bedslide to hold tent and mattress a la Adventure Camper

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 13:30
ThreadID: 80368 Views:3423 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

I love many features of the Adventure Offroad Campers, (as well as the Camprites) but can't afford either at the moment.

I am hoping to build a poor man's hybrid version using my current off road 7x4 trailer that we currently use to haul our tent and all our gear.

My idea is to have a "slide" that pulls out of the back/rear of the trailer, holds a 2mx1m platform supported by adjustable legs at the end. It is hinged longways to a second 2m x 1m piece to open like a book (or preferably but harder to envision, that the top piece slides over and sits next to the bottom piece. This would allow the tent to be stored on top of the second piece and cut out one step in setting up) with its own adjustable support legs, to give a 2m x 2m solid platform on which to pitch my oztent with mattress to give me the effect of the rear slide out bed on the Adventure Camper.

I hope these thousand words can paint the picture!!

The legs and platform pieces are easily imagined and constructed. A bit harder is the slide mechanism and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a manufacturer that sells such items ready made. I haven't had a lot of luck googling and I thought someone else on here might know just the place. I am in WA so closer to home the better, thanks,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rip64 - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 14:06

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 14:06
Is the slide you are thinking of similar to that on Jayco/coromal pop-out campers - double or Queen bed slides are available as replacement parts from both of the above.
AnswerID: 425516

Follow Up By: IdahOz - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 20:40

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 20:40
I can't seem to find what you are describing, do you have a link or website you know of?
FollowupID: 696092

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 17:34

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 17:34
Hi IdahOz,

Sounds a good plan, but .....

For it to be strong enough to lie on you'll need either some pretty strong (heavy) ply or some reinforcing. You might care to have a look at our Blog detailing our Troopy setup where you'll see how we used 12mm chipboard with 12x40x3mm aluminium angle reinforcement for the bed base. Your base will be bigger so I'd suggest go a bit bigger reinforcing than ours. (It has stood up ok, but we are only spanning 1.5m)

If you slide it out 2m there will be a fair amount of weight, so suggest it may be worth hinging the legs to the base so that you can simple drop them down at any time you or your codriver need to rest.

For a poor man's slide, have a look at the solar panel mounting pic on our blog. Simply a steel C channel, with high density plastic block (such as in kitchen plastic cutting board) running in it. Slides easily and won't rattle. May not be strong enough for your purposes.

Good luck with it.

HTH

John

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 425543

Follow Up By: IdahOz - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 20:29

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 20:29
Thanks for your ideas. I enjoyed you blog, your troopy set up looks great!! As we are fortunate enough to be travelling with 4 children we need almost all the space in our troopie for seating!!
FollowupID: 696090

Sponsored Links