Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 20:49

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 20:49
tray of what?

Andrew
AnswerID: 425589

Reply By: racinrob - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 20:58

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 20:58
G'day Leon, biased reply but I carry a Compass solid sided slide on pop-top on my LandCruiser tray back, it has done all the hard treks during the last ten years without any drama. Weather proof, dust proof, comfortable and very versatile. IMHO slide-ons are very under rated.

racinrob.
AnswerID: 425595

Reply By: Member - Tezza Qld - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 21:22

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 21:22
Hi

Only way to go especially for two people. We spend as much time as possible out and about and the slide on gives great versatility. In my opinion slide on campers are best suited to single cab utes
The lighter dual cab and extra cab utes have the wrong configuration to handle much weight, which has to be suitated towards the rear of the these vehicles.

With the average weight of a slide on camper going around 650 kg when loaded it pays to keep an eye on the vehicles gvm. We had to do a gvm upgrade just to keep on the safe side.

Cheers Teza
AnswerID: 425601

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 22:11

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 22:11
For a couple touring Oz it's possibly the best way to to get around remote areas in comfort without restriction. Most are very quick to setup. Just need to keep an eye on weight as easy to go over GVM when fully loaded.
Trayon are a tough unit, Outback Campers make a sturdy lightweight alloy model that is well featured as do Tailgate Campers with a truely offroad version.
Cheers Craig.........
AnswerID: 425605

Reply By: ian - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 22:33

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 22:33
Leon,
I am interested in one myself, but only on full size 4x4 tray, ie landcruiser. I have seen 4x4 work utes with slide-ons with broken springs. Just not strong enough.
Ian
AnswerID: 425610

Reply By: Navara Navvy - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 22:58

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 22:58
We have a Traymate (solid, insulated, lightweight, poptop) on a Navara with upgraded suspension (West Coast med duty), airbags(Firestone 20psi) over Cooper tyres.
Most capable and handles all the very worst of roads and conditions but gives us extreme comfort. Have just completed a Gunbarrel/Connie Sue trip over nasty roads and mud but we made it through OK. (See blog) We have tried all the other alternatives but this works the best of all, no extra tyres on the road, very quick to set up, no restrictions on where you can go and comfort from any bad weather. The ute capabilities are not affected to any major degree with steep sections, wash aways, rocks all tacked with aplomb. Enough room inside to get out of the weather and we are completely self sufficient.
Sounds like an advertisement for!!!!!! Jokes aside they are well worth looking seriously at.
Cheers
AnswerID: 425613

Reply By: Geoff M - Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 07:58

Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 07:58
Hi Leon,

We looked at various options such as camper trailers and traytop campers before settling on a traytop option (Trayon). As mentioned by other posts, it depends on your needs and where you wish to travel.

Some words of warning - look carefully at the weight of the camper as many on the market could potentially overload your vehicle. Also carefully consider any modifications to your vehicle - there have been plenty of previous posts on the damage to vehicle chassis by the inappropriate installation of airbags.

Good luck with your investigation and decision.

Geoff
AnswerID: 425625

Reply By: Outa Bounds - Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 15:01

Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 15:01
My Father In Law has one on a newish model Highlux, I think it's a great set up for one / two people, you can pull up anywhere and have everything you need.

When we were younger and without kids we started off camping and travelling out of the back of the ute, it just had a canvas canopy, cupboards under a false floor and then a bed on top. I suppose having had a camper on the back of it would have been ideal, but we were young enough to climb in out with ease I guess and crouch in there trying to get stuff out! Lol

I could easily see myself with that sort of set up when the kids leave home, if we're going to be towing something it would probably be a small caravan I guess and that would only likely be if we were living in caravan parks a lot during the journeys, but if we're going to look for offroad adventure I wouldn't like to worry about having to tow anything.

If you didn't like any of the tray campers on the market you could get an engineering place to make you a custom alloy canopy and maybe even have a roof top tent on that.
AnswerID: 425651

Reply By: lizard - Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 19:45

Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 19:45
We have a C M Campers (http://www.cm-campers.com.au/) on back of our GU Patrol ute for CSR (in a weeks time - you beauty) .... is well made & we like the design - will report back - with photos !
AnswerID: 425682

Follow Up By: Carree (WA) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 01:24

Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 01:24
Hi Lizard, we to have a C&M Camper, bout 5 years and have been very happy with it. It has done a lot of offroad kms ie Canning, gunbarrel, cape etc never had a problem except wife now wants to get into a caravan so will be for sale soon. Best of luck and happy travelling
Carree
FollowupID: 696316

Reply By: Member - Dale L (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 01:35

Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 01:35
hi there i have a new 2010 landcruser tray back extended the tray to carry the travelander on it but come up to heavy so had GVM done by ARB to 3650kgs truck came up at 3850 so watch your weight the camper has every thing you kneed in it .now i have to get TJM to put in there GVM of 3900KGS for it to be leagile with a QLD mod plate
AnswerID: 426229

Sponsored Links