for his help.

For all further enquires to confirm what I have just posted and for times, please give Phil a call at the Mungerannie Pub (08) 8675 8317.

Have a great weekend and see you some time out by the Cooper

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SimonW - Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 13:59

Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 13:59
Stephen, this is the best news, fantastic, I will contact Phil for details etc. Now time to redo the trip plans & enjoy the preferred trip.If you happen to see a white 120 series with a kanga on the back in your travels please say hello.
Thanks again for all the information & follow up.
regards Simon.
AnswerID: 425079

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 14:09

Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 14:09
Hi Simon,
All that I am prepared to say (I know all what is happening and their back up plan if someone tries to stop it, but will leave it to Phil to explain) is that your camper WILL NOT BE TOWED over by a quad or small vehicle.

Also I would like to point out that I have nothing to gain from this post, only helping people with campers to see the flooded Cooper Creek and see tourism boom in the Outback.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 695590

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 14:49

Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 14:49
Why all the secrecy if it is a legal way of providing a service? Sounds dodgy from the outset.....just an honest opinion.

Andrew
FollowupID: 695594

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 15:36

Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 15:36
Hi Andrew
There is nothing dodgy about this service. The last time I put up a post, people that had to wait too long to cross complained and the other vehicle (quad) was banned. This is a road registered vehicle with the ability to fit the camper of its tray. The only way that someone will try to have it banned is because it is using a Government loading ramp. They have there bases covered and if they are not allowed to use that service, station people will have a new ramp built in no time flat to keep this service running.

You would be surprised the number of people that complained about the last post. Like I have made it clear from the outset, I only swag and tent, so it is in no interest to me. Many people have wanted to take their campers up there but have been put off as they were not able to get them over to the other side of the Cooper.

This service is for station people and for people with campers that need to get from one side to the other.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 695597

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 18:00

Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 18:00
I'm not complaining or will complain about a service in such an area, just that your explanation of the service provided implies that it is not above board asking for trouble. ;) Happy to see a service such as this exist.....still doing the maths to see if we can get down that way in time.

Andrew
FollowupID: 695608

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 18:16

Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 18:16
Hi Andrew
If you can, make the trip as it is sight that you may not see for another 20 years. I had been planning for 12 months this years trip back into the deserts of WA. When we went up in June and saw first hand the amount of water out there that words can not explain, we decided to head back again to the Cooper, plus others areas that have all that water.

You will not regret the drive. Others that have been out there will testify to that.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 695611

Follow Up By: Member - John B2 (VIC) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 19:25

Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 19:25
I think I will wait for Transport SA approval, not our friend's say so.

As he says only tent or swag why is he pushing for camper trailers???

Your trailer costs $50, your vehicle $0

A bit suss for me.

I have been there and seen the Cooper flooding (day 1 ) and will be there again in September.

Cheers,
John
FollowupID: 695619

Follow Up By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 20:58

Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 20:58
G`day John B2,
Mate it is your call as to which information you trust.
Stephen has been providing what I believe to be factual and reliable info on this subject, on this forum, for many weeks, most of which has been obtained from the people living nearest to the crossing and on who's property it operates.
I drove the Birdsville track from North to South last week without hesitation partly because of the info Stephen posted here weeks earlier.

Regards,

Scrubby
FollowupID: 695624

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 21:59

Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 21:59
John B2
Could you please read the post again to get the true facts.

1. I said to ring Mungerannie and speak to Phil for full details.

2. There is no mention anywhere that I mentioned you as my friend.

3. Yes I do swag and tent only, but am not pushing for Camper Trailers.

4. The $50 fee goes to the owner of the Truck, a fee that has nothing to do with the ferry ride, but a service provided for many travellers that are wanting to cross the Cooper with their camper trailers.

5. It would only be suss if I could not back up what I have supplied as true information and I was there collecting the money myself.

What I have passed on is information that was given to me in good faith from a member of this forum, who has asked me to find out if this is true. I phoned Phil this morning and he has confirmed what I have stated as true and correct. We all know now that the quad was not registered, but this truck is used on the road and registered, has a load rating far greater than the trailers that will be piggy backed over on the ferry.

I am trying to promote as many tourists to get up there and see the Cooper and to help out the people that make a living out there on the Birdsville Track, some of which are finding it very hard at the moment.

Another forum user who lives up there is Teraa, and If I was wrong she would very quickly point out where I was supping false information.

All am saying is that if there are people out there that want to get their camper from one side of the Cooper to the other, there is now a service provided for that very purpose.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 695635

Follow Up By: 3GoBush - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 14:18

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 14:18
Can we assume Phil has a tilt tray or similar??

