Wilcannia to Bourke via Tilpa and Louth

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 13:12
ThreadID: 80451 Views:9821 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Can some kind person please advise what the surface and condition of this road is like and if there is any good camping spots along the way. Thanks P&J
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 13:17

Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 13:17
Hi PandJ

If you are planning on doing in now, the simple answer is DO NOT!!

Lots of rain out that way and most roads are closed.

It could be up to a week before the roads are open, but if there is more rain it could be a lot longer.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 425902

Follow Up By: PandJ - Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 13:37

Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 13:37
Hi Stephen,

Going through your location t'morro and was heading to Bourke, Charleville around next week, looks like will have to stick to the tar ! Cheers P&J
FollowupID: 696436

Reply By: Member - Julie & John (VIC) - Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 13:20

Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 13:20
Gday...
We just came from White Cliffs yesterday. The sealed road Willcannia to White Cliffs was still officially closed but Bunker Creek across the road was still about 10" deep and the creek was about 150metres wide. However, all the dirt roads around White Cliffs - and that would probably include most of where you are asking about - will be closed for the next couple of days - at least.
On Thursday night - 5am to 9am - 46mm fell in the area, with a further 15mm falling between 9am and 12noon.
The sides of the sealed road White Cliffs to Wilcannia were still flooded - whole paddocks under water for upto a km along the road in some places.
The Barrier Hwy Wilcannia to Cobar was open, but still some very slight areas of water across the Hwy. Again, the amount of water still flowing in the creeks along the way, and the amount of water laying in the paddocks on the sides of the hwy suggest the area is pretty damp throughout.
Others may have move specific 'dirt road' reports - but I would be pretty sure there are not many roads open at the moment in NW NSW.
Cheers
Julie & John
AnswerID: 425903

Follow Up By: PandJ - Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 13:42

Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 13:42
Julie and John,

Thanks for the update, sounds like the country up north and east will look very lush around September with heaps of wild flowers. Even if roads are open next weekend they could be best missed to allow to dry out completely. Thanks P&J
FollowupID: 696437

Reply By: PradoMad - Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 15:14

Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 15:14
make sure that you check out Kallara Farm stay. specializing in organic sheep!
http://www.kallarastation.com.au/ just outside Tilpa. Awesome riverside stay. They gave us a map to tour around their property. Bought leg of organic lamb for $25.00 was enough to feed the 8 of us.
JS
AnswerID: 425905

Reply By: Tim - Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 15:43

Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 15:43
I can confirm the Louth Bourke Road (Following the Darling River) is closed and will be for a while yet. The Louth Races are scheduled for 2 weeks time however the road will make or break that event so they are in no hurry to open the road prematurley only to have it destroyed prior to the races.
The next road update will be put out by Bourke council about 830am tomorrow.
Tim
AnswerID: 425906

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 17:39

Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 17:39
I can't comment on current conditions as it is a long time since I was up that way.

What I can tell you is to make sure you check the condition of both roads, east and west of the river.

It is not uncommon for one to be open and the other closed. It works both ways and you may have to cross the river to keep manage the full trip. There are bridges at both Tilpa and Louth.

As for camping spots, there are plenty. Most of the land is leashold and you should get permission from the property managers before making camp but generally that is not too difficult. You can get a list of contact numbers for those who will allow camping from the Bourke or Broken Hill tourist information offices.

It is a really nice trip especially in spring or autumn. You don't say when you are planning to do the trip and conditions do change rapidly so continue to check conditions as your trip gets closer.

Duncs
AnswerID: 425912

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 18:02

Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 18:02
According to the local Broken Hill paper yesterday.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A family of 4 have been stranded on the Wilcannia- Bourke Rd since Thursday night, and police said that there was no way anyone could get there to rescue them due to the rain still falling.
Apparently they are pretty hungry, but at least there is plenty of water around according to the police.

They had driven through road closed signs which had been up for about 4 days.
They face a fine of $1000 per wheel including the spare according to the police.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 425914

Reply By: PandJ - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 14:55

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 14:55
Thanks all looks like going the long way but that matter. Cheers P&J
AnswerID: 426168

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 16:00

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 16:00