Water in reversing camera

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 16:34
ThreadID: 80372 Views:5701 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone had luck with a 'waterproof' reversing camera.
I use mine mainly to line up the Treg Hitch with the Van .

My first one got condensation in it after I washed the car (rare event) so I bought a new more expensive one that was advertised as "waterproof" and even sealed it with Liquid Insulation tape around the joint, cable entry & screw holes.

Washed car this morning & got condensation inside again, Must be getting in around the lens. using a heatgun to dry it out makes matters worse as there is no where for moisture to go, It gets in but cant get out.

Pulled apart & Bolw waved & dried out put back together, This time will liquid tape around lens If I ca hold my hand steady enough. Wont wash car again .

any answers, thanks ..don
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nargun51 - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 17:32

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 17:32
Sure its water getting in?

It may be condensation from a humid atmosphere in the light forming when there is a change of temperature when cold water from the hose hits it

Of course if its half full with water, theres a leak somewhere!
AnswerID: 425542

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 17:38

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 17:38
I cant help you with a remedy for water getting into your camera, but to me it sounds odd.
I've been working in the waste industry for 10 years or so and all of our equipment has reverse cameras.
The trucks get washed at least once a week sometimes more and I cant recall any of them have the problems with moisture.
At moment, The are 8 trucks with 3 cameras on each.
I cant tell you what brand of cameras it is but you want I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know.

Shane
AnswerID: 425545

Reply By: The Landy - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 17:43

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 17:43
My reversing camera (came with VMS GPS) has been in and out of water via creek crossings over the past month and has no water...doesn't help your situation, but might reinforce what others are saying........

Cheers, The Landy
AnswerID: 425548

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 18:14

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 18:14
Hi Don,
I use my wife (SWMBI) as my "reversing camera " & have never had a problem with water getting into her, unless of course it is raining!

She is quite expert at it & her instructions via a hand held two way radio to help hook up or back the van onto the site are clear, crisp & at times a bit "hurtful", but she is very good at it!! I wouldn't trade her for quids!

Mind you, when the sun crosses the yard arm & it is time for happy hour she doesn't mind topping up her moisture content with a bit of Chardonnay! LOL

Good Luck, & I hope you get it sorted.
AnswerID: 425555

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 18:26

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 18:26
Have had the same problem but just unscrewed it and dried it out and havet had it do it again.

My camera is under the top taildoor in the Cruiser so doesnt get very wet and as i havent washed it since October last year it hasnt suffered from that.

LOL
AnswerID: 425558

Follow Up By: Fatso - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 19:29

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 19:29
Jesus Graham. Haven't washed your car since October last year.
I thought it was Pommies that were scared of soapy water not Kiwis.
FollowupID: 696077

Follow Up By: walruz - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 19:52

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 19:52
Don't bag the Kiwis mate.... I hear there's a footy game on this weekend ha ha.
FollowupID: 696082

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 20:30

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 20:30
Im in Coffs Harbour Just put it outside twice a week It gets washed every time

Last time it had a real wash was in October at Esperance.

FollowupID: 696091

Sponsored Links