If that is the case then there is nothing dodgy with that, in fact quite smart, as they say necessity is the mother of invention .
FollowupID: 695702

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 22:28

Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 22:28
Hi all

I suggest John B2 waits for government approval, (notoriously slow).... that way there will be room for someone who is less of a whinger to go see a great scene.

There's one in every crowd, isn't there....
AnswerID: 425113

Follow Up By: Off-track - Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 22:54

Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 22:54
ROFL!

Good call!
FollowupID: 695641

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:16

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:16
Hehe
FollowupID: 695681

Follow Up By: Member - John B2 (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 19:27

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 19:27
Your handle is correct

But calling names or casting dispersions is the lowest form of wit, please reset you sails
FollowupID: 695728

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 22:50

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 22:50
John

I feel it was you casting dispersions on the good intentions of Stephen. I didn't call you names, I just said there would be room for someone less of a whinger. If the cap fits....

Cheers, Dave

FollowupID: 695761

Follow Up By: Off-track - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 23:00

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 23:00
Might wanna reset your own sails there John, considering your first sentence.

Wit you say, eh?
FollowupID: 695765

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:32

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:32
Geez talk about bite the hand...........
Thanks for that info Steve. We now can rearrange our trip too. We will also add a night at Phill's have a few more beers than last time and even a meal. If he happens to read this we still have that BF muddy unused.
Steven this is my assumption that the ones complained were the same ones that spend a week doing what takes two weeks. The same ones that camp on our backsides because that's what they are use to at home ( its happened to us) 1000 acres and they set up camp half a meter away.. As per a thread a couple of days ago they go 100 mile an hour and smash windscreens, dint caravans and break clearance lights on both trucks and vans. Steve and other EXPERIENCED desert folk Please don't stop giving us updates because of some crap you receive back. They just don't get how the bush works.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 425156

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:59

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:59
Hi Old Girl
As you and hundreds of other readers would know, I have been updating the progress of the Cooper, since early March when locals knew that it would cross the Track. Unlike you and many other travellers, the need for a way of getting campers over did not directly effect me at all but knew many people that were concerned.

Part of any good follow up information is passing on for all to read were the latest details when they were available, so people like you and Simon could head out and know that you are able to take your camper and experience the sights of the Cooper.

Thanks for you support and I will continue to post updates when they are available. When I was speaking to Phil, normally this time of the year he his full but very different this season and he will appreciate any extra business that he can get.

Have a great trip.

Regards

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 695683

Follow Up By: Member - John B2 (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 13:54

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 13:54
Hi Old Girl,

I am not ne of those that fits your assumption.

As I have both a caravan and camper trailer, I am very aware of damaged caused by speeding, as it effects me also.

I have been on the receiving end, as I have a cracked windscreen and stone damage on my trailer received while on the Tanami Road and the Birdsville Track this year due to speeding on coming vehicles and also not moving as far to the left as possible.

It is also my pet hate when I camp out and there is heaps of space, not only do they camps next to you, some then start a generator ruining the peaceful surroundings.

My wife and I love being in the great outdoors and are not afraid to camp on our own, but many who live in the suburbs seem to like the security of camping close together, not my scene.

I am retired and only have deadlines when it concerns my family needing our assistance.

We will be visiting the Mungerannie hotel in September, as we had to bypass it to make sure we crossed the Cooper Creek before it was closed.

We will leave our caravan and stay in their accommodation or in a tent.

Cheers,
John
FollowupID: 695697

Reply By: Member - G N (VIC) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 20:37

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 20:37
Hi Stephen

Lots of interesting info about whats going. I wish i was able to go have a look.

Has the coopers flow reached lake Eyre yet do you know? and is the water still rising at the punt?
Are there any estimates when it will peak (if it hasnt already) and when it will stop flowing at the punt?

Kind regards'
GN
AnswerID: 425438

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 20:47

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 20:47
Hi GN
The Cooper reached Lake Eyre about 3 weeks ago. When we were there about 6 weeks ago they were talking that the Cooper was going to rise about another meter, but from all reports it is still about the same. As for flowing at the punt site they still think that it will be running well into 2011, even as late at March has been mentioned.

We are due to head back that way again next week, but there has been lots of rain in the area, so we may have to get there via another long way. It will all come down to next Tuesday night when it will come down to crunch time, as we leave early Wednesday morning.

If you can get up there you will be well and truly rewardsed, as everyone that I have spoken to and been they have been had the time of their lives and glad that they took the time out to head there.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 695967

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 20:52

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 20:52
Hi Stephen

Yes will try to get there, would love it i am sure. If it is going to be running for a while we might have a chance.

I though if the coopers had stopped flowing at Innaminka, then I kind of guessed it would only run for a couple on months at the crossing.

Regards
GN
FollowupID: 695972

Sponsored Links