Coromal vs Jayco Camper Trailer

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 22:19
ThreadID: 80282 Views:48079 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

My family and I are thinking of heading off for a 12 month trip around oz. We have decided that a camper like a Coromal Silouhette or Jayco Hawk Outback is the way to go. It appears that the reviews are quite mixed, and would love some feedback from anyone who has experience with these campers. Most specifically, how off-road capable are they? We will take tents etc for trips to Cape York, but would like to be confident that the campers can handle most trips (Gibb River Road etc).

Look forward to hearing from anyone to help with our decision... We have 2 kids to fit into our plan :)

Jack
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OREJAP - Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 23:58

Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 at 23:58
We have a Jayco Dove & downgraded from a Swan outback. For what we do & where we go it suites us. The Jayco will go everywhere you want it to go but having said that it's not $100,000 worth either like some of these especially made OFFROAD Vans. If you look after the unit by driving accordingly to the conditions I cannot see a problem. If you are going to lower your vehicle's tyre pressures due to the conditions do the same with the Jayco. As for Cape York there was a story on this forum awhile back that a Hyundai Excel or something like it was parked in the car park at the very end of the road near the tip & there have been numerous posts about the cape so do a search on the areas you wish to travel to & I am sure someone has been there,done that & is offering good advice. I don't know anything about a Coromal Silouhette so I cannot comment. Have a great trip,take your time & be safe.
AnswerID: 425122

Reply By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 00:11

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 00:11
Hi Jack

Can't comment on the Jayco, but did have the Coromal Silouhette 421 for two years and no real concerns with it. The only flaw in the van I believe was the method of fixing the water connections to the spout over the sink - it worked loose too easily. That may have been addressed in recent models. Ours was taken on road Nov. 2007 and sold Nov. last year.

Main reason for selling the Coromal was to get into a full standing van, which suited our style of travelling better. After two major trips covering six weeks each - first to Qld 2008 and last year to NT, we got tired of winding the unit up at the end of every day's travel and down again next morning. Simple enough to do, but getting lazy in my advancing years.

The Coromal appealed particularly because of the heavier chassis and construction style - and the big winner for us was the push out kitchen, which made the van quite spacious with the beds pushed out as well. Perfect for the family setting up for a holiday somewhere, but not ideal if moving every day.

On the plus side - the lower profile is very economical in towing and it was extremely hardy. The roughest treatment ours handled was the dirt from Newman to Marble Bar through Nullagine where the road was quite 'lumpy' and it showed no ill effects, and it handled corrugations throughout the wildflower country in the Murchison ok.

Hope you enjoy your travels, whatever choice you make - there is a lot out there to see.

Cheers - Phil

Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 425123

Reply By: pepper2 - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 09:41

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 09:41
Have owned a corromal magnam 440 van towed well capable on mild offroad tracks two things to consider
1.the canvas over the bed ends has a plastic coatingwhich prevents the canvas breathing creating mould in the underside difficult to remove.
2.the steel cable used to wingh up the roof runs over NYLON rollers the cable cuts through the rollers,after a failure i replaced the nylon with steel rollers.
AnswerID: 425143

Follow Up By: woodie3 - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 13:18

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 13:18
Hi, we have owned a Coromal PS421 for about 4 yrs, it is the offroad model, we have had a couple of minor issues with it, namely the blue water hose has been replaced twice & plastic hinges on the boot lid have been replaced with SS butt hinges, there has been no problems taking it onto gravel tracks. We recently completed an organised tag-a-long to Cape York, the camper was left at Ellis Beach, we were going to be travelling part way on the Old Telegraph Line, the camper is not suitable for this type of track, from there it was in tent, We saw many Jaycos & Coromals on the bypass road and would have no hesitation in taking ours on that to the tip, driving to conditions is the most important safety aspect of any trip, I believe the Coromal suspension in the offroad models is far superior to the Jaycos, cheers Bill
FollowupID: 695692

Reply By: fitzie - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 13:39

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 13:39
Just to throw a spanner in the works. I was in your situation a couple of months ago, then I was made aware of Goldstream who also make these type of campers. I am currently awaiting for my new goldstream storm RL but the reason i went with goldstream I to wish to travel off road with it. Jayco was immediately taken off my list when a clause in their brouchure, that some types of roads voided the warrenty, and these types of roads were the reason for buying off road camper. Coromal campers were my pick until I was made aware of in the goldstream campers they brace the frame of the camper both sides of the frame and me being a carpenter this was an instant pick, but after inspecting a goldstream build quality was way better than the others in my opinion this justified the extra money.

