Best Camp Sites - Ningaloo Station

Hi All,

We are planning a trip to Ningaloo station for April next Year.

We have never been to Ningaloo before.

Can anyone offer some insight as to the best or better campsites. We have 2 children aged 9 and 5 and have been told that Winderabandi is the best spot for kids. Ive seen and read about South Lefroy as being a beautiful spot but im not sure if its a good spot with little ones (strong currents etc)

Also we will be towing a camper trailer. How are the tracks leading to the campsites. I have heard that the track to Winderabandi is very soft sand.
Has anyone had much difficulty getting a fully loaded camper in and out.

Thanks in Advance and I look froward to reading your replies
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: 02.murray - Monday, Aug 02, 2010 at 19:53

Monday, Aug 02, 2010 at 19:53
We didn't enjoy Ningaloo Station at all - we stayed at Billy's Landing and were not happy with the campsites or the coast there - the drawback about Ningaloo Station is that each indivdual area has a gate with a separate key - if you decide you don't like the area, you cannot even explore the others with a view to moving. We also stayed at Waroora Station - magical - no keys to confine you - Elles has some of the best snorkelling we have ever done and 14 mile camp had a beautiful safe swimming beach (lagoon like with the reef about 1km offshore). At Elles, the reef comes right into shore and you can actually reef walk at really low tides (below 0.8m).Ningaloo also charge a $100 environmental levy (refundable) - a joke considering we found many of the campsites littered and they didn't have any garbage disposal facilities or facilities to dispose of chemical waste. Waroora $75 per week (for 2 adults - children under 16 free) and Ningaloo $60 per week) for 2 adults (children under 12 free). You have over 70km of coastline at Waroora to explore - we have a camper trailer and could tow it anywhere at Waroora. Road from Ningaloo Homestead to campsites is pretty ordinary - Waroora Station roads great - hope this helps - We stayed at Waroora for one week and planned to stay at Ningaloo for 2 weeks but ended up going back to Waroora. Murrray
AnswerID: 426009

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 18:25

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 18:25
Hi Tony,
I saw your post yesterday and wanted to reply but didn't time (at the time). Firstly, we are big fans of Ningaloo Station. Have you located our blogs about trips there - click the link in the footer of my post here and you'll be able to find them - also the link in top of this post to the article about Ningaloo was written to provide more info on the area so hope you find that useful. now, what I wanted to also say was that within the station camping area everything is wildness camping/beach camping - ie. no designated camp sites, so you can pick any space you like. A lot of your experience camping will depend on the weather at the time. You have advised April - this is an interesting time of year for Ningaloo - sometimes it can be very windy, and very hot at that time of year, other times ideal. Personally, we go there in June/July - weather is mild but still ideal for swimming during the day and we have found fishing to be spot on but with that said the fish species you'll catch in April will just be seasonally different due to the changes in water temp. Anytime sharks are a problem stealing your catch as you haul it onboard so be quick!

Your comment regarding kids - we have 2 young ones. Our youngest was 2 when we camped at South Lefroy for the first time and we find this a better camp than Winderabandi - I have never seen a current running at Sth Lefroy and we often stay for over 3wks per visit - the water at the shore line is protected by the reef. I would happily give you my personal recommendation that Sth Lefroy is ideal for you and the kids. We also have a 9 year old, who has camped there at ages 5 and again at 8.

Regading the camper - the majority of people take campers and even caravans there. You jsut take your pick fo the sites based on how soft into the sand you want to go. You'll be guaranttedd of a front row position no matter how safe you want to be - caravans tend to take the beach section a little to the south, campers to the north of the bay. However - most people trying to get caravans along the softer sand stretch to get to the best campsites on the north end of the Sth Lefroy bay get bogged upon arrival - but expect it, take your time, keep your tyres pressures low, and don't stress and you'll be fine. You can always unhitch, and drag your camper into place - or someone will pop their head out to check if you need a hand. It is not a dangerous stretch of beach to drive along with a track running along the scrub in which there are bays where you camp (bays created by the wheel tracks of previous campers).

I would suggest you give Phil at the station a call first. They prefer to know and can give you some info before you arrive.

best of luck - you'll love it!!!!!
Michelle
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 426094

Follow Up By: Drew - Karratha - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 13:56

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 13:56
Hi Michelle

There have been changes at Ningaloo over the past few years to cater for the increasing number of visitors to the station. We were there this July during the school holidays, (have been going there most July holidays since about 1988) and Phil and Jane were having huge amounts of trouble trying to find places for everyone. You are now allocated an exact camping spot - you cant just go into Sth Lefroy bay and choose where you want to go...(If you go into a spot that you werent allocated someone will dob you in on the UHF to Phil).

I agree that Sth Lefroy Bay is one of the best places to camp on the station, and ideally suited to kids, although last year and this year (because we are quite good friends with Phil, Jane and Billy) we were allowed to stay in the shearing quarters which was great as there wasnt anyone else around, and we had comfy beds to sleep in while the wind was blowing...

Hope to see you there one year

Drew
FollowupID: 696733

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 11:54

Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 11:54
Exact spot?! Wow, wasn't like that last year. I think many people are now flocking to Ningloo feeling it might be their last chance - so many political attempts at land grabbing has created the inevitable extra publicity. thanks for the update on that Drew.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 697318

Reply By: Member - anneke f (VIC) - Thursday, Aug 12, 2010 at 13:50

Thursday, Aug 12, 2010 at 13:50
hi tony
we're currently at ningaloo and have checked out most areas on the station. we feel that you would possibly best at iether windserabandi or Sth Lefroy. winderabandi is in the marine sanctuary zone and has quite a few fishing restrictions. sth lefroy is a recreational fishing area. both areas are good for children. cost is $20 per eprson per week and children under 10 are halfprice, this is the price right now. would suggest you contact ningaloo homestead which you can do either by phone(0899425836) or send them an email( lefroyningaloo@bigpond.com
we came to stay for a week and have been there now for a month. good weather is the critical ingredient for a pleasant stay, but that is the same where ever you go in the great outdoors.
enjoy ningaloo Anneke, living the good life
AnswerID: 427027

Follow Up By: Black Hilux - Wednesday, Sep 08, 2010 at 13:57

Wednesday, Sep 08, 2010 at 13:57
Hi Tony,
We were at Sth Lefroy bay in July 2010, we planned to stay 1 week but ended up staying 2 weeks. Would've liked to have stayed longer but had to return to work. The weather will always play an important part to a successful holiday, we experienced a few windy days but our outlook was that a bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work. Our holiday didn't involve any kids (3 generations of males). We fell in love with the place and plan to make it an annual event.
Regards,
Terry (Life is like the wind - You can't change it but you can adjust your sails)
FollowupID: 700438

Sponsored Links