Walkers Crossing closed, Next option

Submitted: Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 21:10
ThreadID: 80330 Views:2620 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Since no-one will be getting through Walkers Xing until at least November does any one know if you can cut through the station country from somewhere between Mungeranie and Clifton Hills to somewhere around Moomba?

This would obviously mean a ford crossing across the Cooper but if I could get hold of a station (owner/Lease holder) there may be a possibility it could be done.

Does any one have the contact details of any of the stations on this route?

Cheers Luke
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ctaplin - Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 22:04

Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 22:04
Luke, you'll need to make other arrangements for travelling through this area as you have NO chance of getting through.
Station people aren't interested in dragging tourists through roads that aren't open as they have more important stuff to deal with mostly...
AnswerID: 425327

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 22:47

Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 22:47
G`day Luke,
The area you are enquiring about is very wet due to recent rains as well as the summer Q/land floods now reaching this lower part of the Eyre Basin system.
I get the impression from your post that you have no idea just how wet this whole area of central Oz is this year, I was told it is the wettest for 29 years.
Last week I was speaking to a bloke who had been stranded in his 4wd on a remote part of a station by water and was picked up by the station helicopter. He said it will be probable 6 weeks or more before the area is dry enough for him to return to his vehicle and drive out, that's providing there is no more rain before then.
Last week I returned home from a trip taking in the Anne Beadell, The Canning Stock Route, The Garry Junction Rd, Alice Springs to Mt Dare, The Simpson Desert from Mt Dare to Birdsville, The Birdsville track to Marree and then home to Victoria.
Every one of these tracks except the Anne Beadell had been affected by either rain or flood water. There are some who are waiting for the tracks to improve before moving on and others who have left vehicles behind to be retrieved later.

Regards

Scrubby.
AnswerID: 425339

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 01:21

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 01:21
But doesn't the country look sensational!!

Cheers.
FollowupID: 695884

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 08:05

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 08:05
Good to see you got thru saftely Scrubby - the top of the Canning was a mess.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 695895

Follow Up By: bockstar1 - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 08:14

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 08:14
Yes, I'd concur with this.

We were in Innamincka on 12/13 July. The rain started at around 3am on 13th July and continued for most of that day. We were camped out along the camp sections on the Cooper. The place turned to mud with just 6 hours of rain and we were lucky to get out. We didn't realise how bad it could get considering the place is flat however the roads turned to rivers and the desert sand became slippery as all hell.

Thankfully we did as one of party developed a serious bacteria infection and had to be air-lifted by RFDS from Thargo to Charlieville.

The whole area out there is beautiful however because of these rains and the recent flooding, the area is like a wet sponge.
FollowupID: 695897

Follow Up By: Luke SA - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 18:18

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 18:18
Thanks for your info. as i've never been out that way before I didn't realize the severity of the floods.

Cheers
FollowupID: 695943

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 22:31

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 22:31
Yeah Luke last night they received another down pour that started at 3am. It holds the tourist up a bit and our income. Sucks but still cant knock the rain.
FollowupID: 695980

Sponsored Links