Best used 4WD for $20k

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 17:29
ThreadID: 8034 Views:5085 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys
A friend of mine wants to purchase a used full size 4WD for around $20k in Victoria. What do the experts here think ? No Nissan v. Toyota wars....but everyones opinion is most welcome. He is considering a Land Rover Discovery at the moment...... Where would people look besides the private ads for such a vehicle ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nigel (WA) - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 18:36

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 18:36
Hi mcboom

The main questions is what does he want to do with his 4wd? a family wagon? or touring?. For a family wagon and occasional 4wd i would go the Land Rover, but for every weekend 4wd and touring i would go a Landcrusier Troopy. It really hard cos alot of people have different opinions about this subject.

Look all i can say is do some research on the 4wd's for motor problems, interior, and other faults etc....

AnswerID: 34884

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 18:37

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 18:37
mc boom
tell him to make a list of rquirements ie number of seats what he has to carry ect then take it with him when he looks at a car & tick off against list he will very quickly find the type of car that is best suited to his needs
regards Bruce
AnswerID: 34885

Reply By: diamond(bendigo) - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 18:44

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 18:44
gday mcboom.
one of the members here eric is a whole saler in melb.
he seems like a nice bloke lol.(remember i said that eric)
try him at wholesalecars@optusnet.com.au.
and find out a little from your mate about intended use seats ect.
im pretty sure he is lazing away on a beach at the moment not sure for how long though.some one else might know.back by popular demand
:-)
AnswerID: 34888

Follow Up By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 19:06

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 19:06
So thats why i hav'nt seen his name for a while or mabe he lost it with the new rules. Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 25195

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 20:33

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 20:33
Yep, Eric posted that he was off to the Whitsundays from last Saturday for 10 days so he should be back by the middle of next week.
Willem

Wat vas is, skud los
Wat los is, val af !
FollowupID: 25206

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 20:22

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 20:22
Older discos are thirsty..

GQ Diesel would be good. 80 series Diesel, theres way too many to tell.
AnswerID: 34900

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 20:37

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 20:37
Eric at wholesale as already stated....I think he gets back during next week...He is 4x4 buying guru.......He helps ppl on this forum....

Is it just me or do Discoveries look like disabled taxis with those high top windows?..._____________________________________________

Reply By: Wheelerdog - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 09:06

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 09:06
should be able to pick up an early 90's Landcruiser for around those dollars in good nick, I paid that for a STD diesel with a few extras in immaculate condition as a guide for you.

Check www.redbook.com.au this would be a good place to check some prices
AnswerID: 34947

Reply By: zigglemeister - Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 11:00

Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 11:00
Tell him not to get a Disco if he is going to have tall people in the back for any length of time. Father-in-law has one, and I get a crick in my neck after sitting in the back, because you sit up too high (which is why it has the funny roofline, to give you the headroom) and can't quite see out the front windscreen without hunching down just a bit. Drives me nuts... I am 6'2", though. It is the most economical of the three mentioned, though (the turbodiesel - V8 is a guzzler). It doesn't have nearly as much grunt down low, but is ok once it gets wound up. It's nowhere near the size of the other two, though... if space was an issue for me I'd be looking at Pajero and especially Jackaroo before Discos. Unless he means a Defender?

My brother has a GQ, cousin has an 80 series. They're both great, but I'd have to say that the GQ seems to be better value in terms of what year model you can get for the money. 80 series is marginally more comfy, but there's not a lot in it. Both of them have added aftermarket turbos to their std diesels, and they are just great to drive. GQ would be my pick out of all of them.
AnswerID: 35056

Sponsored Links