Headlight fault

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 17:59
ThreadID: 80402 Views:2133 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi to all,
I have an '05 HZJ 105 cruiser (updated version) and last night my neighbor knocks on the front door as tells me that I have left my headlights on (they where shining in his window), how can they be on I thought to myself as I unlocked the door and switch them off, this is where it gets weird, the switch WAS off and after turning them on/off/on/off the headlights stayed on, once I turned the ignition on, the lights went off and stayed off.
They weren't on at 8.00 pm when my wife came home and my neighbor woke me at about 12, the lights where dull by that time, the battery had virtually no charge so I linked the 2nd battery and that got me to work which was only 15 minutes away.

Once I got to work I turned off the headlights (4am) and left the yard,
at about 7.30 boss rings me and says that I left my lights on!

This afternoon once I got back I linked the 2nd battery (again) to start and noticed the headlights where on low beam and staying on(switch was OFF) but no taillights or dash lights.

I'm aware that this vehicle has a body module for things such as "day lights" and the ability to turn off headlights that have been left on accidently, could this be malfunctioning?
I have pulled the fuses while I recharge the battery tonight, so, my question is, has anybody encountered something similar, I have discounted a stuck relay simply because it has to be on to begin with.
I think I'll have to take it to Toyota but before I do I would like hear other suggestions.

Shane
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 18:35

Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 18:35
Has it been raining? a leaking windscreen or roof rack bolt holes will allow water down into the fuse boards and cause all sorts of lights to come on and off.I know first hand.
AnswerID: 425674

Follow Up By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 19:07

Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 19:07
Actually yes it has, I've never had problems before and I can't see any water inside, but I'll certainly pull some covers off have a good look in the day light

Shane
FollowupID: 696185

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 19:12

Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 19:12
Ours leaked around the windscreen, top RH corner.We had all sorts of stuff happening, radio coming on and not turning off, headlights on, indicators flashing, dash fully lit up.All I could do was disconect the battery and wait, usually 12hrs before it settled down.
Another leak point is where the roof rack bolt holes are in the roof.
FollowupID: 696187

Follow Up By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Friday, Jul 30, 2010 at 17:30

Friday, Jul 30, 2010 at 17:30
Thanks Nick,
I was aware of the roof rack bolts leaking if not installed right, but I havent had any problems since it was fitted 4 years ago, wouldn't hurt to take them out and re-apply some sealant,
I havent changed the windscreen, however It bought it second hand (8 months old) so it maybe a possibility that its been changed
Shane
FollowupID: 696282

Reply By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 20:00

Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 20:00
i believe the headlight relays are built in to the module in the L/H??? kick panel. could be the right( saw a thread on a similar problem on another forum) and yes his screen leaked into the relays and cooked them so it is a definate possibility. thank christ i have not had any such related problems after my screen change about 6 years ago, i have had a cracked screen in it again for about 2 years but not game enough to change it.
AnswerID: 425683

Follow Up By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Friday, Jul 30, 2010 at 17:33

Friday, Jul 30, 2010 at 17:33
Thanks for that, I will pull both kick panels apart and look for signs of water ingress, for the time being I will leave the battery disconnected and give it chance to dry out, if it is the problem
Shane
FollowupID: 696283

Reply By: Member - Stuart P (WA) - Friday, Jul 30, 2010 at 22:06

Friday, Jul 30, 2010 at 22:06
the headlight relays are actually part of the fuse box on the passenger side behind the battery
AnswerID: 425784

Sponsored Links