1HD-T Almost ready to go

Submitted: Monday, Jul 26, 2010 at 23:09
ThreadID: 80333 Views:3069 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just about completed the engine swap 1HZ to 1HD-T. Complete engine and transmission assembly.

What a job. Not complicated but alot of work. Every thing is just about plug and play with the exception on the diff lock wiring and fuel line to the Pump.

I had to build a gantry to to mount a block and tackle on lift the bloody thing, talk about heavy. MY normal engine lifter had no chance of lifting it.

Just got to finish fitting the Radiator, grill, air conditioner Bull Bar and front seats.

I fitted new Big End Bearings just as a precaution bases on recommendations form other members. The old ones were worn on the top bearing shell.

Weather permitting she will be back on the road on the weekend.

Cheers
Wayne B
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 06:36

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 06:36
Hi Wayne,
That's excellent news. Yeah, they aren't a light motor and gear box set at all.
I'm glad to hear it's all come together well. I like the way you said "Every thing is just about plug and play" LOL

Thanks for letting us know how it was going.
Chhers
AnswerID: 425352

Reply By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 21:15

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 21:15
Well Done, i was going to suggest jaming a new set of mains and cap bearings in it while its out but you have done so, so i will just shut up now..............
AnswerID: 425447

Reply By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 19:04

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 19:04
Did not do the mains only the Big ends. Engine had been repaired some tine before. Bearings were 0.5 undersize

Engine is running and all looks good. Oil pressure on the original gauge is a little lower then the old 1HZ but I have been told that is normal. Apparently the Turbo engine has lower oil pressure ???? I will test the pressure with a manual gauge just to be sure. Factory specs are 4.3 !!!! psi at idle and 36 psi at 3000rpm. That is low compared to other vehicles I have owned. I am use to seeing 20+ on idle and 60+ at revs.

Now to put the grill headlights and seats back in and off for a drive.

Cheers
Wayne
AnswerID: 425569

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 19:26

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 19:26
Hi Wayne,
If you find after testing the oil pressure is not reading right, grab on off roodogs4wdspares I replaced my because it wasn't spot on.
Tried replacing the old one, there are cam's inside that can be adjusted, they are easy enough to take apart, but the little lugs break easily. I read that on ih8mud which is an interesting read.
Enjoy your first spin in her.
Just in time for the weekend. :)
FollowupID: 696076

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 22:45

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 22:45
Thanks for the tip. Very interesting reading on modifying the sender unit.

I will swap the sender out of my old engine as it was reading higher then the current one.

Cheers
Wayne
FollowupID: 696103

Sponsored Links