PC Setup & Hema

Hi guys,

I have been using Oziexplorer on CE and for laptop navigation since 2004 with the laptop setup on a stand in the front of my vehicle. This does not leave a great deal of room for the passenger and I would hate to think what would happen if the vehicle was involved in a accident with the setup - I am wondering has anybody used or tried a USB touchscreen connected to the PC? These seem readily available on Ebay or does someone know where I can buy them locally in Australia? Can you just click straight on the icon to load that particular application or are there special setups required?? Also are there popup keyboard software you can purchase or download to eliminate the use of the keyboard??? Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance....

Secondly a friend of mine has given me a HEMA Navigator to see if I can fix a problem. The issue is the unit does not seem to acquire satellites at all - from the sat screen I can see sats and the nmea code but the unit just doesn't seem to lock onto any on the right hand side of the screen - the sat numbers change from time to time would that be the unit trying to find that particular sat or is it receiving data from that sat?? - Have tried different locations but to no avail - I have tried using the reset button on the back but I am wondering if there is like a hard reset and if there is do you lose the software on the device??? I was once considering buying one but have since changed my mind after using this one

Regards

Jason Hogerzeil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 17:32

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 17:32
Hi. I also looked at a remote screen but in the end bought a cheap 7" nav system (say$200) and loaded oziExplorer and all my maps from the laptop. Do a search on KNAV or similar and look for a unit with 2GB flash and ability to take a large SD card and with ability to access Windows, ie unlocked. You may be surprised with how good these are and it all sits on the dash from a suction cup on the windscreen. Just like a HEMA navigator with a 7" screen for $200 if you already have the software and maps! Cheers
AnswerID: 425178

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 17:36

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 17:36
Hi Jason
I have a touch screen set-up in the cruiser but found it was too hard to navigate around the screen due to the small controls in Ozi. I have found it better to just use a bluetooth or wireless mouse.
The touch screen may be easier to use now though as the latest version of Oziexplorer allows you to change the size of some of the control buttons.

Can't help with the Navigator
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 425179

Follow Up By: Staffee - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 20:10

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 20:10
Thanks for the heads up - just upgraded my oziexplorer and yes the buttons are much larger and can be configured as you say. Still have my mind on a 8" or 10" touch screen so I can have much more than just a GPS in the front of the car....

Regards
FollowupID: 695737

Reply By: The Explorer - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 17:57

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 17:57
Hi
Re: Hema Navigator - what version? The latest 5" one or older 4.3” one. Either way sounds like its broken - contacting Hema direct would be best option. If it’s the 5” one it should still be in warranty. I have not heard of the problem before. Asking on the GPSOZ Hema Nav forum may also pop up some clues.

Also I don’t think using a malfunctioning unit is a good test to decide if you want to buy one. Bit like testing a car that doesn’t go (for some unknown reason) and then avoiding that model because of that fact. Better off trying one that does work. Also keep in mind the new 5" model is completely different from the old one (different manufacturer etc) so on a hardware front you can’t use reported issues with the older model as proof of potential flaws in the current model….well you can if you want but its illogical IMHO.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 425181

Follow Up By: Staffee - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 19:54

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 19:54
It may be illogical - but it is his 3rd Hema unit since Xmas 2008 hence why I was willing to take a look at one of them for him. He has 2 X 4.3" versions that don't work and Hema finally sent him a 5" model only 4 or 5 months ago which he has no issue with as of yet. I was just wondering if anybody else experienced the same issue and if so how they may have over come it....

I have read a lot about these units and have read a lot of negative especially with the 4.3" model - but I believe the failure rate is way to high for a $900 unit - I have run oziexplorerCE on 3 different ipaq, qtek & HP platform style palm units and the never had a issue since 2004 and although only a 3.5" screen the success rate is far more superior. I too have had both ozice as well as tom tom software. I feel if I was to make a choice I would be sticking with the ipaq style myself.....
FollowupID: 695733

Follow Up By: Staffee - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 20:07

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 20:07
With the micro SD card does anyone know what is the largest size that the hema 5" will run? We are about to purchase one for his new unit - 16GB would be adequate but will have to buy 2 of them to load the maps on (NSW & VIC) otherwise will the unit run a 32GB micro sd which would be beneficial?

