Pooncarrie / Menindee

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 19:16
ThreadID: 80350 Views:3209 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
2 queries... how good is the road from Pooncarrie to Menindee (corregations etc.) and how adviseable to tow a pop top caravan along there???

Assuming it will be dry, we would like to make the trip next Sunday !st Aug.

Thanks...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Miranda Ron - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 19:31

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 19:31
Did that trip two weeks ago after it had been raining for a day and road was ok.

No corrugations to worry about but can change dramatically when wet.

Todays forcast on the weather channel is predicting heavy rain up that way in the next few days,

Trouble was getting accurate road conditions. We stayed in Menindee on a wet Sunday and all the phone road conditions services hadnt been updated from the previous friday.

The Monday morning arrived sunny and we hit the road and had no problems 1999 Pathfinder.

Make sure you call in at Mungo NP that place is incredible

Have fun

Ron
AnswerID: 425418

Follow Up By: bruce - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 20:50

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 20:50
We did it 12 weeks ago and it was shocking to put it mildly...biggest corrugations I have ever seen and ever want to see....and believe me we have seen a few since , but none quite as bad as that lot...we rode into Broken Hill on the back of the tow truck with the van behind it and me and the missus in the cab with the driver.Rear pipe of exhaust came off and the hot gases coming straight out of the muffler burnt the wiring at the back the Falcon wagon...lucky not to set the car on fire...but like the previous reply conditions can change , it may have been better a few days later or even a few days earlier...we copped a crook day...cheers
FollowupID: 695971

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 21:38

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 21:38
I think it is a better trip coming up the west side of the river and generally the road is better.
Cross the bridge a couple of K's down from Pooncarie and come out through Kinchega to Menindee.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 425452

Follow Up By: Going Bush - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 09:43

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 09:43
Thanks for the tip, we will be going that way next week
FollowupID: 696012

Sponsored Links