Duncan
AnswerID: 425166

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 14:47

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 14:47
Another heads up on the Goldstream camper. We have had ours 12 months now....and it has been to the Flinders and up to William creek on the Oodnadatta track...and that was in the first month of ownership!!!!. Didnt actually take it to Lake Eyre itself...as that horrible bit of road would test out any camper I reckon...plus our camper was brand new as well.
Ours is the Crown 4B off Road...and the only thing I have changed/added to it is some big rubber mudflaps to hang off bottom of factory stone guard....and some 12 volt outlets on outside.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 695704

Follow Up By: Steve - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 15:00

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 15:00
Coromal carry the same disclaimer in their small print on the brochure. Basically saying that any damage incurred due to off-road travel will be put down to negligence.

We had a Pioneer Silhouette 421 and it was lovely and spacious inside but coming from a caravan found it too much hassle winding up and down so we went back to a caravan. From what I gather from others, people seem to be happy with them coming from either another camper or tent. Ours was pretty heavy for a camper but still, it was nicely finished and we took it onto Straddie and the High country - although nothing hardcore. As others mentioned, there is a bit of a problem with the plastic around the bottom of the beds on the canvas wall. It can be helped by putting another bit of canvas/fabric in between. I'm sure it'll do a surprising amount of off-road work but I'd expect repeated/prolonged corrugations to take their toll. Hence their disclaimer.
FollowupID: 695705

Reply By: jezza68 - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 20:34

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 20:34
Just returned from the Gibb, kalumburu and Bungles. My mate towed a 2004 Jayco Flamingo Outback over it all. The only problem was a shockie lost a nut and was replaced in minutes when it was detected.
It did better than any of us expected as just about every spare conceivable was carried just in case. The jayco was quick to erect and often faster than our pull out camper trailer.
AnswerID: 425201

Reply By: WA 1968 - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 22:02

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 22:02
We have the Coromal 451. We looked at Jayco's and also the Coromal 421 but went for the 451 due to the larger floor space.

It is a bit of a pain when you have to wind it up and down each night, but we have been most happy with it.

Two years ago we travelled Exmouth, Kennedy Ranges, Gascoyne Junction and then Mt Augustus, whilst not extreme 4x4 the corrigations were shocking.

The only damage, a blown fuse from the rough roads at the battery end...basically looked the whole van over before going...buuhhh barrrr..check the fuse. Lights back on in seconds. The other thing to go wrong on that trip was the connection between camper and car kept coming lose from flat pins to 7 pin plug and played havoc with the cars electrics. I carried two nad kept swapping them and expanded the pins with my pocket knife whilst my wife drove for a while.

If you are tall you will find the Jayco's benches, sink etc very low and that was another buying decision for us (I am 6'4).

Like most posts it is a case of driving to the appropriate conditions. Our exit from Gascoyne Junction to Mt Augustus we averaged 45km/h.

Hope this helps but to say again we love the Coromal.
AnswerID: 425213

Reply By: PradOz - Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 10:26

Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 10:26
HI

You dont mention if you are buying new, late or older model secondhand. I own a Jayco Swan and my brother has a Coromal Silouhette (he also had Jaycos in past) He only bought this one as it was at such a greta price due to its remote location. He is happy with his but after restoring and repairing older models he found the Corimal a bit of a pain to work on. He commented that it was so easy to work on the Jaycos. Anyway I know he is still happy with his and I also am with my Swan. We have never had any issues with ours at all.

I would suggest that you do not have to buy brand new as long as you do your checks on the proposed purchase. You will save plenty on the right vehicle to allow you to spend on dressing it up to suit your needs.

I would suggest you check out layout etc to see if it really suits your family. We both like the fact our fridge is opposite the doorway so when the camper is down you can still access it along the way without winding it up to get to it. Also make sure you have enough storage space and its practical to use. Drawers seem easier to use when down low rather than cupboard doors but you may lose some space depending on its design. I always recommend that you buy as big a camper as you can tow, store and afford and then you will have enough room inside for everyone to have their own space as well as storage space.

Just do as others suggest - always drive to the conditions - but thats normal anyway if you want your van and tow vehicle to last. Have you tried using either camper before? If not try hire/borrow one of each for a short trip first and then decide if its worth spending the extra on a Corrimal or even a Goldstream or you go with a Jayco thats dressed up to suit you with the savings. Anyway have fun with whatever you get ....
AnswerID: 425249

Follow Up By: WA 1968 - Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 14:59

Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 14:59
Great suggestion PradoOz regarding Hiring one. Didn't think of that.
FollowupID: 695822

Reply By: cracker jack - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 19:23

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 19:23
Thanks everybody for your information - we are very new to this forum thing, and we appreciate your advice. No decision made yet, but all info is food for thoguht... We are going to the Toowoomba Camping expo this weekend, so hopefully we might get to see them all lined up with a "pick me" sign on one!

We have been camping with our 2 little kids for years, and have decided to upgrade our hard floor Camp-o-matic. Although, funds are a bit tight until this sells??? We plan to leave Xmas 2012 with a one way ticket to do a few laps of Oz.

Once again, thanks for your info, and if you know anyone chasing a good camper..... :) That will help our dream along.

Jack
AnswerID: 425416

Sponsored Links