Regards

jason
FollowupID: 695735

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 20:09

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 20:09
Hi

My comment on your decision making process being "illogical" was solely based on the comment "I was once considering buying one but have since changed my mind after using this one " (i.e. the unit that doesnt actually work). This was the only information you initailly provided.

Applogies for not knowing the full history. My crystal ball, a no-name brand purchased on ebay, is broken :)

Use what works for you - no problem with that. I do it.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 695736

Follow Up By: Staffee - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 20:13

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 20:13
yeah I probably should have stated that - I guess in hindsight it was a comment which was not part of the original enquiry and should have been left out..
FollowupID: 695738

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 20:17

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 20:17
No worries - common problem on forums - misunderstandings - for no other reason that full information etc is hard to provide. This typing isnt much fun.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 695741

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 20:24

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 20:24
Re SD card. As you seem to know 16gb works fine and appears to be the only one they have "tested" . It would be nice to know if 32 gb works. Hope someone pipes up.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 695743

Reply By: Steve and Viv - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 22:57

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 22:57
I have a lilliput fold away touch screen that I run off my laptop. It has been used for years now and I like it. Can't find any pics at the moment. let me know if you want t see it and I'll load a few up

steve
AnswerID: 425612

Follow Up By: Staffee - Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 05:36

Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 05:36
what size is it? is it easy to navigate I am going to purchase a 8" screen in the next day or so...
FollowupID: 696109

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 08:38

Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 08:38
I have an 8" touch screen sitting in a box at home not being used.

AnswerID: 425627

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 09:23

Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 09:23
Look in the Trader Ive listed it there in the GPS section.

Only used it for a few days trialling it then used it as a reverse camera monitor.

Has been packed away for 6 months

FollowupID: 696120

Follow Up By: Staffee - Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 17:07

Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 17:07
Did you trial it as a gps likes? dislikes?

It does no say it is not compatible with Vista which is probably my only concern..

Other than that it is exactly what I am looking at

regards

Jason
FollowupID: 696162

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 17:53

Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 17:53
Dont see why it wouldnt run on Vista as its only a screen.

I had Copilot on my Netbook but I didnt like Copilot, the Screen was OK.

You can run a program called touchkit which allows you to run more than one screen or some newer NVidia stuff has multi screen ability built in. If your button icons are bigger it would be OK but at 1280 x 960 the icons are a bit small
Its ok at 800 x 600.
You shouldnt really be using it when moving anyway.

I had twin screen ability on my netbook and it ran the screen Ok.
I have extra VGA cables etc to go with it plus USB and power cables.
Im not sure where the stand for it is as I had it on a Ram mount with it bolted to a flat panel behind it

Look in my profile towards the end of the pics for some shots of it in the Cruiser or email me at graham-h@iinet.net.au preferably through the trader or I will get zapped as we not allowed to seel via the forum
FollowupID: 696168

Follow Up By: Staffee - Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 18:09

Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 18:09
wouldn't there be drivers and the such to use the touch screen ability? and if there are then I am thinking they might not be %100 compatible...

I am making a bracket to mount on the dash but do you have the fitting that connects to the back of the touch screen at least?

It seems like a great offer and don't want to look ungrateful :( but for less than an extra $50 I am buying brand new with warranty with guarantee compatibility...

Regard

Jason
FollowupID: 696171

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 18:50

Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 18:50
Get in touch with me through the enquiry link in the trader and we can haggle about it But not allowed on here
FollowupID: 696177

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 21:17

Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 21:17
Vista and Win7 drivers are available

FollowupID: 696210

Sponsored Links