How do these towns compare?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 16:03
ThreadID: 80344 Views:3435 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

G’day All.
Wondering how the following towns compare with Wilcannia as we all know that Wilcannia is not a good place at times.
Bourke, Cunnamulla and Charleville. Also what are the caravan parks like at these three locations?
Don’t know that there would be free camping in these locations.

Cheers P&J

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 16:09

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 16:09
Charleville is in a totally different league.
AnswerID: 425392

Reply By: Member - Ian A (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 16:17

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 16:17
Can not vouch for the Caravan parks, but have you thought about staying at Gundabooka NP, it not far from Bourke and well woth the detour, sites are gravel based but large and very peaceful out there. Some nice walks

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkCamping.aspx?id=N0100

We stayed there last year for a couple of nights at the start of a 3 week trip doing the Darling River Run

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 425393

Follow Up By: roberttbruce - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 22:08

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 22:08
i second Gundabooka, stayed there two years ago... the walks are great and the drive in interesting
FollowupID: 695978

Reply By: Wotacroc - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 16:28

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 16:28
Wilcannia is fairly unique. Daughter lives at Cunnamulla and it tends to be a pretty quiet town. Never been to the caravan park, but I believe it is OK.Bourke is in my mind a place that you can spend a fair bit of time. Without doubt the best caravan park is the one about ten kilometres north of town on the road to Cunnamulla.
AnswerID: 425394

Follow Up By: whisky_mac - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 18:36

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 18:36
Yeah, about 7 km out and called The Kidman Camp. The showers are great with plenty of hot water, a very good camp kitchen and barbeques. No need to book as they have plenty of room. Was there last week, it was busy with a lot of vans, campers and even tents but would recommend it.
Jim
FollowupID: 695948

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 18:36

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 18:36
We stayed at the CP in Cunnamulla in July 2009 and found it to be a pretty good location, with good management and a very reasonable campfire camp oven cookout for dinner. At the time there was a late afternoon influx of travellers and management permitted several additional vans to fit in wherever they could. Everybody was happy, no complaints.

I agree with Wotacroc also re Bourke as we stayed there on the way up to Cunnamulla, can't put a name to it either, the big CP on the north end of town and it was really good.

I have always been a supporter of Wilcannia CP but when we called in there earlier this year the Darling was flowing well but the CP appeared to be unattended and we ketp moving east.

Regards
Paul H
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 695949

Reply By: echucabarry - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 17:24

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 17:24
Kidman's Camp north of Bourke is quite nice but NO DOGS. They have a steak meal one night with bush poets etc.Cunnamulla is bearable but Charleville is a much better kettle of fish. Just had a great stay at Bailey Bar in Charleville with campfire dinner,damper and apple crumble.
AnswerID: 425397

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 17:36

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 17:36
Another vote for Kidman's Camp at Burke for the reasons stated, and Bailey Bar at Charleville also for reasons stated, also have yabby races each arvo happy hour. Fairly cramped, gets busy, but great staff, and artesian hot water available to boot. May's bend, not far from Kidmans Camp, supposedly good free site on the river, but haven't stayed there myself.

Fred
FollowupID: 695937

Follow Up By: Member - A J- Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:15

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:15
I recently camped at May's Bend at Bourke which is a good spot to camp - would I stay there again and the answer is yes. By the looks of the tracks a number of people stay there.

In respect to Wilcania, last year we camped some 2 kms north of the town on the river with no problems at all. There were other people also camped around the bend in the river and some campers came in just on sunset. Would I camp there again and the answer is yes. We were directed to that spot by the fellow at the local fuel depot.
Being on the river we fished, caught and released a very good cod.

A J
FollowupID: 696014

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 20:01

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 20:01
We found Charleville to be a good place. We stayed at the Evening Star about 10 km out of town on a station and found it very good. See Badgers site for reports on caravan parks Badgers Caravan Park Reports
AnswerID: 425432

Reply By: Member - Terry W (ACT) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 21:18

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 21:18
We spent three nights in Bourke last week on our way to Cameron Corner. We stayed at the Mitchell Street CP, and found it to be very good. We drove through Kidman Camp on our way to the PV Jandra, and were not impressed with what appeared to us to be very cramped sites, but we did not stay there. Couldn't anyway, because of the dog. We had planned to stay in Bourke only two nights, but loved the place so much that we stayed an extra day.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 425448

Follow Up By: PandJ - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 15:04

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 15:04
Thanks for all the replies and sound like there is plenty to choose from. May do some touristy things in the towns so will look forward to some nice parks and maybe free spots. Thanks one and all. P&J
FollowupID: 696034

Sponsored Links