The Green Desert Trip

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 20:08
ThreadID: 80279 Views:2546 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Just one week to go until we head out to the Simpson Desert. We have had a rout planed, driving clock wise from Innamincka, Oodnadatta, Alice then back via the Simo. We have allowed 3 weeks for all this.
The main draw for the trip was to see the Desert all green, with so much water around we will have to travel where the tracks are dry & will allow.

Getting a edge as my little truck is still in the shop getting 3rd gear replaced & a new water pump fitted, after being picked up during the trip service.

I feel like a kid, the night before Christmas.

Cheers
David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 07:22

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 07:22
David
Things should be real good by then, all the wild flowers will be out, and the Simpson will be brillaint to drive on.

We left Innamincka last Tuesday, the roads around there were drying out well, and if they get no more rain the graders will have been over lots.

Camping was only at the town common, but ask the guy's at the Trading Post, and they are only too eager to direct you.
Yabbie's taste great there too.

Cheers
Bucky

Cheers,
AnswerID: 425125

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 07:39

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 07:39
David,

I have just returned from the Simpson Desert and it would have to be the best that I have seen it. The amount of green grasses and flowers was unbelievable.

Image Could Not Be Found

Wayne

AnswerID: 425129

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 09:44

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 09:44
Hi David
We may see each other there somewhere, as we will be in similar area around the same time. We will be very easy to spot with yellow kayak on the roof and EO Sand flag. Apart from the very green desert, it is also a very wet desert, with large amounts of water still out there. How many people have ever had to paddle to get to Big Red. If the water is deep enough, I will have a go.

Have a great trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 425144

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 09:56

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 09:56
Stephen,

You just might get your wish.
This photo was taken from top of Big Red looking east.

Image Could Not Be Found

Wayne
FollowupID: 695673

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 10:12

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 10:12
Hi Wayne
I have seen other pictures like yours and it seems very hard to believe that there is that much water out there. Do you have any latest reports on the southern detour of Eyre Creek that people seem to be using. I was always been under the impression and have driven in the pastused the northern detour at Goonamillera Crossing, yet the southern detour is a lot shorter.

Thanks for your inspiring pictures.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 695674

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 10:17

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 10:17
Stephen the southern detour is good if you can use it - was running around 700 mm deep last week (there was a post) - can get very wet entering and leaving and makes a good boggy entrance! Also it would be possible when you get there that the purple monkey face flowers (Mimulous prostrata) could be flowering - they are so beautiful - lie down on them look across, it is like lying down on a carpet of little purple forget-me-nots. They are just in a couple of places on that southern area.
FollowupID: 695675

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 10:22

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 10:22
HI Ruth
Thanks for that. Do you know why the southern detour is in place, or is it purely to save distance. We will be looking out for those wild flowers, they would like nice on a bush mantle piece. LOL

Regards to Ian

All the Best

Stephen and Fiona
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 695676

Follow Up By: Member - Hunjy (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 15:43

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 15:43
Stephen
We were in Birdsville 2 1/2 weeks ago just before the past rains and the southern detour to big red took about 40 minutes.
The detour is there because the photos showing the water above extends about 10km south of the main track and you can't see the end of the water looking north from the top of Big red.
The water could be 20-30-40 kms or more in length, so the southern detour is by far the shortest way around it.

By the way has the Ferry been renamed ' MV STEPHEN L' yet.

cheers
Mal
FollowupID: 695706

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 18:04

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 18:04
Hi Mal
I was aware of the Big Red Detour, but not aware of the southern detour at Eyre Creek. The water out there must be unreal and a very different sight that we have been used to in past crossings. Did you strike any mossies?

The old ferry hasn't been renamed yet, lets keep working on it.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 695716

Reply By: Vernp - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 15:55

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 15:55
I got back from the green Simpson a couple of weeks ago now, you will love it very green, lots of water around Big Red and Eyre Creek . Well worth the trip
AnswerID: 425171

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 17:11

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 17:11
Seems a few people will be leaving in a week, we are also off next weekend to see the green Simpson. Doing an east west crossing then returning to Birdsville via Geosurveys Crn/Geographical Centre.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 425174

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 18:27

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 18:27
Chris
Have a great trip and make sure that you have lots of plugs for the punctures and a good compressor. There is some unreal country out that way. You will see our plaques on top of Geosurvey Hill and the Geographical Centre.

Cheers

Stephen
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 695718

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 19:01

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 19:01
Thanks for that Stephen, great photos, we are really looking forward to this trip, leaving Birdsville on the 5th.
We will be taking a similar route to which you took and yes I am taking plenty of plugs and tubless patches. I will see if I can get a photo update of your plaque.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

FollowupID: 695723

Sponsored Links