towing a van from Windorah to Bedourie and then to Boulia??

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 20:53
ThreadID: 80356 Views:5830 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. In September we would like to travel from Windorah on the Diamantina developmental rd to Bedourie and then Boulia. Then onto the Donahue and Plenty HWY over to Alice Springs (and Uluru).Is it possible to travel these roads if you are towing a small van (ours is 14ft and are towing with a nissan patrol)? Any information would be appreciated. We cannot find any info about travelling to Alice Springs with a van via this route and are assuming that you can't travel along these roads whilst towing a van. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 21:21

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 21:21
I did this route last year with my Camp'o'matic offroad camper with no problems.
IMHO it would be better to have an offroad van, as the Plenty can be plenty rough, and the road from Bedourie to Boulia has some rough sections.

AFAIR there were no sections needing good approach or departure angles.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 425449

Reply By: Qldrrr - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 21:44

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2010 at 21:44
Hi Guys, just did this exact route two weeks ago (we are at Yularu as we speak) without too much drama's after some heavy rain. Roughest road was Windorah to Bedourie stretch following some decent rain - fair bit of chopped up road and bog holes but no real problems and vans getting through OK - mud everywhere. At Bedourie stay at the council park, just on your left when you come in to town, nice spot with hot showers, washing machines etc - 50 metres to the pub - say high to the locals - great tourist info spot. From there drove from Boulia on the Donahue - the road is by far better on the Qld side - and that's saying something for Qld road which are normally not good - honestly travelled at 80 kmph without dramas, after hitting NT side dropped dramatically to at points 30 kmph on rough corrugations and bog holes that had dried up - but having said that nothing too dramatic - drive to the conditions - any 4WD would cope with it and graders working both ends - 3 a stretch on the Qld side!!! We had two nights on the Donahue / Plenty - camped on river banks - awesome spots, no toilets etc but nice quiet spots under the stars. I should mention we have a newish prado diesel and towing a Jayco pop top outback model that may be a bit more capable than your set up but again, drive to the conditions and you'll be fine. Biggest issue is wet weather so keep an eye on how much rain the tracks have had. We drove Alice to West McDonnell ranges - fantastic spot - camped at Ormiston Gorge - from there did day trips all the way including Palm Gorge (Finke River) which I rate as the best 4WD track ever then did the Mereenie loop (very rough as we speak) to Yularu. Anyway enough rambling - if you want some more info get on to me and I'll happily give you some contact details - give it a crack you'll love it.
AnswerID: 425454

Follow Up By: Joshane - Friday, Jul 30, 2010 at 07:19

Friday, Jul 30, 2010 at 07:19
Thanks for your reply. How long did it take you to travel from Windorah to Alice Springs? Did you see many standard vans travelling along these roads? Cheers
FollowupID: 696234

Follow Up By: jcm68 - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 12:14

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 12:14
Hi

How far along the plenty/Donahue is the camping spot on the river bank ,,Is it about half way across ?
FollowupID: 696627

Follow Up By: Qldrrr - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 16:57

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 16:57
It took us 3 days to do the plenty and we camped at Georgina River and Marshall River - both interesting spots. Didn't notice may standard vans on the road actually all were 4wd or off road. The Georgina River is on the QLD side and Marshall River is half way along the NT part of the Plenty. cheers.
FollowupID: 696749

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 08:59

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 08:59
If you have a standard van you would be advised to travel very slowly to prevent damage. If the roads are dry they will also be dusty and most standard vans allow dust to get in everywhere so you will need to seal it well.

Brian
Brian
Doing it tuff, Towing a Bushtracker.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 425486

Reply By: The Landy - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:37

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:37
You could consdier going Windorah to Boulia via Diamantina NP, no problems for the vanalong this route, and wel worth the vsit, unless of course you have a particular reason to go via Bedourie.

We were out there recently (blog refers), and you can easily spend a few days 'soaking' it up.

Cheers, The Landy
AnswerID: 425500

Reply By: Joshane - Friday, Jul 30, 2010 at 07:14

Friday, Jul 30, 2010 at 07:14
Hi there. Thanks for all of the replies. We will be towing an older style millard van. After reading all of your replies my husband is keen to go that way, however I'm still a bit hesitant. For those of you that have travelled this route recently, did you see many other standard vans along the way on these roads? Thanks again
AnswerID: 425717

Follow Up By: jcm68 - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 12:11

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 12:11
Hi

We are planning the same trip after we leave Birdville races,departing (6/09/10)
We have an old style viscount van and after all the inquire I have made if you take it steady you make it with no real problems..
FollowupID: 696626

Follow Up By: Joshane - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 16:01

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 16:01
Thanks. Keep us posted with how you go.
Cheers
FollowupID: 696645

Follow Up By: The Landy - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 17:23

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 17:23
All nds, you'll have no problem subject to there being no rain, which they have had plenty of recently.

Consider Diamantina NP, no problems either way with your van.

Cheers, The Landy
FollowupID: 696752

Sponsored Links