Info required on replacing my water pump and timming belt

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 11:51
ThreadID: 80429 Views:4413 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,
I will be replacing my timming belt and water pump while I am at it on my 1996 3.5 Litre V6 Pajero engine
my question is- do I need any special tools such as gear pullers also are there any hints or tricks that anyone can add that may help make the job easier. I assume that I will be removing the radiator,all belts and engine shrouds to get to the belt. I have a workshop manual but it is more pictorial than a step by step guide.
Any information is much appreciated.

Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roughasguts - Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 12:13

Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 12:13
I have replaced many timming belts in my time, bought the water pump and belt for me last job on the Paj and thought I would ring lube mobile for a quote.
There quote 180 bucks just for labour! Bargain I thought so gave them the job.
Saves a lot of skun knuckles was well worth it at that price. If I went to work instead I would have earn't 6 times that.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 425815

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 20:55

Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 20:55
Bet he didn't do the next one for that price. lol. It's worth twice that much. Bob

FollowupID: 696392

Follow Up By: Roughasguts - Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 23:12

Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 23:12
Yeah but he didn't complain I bought him lunch and Beers, and said he gets a flat wage so didn't matter to him how much the quote was for.
Think I might be disapointed next time I try for a quote (bummer)

Cheers
FollowupID: 696401

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 13:27

Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 13:27
First things first, I know nothing of the Pajero engine configuration, but would think you will need a gear puller at least.

That outa the way, I've replaced the timing belt on my Toyota, 4 maybe 5 times and although the workshop manual states I need a gear puller to do the job I manage with 2 large screwdrivers and a hammer.

Is horses for courses, if your not confident, then give it to someone else to do because then you have to remember, you will also have to realign the gears, belt and engine timing up again, if you get any of that wrong you probably will have a valve going into the top of each piston the instant you turn the ignition key.

I think it's an easy choice to make, if you’re not aware of what tools you need, then take it to someone else to do for you.

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 425825

Reply By: Ianw - Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 20:32

Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 20:32
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Trolling Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 425853

Reply By: briancc - Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 22:37

Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 22:37
Did my son's 3 litre Pajero a while back. Made up a simple holder bar thing for the crank pulley and camshaft sprockets, that was really handy. The original crank sprocket didn't have any holes drilled / tapped to get a puller in there and was a real pain to get off. Ended up wrecking that one. The new sprocket has tapped holes ,good for next time, but a cheap puller would have got it off otherwise.
AnswerID: 425930

Reply By: steved58 - Monday, Aug 02, 2010 at 23:38

Monday, Aug 02, 2010 at 23:38
Have done my Nl twice

1 use the starter motor to loosen the harmonic balancer bolt let a long breaker bar com up against the k frame and kick over starter

2 Use a new bolt to reinstall the balancer they have a habit of coming loose some times a long way down the track at least use loctite to secure the bolt or the crank could be damaged (very important ! )

3 Label all the hoses and electrical connections

4 use a vice to push the belt tensioner back in and secure with a small allen key prior to installation also check for sevicability

5 It is well worth changing the cam seals and the crank seal while the belt is off

6 If the spark plugs are anywhere near due replacement do it now while all the top is exposed

7 If any oil leaks are evident from around the rocker covers it is also an ideal time to replace I didn't and had to strip down and replace cam seals and rocker gaskets 12 months later

It is quite easy you will see as you progress however leave plenty of time so as to be a stress free experience all the best
Steve
AnswerID: 426034

Reply By: silverpaj - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 18:11

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 18:11
Thanks guys your help is very much appreciated. I have now got a manual on this. I will be extra careful in making sure all four cams and crank timing marks line up when the new belt is installed (maybe mark them with white paint pen). Will I need a special puller to remove the cam gears and harmonic balancer? I had to take my balancer of my old V6 commodore once to get to the sensor and needed a special heavy duty puller as the cheap three pronged type would not budge her.
Cheers
Mark
AnswerID: 426091

Sponsored Links