HEMA V VMS navigation systems

This question must have been asked many a time however I am new to exploroz and would like to get some views on the better of the 2 systems. when in the Desert last I found my Garmin Nuvi with TOPO maps was almost useless so I am looking to update so any advice or views would be a help.

Thanks Vern
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 15:59

Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 15:59
Hi Vern

What were the inadequacies of the Garmin maps? We have tried neither Garmin nor Hema or VMS as we have an older Magellan, but i follow with interest as dome day i will upgrade. Garmin has a lot of supporters, including some of our off the beaten track travellers.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 425834

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 16:00

Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 16:00
Oops typo - SOME day i will upgrade
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 696360

Follow Up By: Vernp - Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 16:13

Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 16:13
Don't get me wrong the Garmin is good and for most its great however when we where travelling to and from the Desert and in the desert the TOPO maps for Garmin left wanting. Some one had a HEMA and this seamed to have all the tracks and info. When I visited Opposite Lock today they recommended VMS not the HEMA although they sell both. So I walked out a little bit more confused. Hence the question HEMA v VMS
FollowupID: 696362

Follow Up By: Gossy - Monday, Aug 02, 2010 at 16:20

Monday, Aug 02, 2010 at 16:20
same from Electric Bug in Adelaide. The VMS is much better around town also.

Ironically (so I was told), VMS make the Hema (same internals) but they give themselves the competitive edge by making theirs a bit better.

i bought the VMS yesterday from the caravan and camping show really cheap :)
FollowupID: 696547

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 16:18

Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 16:18
Hi

Exact same question was ask a week or two ago...

VMS_or_HEMA_navigator

Not many responses. One good point made is that both can be used to run the same maps via OziExplorer (for out of town stuff)....so in that reqard they can be considered equal. Up to you I suppose to decide if the hardware suits. Also make sure that there are actually maps available for your area of interest with the detail you want (impossible for anyone else to decide this for you) - you may be just be changing units with the same end result.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 425835

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 18:19

Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 18:19
As I understand it.............(second hand).....
The original 4.3 HEMA was a joint venture between VMS and HEMA.
That 'partnership' collapsed.
The reliability of the 4.3 HEMA (made by VMS) was pretty terrible and returns were high.
The HEMA 5 is HEMA's own design and is a reliable product.
I have no idea of the reliability of the 5" VMS product.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 696376

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 21:24

Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 21:24
I have a 5" VMS and find it great. Before I bought it had a look at HEMA and VMS.Tthe VMS is easier to use and any bugs [if there were any] have been fixed.I know at one stage there was an upgrade.
Certainlly had no problems with mine.
If you go to www.alwaysdirect.com.au you will find a copy of the VMS. Around $139.00

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 696484

Reply By: Member - Jeff P (SA) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 20:00

Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 20:00
I use a Garmin GPSMap60Cx and a HEMA 4.3 For bush work I use Shonkymaps on the Garmin and either the Topo or Hema maps on the HEMA.

Shonkymaps are a free version of the Australian 1:250000 topo's but there is no support from the originator. There is however a quite a community of users who offer some support. Google them and have a look, they may be better than what you have on you Nuvi.

However you need to be aware that depending on where you are the topo maps could be over at least 20 years old. Go to Geosciences Australia and look at the maps, the info is there. All retailers will tell you that they have the latest maps, which is true, but they may be 30 or more years old. Only people like HEMA maps are producing updated maps but they are not topo's, they are GPS tracked road/track maps.

Hope this helps, By the way I never go bush with out copious paper maps as well, they are all different and compilent each other and the electronic gizmos
AnswerID: 425851

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 09:42

Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 09:42
I love the HEMA and its associated range of Hema maps.

I do have a spiral bound book of Hema maps plus the Great Desert Map series on plastic coated print, so they are exactly the same as the maps on the Hema.

SWMBO likes the "birds eye view" displayed by a printed map because she gets a better perspective, but I still need to show her exactly where we are at any given time.

As far as the VMS unit is concerned, I assume it provides similar functionality to the Hema Navigator, but by the time you buy OziExplorer and the Hema series and the NATMAP series of digital maps and work out how to install them, I wonder if you really save all that much in money or time.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 425883

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 09:54

Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 09:54
Yes..based on one relailers info the addition of OziExplorerCe and Hema 2010 Map collection will set you back another $219 for the VMS Touring 500 giving a total price of $1,088. Though I am not sure of what software/maps it comes with (ie do you need to use OziExplorerCe?) - its states that it comes standard with - Comprehensive coverage of 4WD tracks - is this in reference to the standard 250K Natmaps?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 696414

Reply By: Patrol22 - Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 12:19

Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 12:19
I did a west-east crossing of Aus last year with two other vehicles. I was running Hema maps on my Asus PDA (have since upgraded to a Hema 5), one of the others was running paper maps, and the third was running a Garmin Nuvi with Shonky Maps installed. Can't say there was too much difference among the three set up really except the paper maps option required a little stopover - bit difficult to read on the run so to speak :-). Shonky maps seem to be a great option for Garmin users and you can read about them HERE. .....and they are free.
AnswerID: 425900

Sponsored Links