planning on doing Darling River Run September

planning on doing Darling River run 11th sept from Brisbane, any suggestions on must see & do welcome. have a new Gu Patrol and will be towing camper trailer.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave(NSW) - Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 11:47

Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 11:47
schoee,
The Article Overview next to your posting will give you plenty of info.
Cheers Dave..
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 426244

Reply By: patsproule - Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 12:26

Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 12:26
If it keeps raining out there (as it is at present) you might want to have a plan B.

Pat
AnswerID: 426248

Reply By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 12:30

Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 12:30
Hi schoee,
I did the darling river run from Brewarrina to Wilcannia in July.
We travelled the western side and crossed to the eastern side at Tilpa.

I have to say that I was disappointed that we rarely saw the river, the only times that we saw the river was when we crossed it at the townships.

We camped at Trilby station alongside the river which was good.
We bush camped just before Wilcannia and had a visit from the landowner, from what I can see it is all privately owned land.

I found it strange that the Darling river run is promoted as a trip alongside the river and that there is bush camping by the river when you need permission to access it for camping.

Having said that we were told that there is plenty of bush camping towards Menindee and downwards.

We decided because of lack of access to the river to go to White Cliffs and onto Innaminka.

I might be doing a disservice to that trip but that is my opinion.

William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 426249

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 19:57

Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 19:57
When we did the Darling River Run about 10 years ago we got an information pack from the NRMA. It included contact details for the properties that were happy to have you camp. For the sake of a couple of phone calls and through spending a bit of time chatting to locals at Louth and Tilpa we had a fantastic time met some great people and made a friend or two.

The beauty of the trip is that you don't have to travel far and therefore have time to get to know the locals not just see the country go past the car window.

Yes almost all the land along the river banks is private but most of the property managers are happy to let people see what they have got, just give them the courtesy of asking and you will have no problems.

Duncs
FollowupID: 696853

Reply By: Member - Angus E (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 12:42

Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 12:42
Schoee,

We did this trip last year and I can highly recommend Trilby Station near Louth for a few days. There are plenty of camping sites along the river and a self drive tour of the property.

http://www.trilbystation.com.au/

Take it easy on the dirt roads, we saw a couple of rolled over vehicles.

Angus
AnswerID: 426250

Reply By: Member - Wayne D (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 14:57

Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 14:57
I e done this trip 3 times and enjoyed it everytime. Kinchega NP Menidee Lakes and Mungo NP are must sees and if you do the loop around Mungo, out to the homestead ruins make sure you take your time and have a good look around, I have seen lots of people do the loop and never stop. Reminds me of my dear old departed mum who loved to visit places just to get another sticker on her suitcase.
If you can also spend some time at Mutawiji NP it is also worth a look.
AnswerID: 426259

Reply By: Member - Wayne D (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 15:38

Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 15:38
Schoee I am reading The River (A journey through the Murray-Darling Basin) by Chris Hammer and it has some interesting and current stories on the the people and the water problems of the river systems. Grab a copy of this and read it before you head off and it will add a little extra to the trip. Makes you feel for the farmers on the land.
AnswerID: 426263

Reply By: Member - Jason B (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 20:27

Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 20:27
Hey Schoee

I am out there all the time for work. Most of the access is via private property, however as indicated by others, managers usually allow people to stay sometimes for a small fee. There are reserves around Bourke Louth and Tilpa, and the Kidmans camp caravan park at Bourke is worth a stop if you need to freshen up etc. Also have a look around the Warrego river north of Bourke, in the Fords Bridge/Gumbalie station area. The Yabbies are going generally at this time of year to.

Just make sure you have a fishing licence and stick to you limit of 200. I would hate for you to become a statistic....haha

Your will enjoy your trip if you just take your time. There is the new aboriginal interprative centre at Bourke that I believe is worth a look also.

Regards

jason
AnswerID: 426293

Reply By: whisky_mac - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 09:47

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 09:47
Did the Bourke to Menindee in July this year. On the east side till wilcannia and then had to travel on the west because the road was closed on the east between Wilcannia and Menindee.

I had topo maps on my gps at 1/100,000 and were handy to find some tracks. Kidman camp at Bourke, Tilpa wier bush camp about 5km upstream from Tilpa, White Cliffs CP and then Emu Lake camp ground at Menindee as the roads were closed into Cowndilla. Was planning to do Lake Mungo but the roads were closed so went home to the upper Murray and washed 4WD and camper as it was a bit wet out west.
AnswerID: 426335

Sponsored Links