VMS or HEMA navigator

Hi, I just started looking around for touring GPS at this stage i am looking at the VMS or HEMA navigator. I am interested in some feedback on them and which one is the most user friendly.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 06:16

Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 06:16
Julio

Personally I would not buy either.
Both are overpriced, and there is better valude units out there. In saying that I am still looking, but one that takes my fancy is from Digi-options at Tullamarine

click here

I have a Magellan Explorist 600, with the Hema Streets & Topo chip, I have found it wanting. Streets are not that bad, but the tracks or roads outback leave a lot to be desired.

Since I have to get 5th gear rebuilt, my new GPS, and couch have been put on hold

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 425228

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 06:28

Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 06:28
Julio
I forgot to mention that this unit runs Ozi Explorer, for all your outback roads, and maps..

But there willl be other members, that are better educated in this area.

Cheers
FollowupID: 695772

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 09:40

Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 09:40
Member Sand Man has a blog on his Hema, with contributions from one or two others.
AnswerID: 425241

Reply By: Member - Leon A (SA) - Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 21:58

Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 21:58
The VMS and Hema are exactly the same mapping wise for offroad both have Oziexplorer and Memory Map. Onroad the Hema is useless takes you down dead end streets, huge detours out of the way even when set to shortest route. The VMS is excellent onroad.

I had a Hema and took it back and swapped it for the VMS and was so glad that I did, bleep s all over the Hema.
AnswerID: 425325

Reply By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 08:35

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 08:35
I just got back from a month Desert trip with my Hema. Was the first time it really got used for its designed purpose and to be honest i have mixed emotions. When it works, the 4wd navigation is fantastic coupled with oziexplorer, when it works. However, it has no battery life, as soon as i unplug from the charger it dies. The mount is not great as it jazzes around to much and i had to wrap it in cloth tape as i was afraid it would break. This constant movement has caused the socket where the charger plugs in to work lose so now i have to hold it in with a rubber band. Plus the unit will all of a sudden just reboot itself for no reason. The Route 66 street mapping is atrocious.

Personally, when funds permit and before the next trip i will be purchasing a Garmin 550. Does everything the Hema will do and more with a built in camera for pics of that great spot you want to go back to, street mapping and takes hema maps. I have no affiliation but have seen one of these in action and it makes the Hema look cheap.
AnswerID: 425484

Sponsored Links