Kluger or Hilux?

Submitted: Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 16:42
ThreadID: 80553 Views:4992 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

I currently have a Toyota Kluger and am trying to decide if I should keep the Kluger and fit it with some extras or if I should wait and buy a Hilux later on. I do have a FIFO job for the next few years, so I don't use the car a lot. I enjoy offroad driving but so far came hardly ever across a place I couldn't go with the Kluger. I bought the Kluger brand-new in 2008 and have done a bit over 100.000 km. It's got a few extras and I was wondering if I should invest in something which gives me a bit more ground clearance or wait and buy a different car?

Thanks!
Mel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 17:26

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 17:26
I take it your talking about a Hilux 4x4.

If you are, the Kluger and Hilux 4x4 are two totally different vehicles....like comparing an apple to a pizza, both are food but thats where to similarities stop.

A Kluger is not a real 4x4 as it has no low range, real 4x4's are built a lot stronger and can go a lot of places you would not even dream about going in you Kluger.

Don't get me wrong, a Kluger will still do the average driver well.

End of the day the Kluger is still built on a passenger car chassis with no low range, I don't even think they come with a LSD in the rear.

Maybe a Prado is closer to what your looking for.
AnswerID: 426367

Follow Up By: camwill69 - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 18:02

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 18:02
Dito to what olcoolone said,

Both great trucks but very different. Good luck.

Cam
FollowupID: 696946

Follow Up By: Member - xrdave (QLD) - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 19:21

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 19:21
what they said x3

Dave.
FollowupID: 696954

Reply By: oceanaussi - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 19:03

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 19:03
Thanks for your replies. I know that they're very different cars. I upgraded from the Forester to the Kluger when we bought a caravan to be towed. I drove a lot and didn't pay for petrol. I needed a car which was good on the Highway and also accomodated the dogs and was able to tow the caravan. Now, my situation has changed and I hardly drive anywhere except for shopping and holidays. I since found out that you can get great cool canopies for the ute where I could put the dogs in. But as the Kluger isn't paid off yet, I'm wondering if I should keep it after it is paid off or if I should pay it off asap and get a Hilux instead. If that makes any sense...
AnswerID: 426374

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 19:11

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 19:11
Well...if you're hardly driving anywhere and the Freddy Kruger suits your needs as it is, then why change? As mentioned above, they are chalk and cheese and while the Hilux would be a far superior off-roader due to its proper 4x4 drivetrain and body on frame construction, the Kluger would be a better road car because of its passenger car origins.

Horses for courses.
FollowupID: 696951

Reply By: bruttus - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 20:01

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 20:01
We also have a kluger and love it. It has ample power for towing our campertrailer. But we found that we were limited to where we go with it after owning a hilux before the kluger. You just dont have that confidence that you have with a proper 4wd. We now have brought a navara and use that when we go bush and the kluger around the city. Oceanaussi I know this is off topic but you wouldn't have a couple of weimaraners would you?
AnswerID: 426383

Follow Up By: oceanaussi - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 20:51

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 20:51
Hm, sounds like the Hilux is the way to go. Although I don't use the car a lot anymore - the main purpose is now for travelling so I might want to go to places the Kluger can't go.

Thanks, that helped my decision!

And yes, I have Weimaraners. Do we know each other???
FollowupID: 696973

Follow Up By: bruttus - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 21:40

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 21:40
Sort of know each other, I'm ghostpowers on DOL. Good luck with your car.
FollowupID: 696987

Reply By: Member - Terry. G (TAS) - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 20:25

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 20:25
oceanaussi
Currantly have a 3.0 Ltr 2007 Hilux X-Cab fitted with an aluminium canopy and towing a 20Ft Caravan Put air lift shockies under it to help This Tug does the job really well It has towed the van from Tassy to West Aust with a little help from the Ferry (on the big wet bit) with no problems
Terry
AnswerID: 426389

Reply By: Member - Robert E (INT) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 10:12

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 10:12
I have been on both sides of the SUV divide having previously owned a Honda CRV and currently a Prado 95 series ( 2002). We took the CRV places we shouldn't rreally have gone including Waddy Point on Fraser 2 Easters ago. We only just scraped out of that nearly coming to grief on Mclaughlin Rocks. When we got off the barge at Inskip Point I vowed never again.. hence our current Prado. has been pointed out there are too many differences between SUV's and full 4 wd's . 2 months ago we went on a tagalong tour through the Strzelecki and Simpson deserts- proper offroad - bushbashing through the deserts far away from any tracks. I could say without hesitation that any SUV would not have lasted through the first day - it was tough eoungh on all the very capable vehicles in our convoy. I agree with the others - bite the bullet and get a capable proper 4wd and your borders will spread enomously.
AnswerID: 426462

Reply By: oceanaussi - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 11:00

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 11:00
Thanks so much for all your replies!!! I guess I wanted to make sure that there're places other than really extreme places I can't go with the Kluger and obviously there are and I just haven't been there yet. With the new job, I can do much more traveling, so I will just go to these places. I just wanted to check before I get a whole heap of extras for the Kluger. I will hold off with that and see if I can get the Kluger sold and get a Hilux instead.
AnswerID: 426470

Sponsored Links