What is it with The Morons that chuck rubbish out on the side of the road???.

Submitted: Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 20:53
ThreadID: 80562 Views:4550 Replies:15 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
Is it just Laziness, Just filthy people, Someone else has so we might as well attitude. This Topic always pops up!, But i was really surprised at a area i commented on about a year ago in regard to dumped rubbish, It is now twice as bad!!!, Is this now the new breed comming through?,For Christ sake you llittering bleep s wake up!!.

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: miandering fiander - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 21:02

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 21:02
I do not know what it is but it is very frustrating.
Not long come back from the Simpson desert and mostly filled our rear spare wheel rubbish bins with other peoples garbage.
It is not hard to keep it with you and put it in the bins when available.
The worst is all the broken glass.
AnswerID: 426399

Reply By: Joe Grace Doomadgee - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 21:03

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 21:03
i worked with an "old" engineer on roads in the Pilbara and we had problems with rubbish in the "truck bays" even though they had bins they would get full and people would just chuck it .............
His answer was simple............ remove the bins and the rubbish will stop, expected backlash, complaints ect but it actually worked.
People would see the bins when driving past, jam on the skids and empty the car out into it, even if the bin was full it still got jammed on top....

Us humans are strange things ya know..
AnswerID: 426400

Follow Up By: 3GoBush - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 22:12

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 22:12
Most National parks in the NT follow the no bin rule and it simply works, rubbish bin create rubbish.

I agree 100%
FollowupID: 696999

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 22:24

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 22:24
There are no bins in the Simpson Desert, plenty of rubbish though!
FollowupID: 697001

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 06:57

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 06:57
Wouldn't it be a requirement to empty the bins reguarly if they are provided? I would have thought an overflowing bin is a sign of poor maintenance (as well as the lazy people who throw it next the full bin).

Andrew
FollowupID: 697030

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 11:14

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 11:14
I'm starting to think 'no rubbish bins' myself as I often see rubbish bins overflowing excessively at many roadside stops across NSW. On the other hand we travel out Cobar, Wilcannia, Menindee & Broken Hill area quite a bit and we will generally run into maintenance crews attending these sites and cleaning the toilets, etc, as they are maintained very well.

Some of this problem lies with slack local councils or government areas of responsibility as they cut services to save $$$'s. We will almost always contact local councils when we see this sort of thing and send a couple of photos in support, sometimes we get a response and sometimes we don't.

Regards
Paul H
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 697048

Reply By: pop2jocem - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 21:29

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 21:29
Yes Axle, one of my pet hates also. I think they just don't care.
"It's out of my car so no longer my problem"

What can we do?? In my case make sure that I never become one of these mindless morons, take a rego number and photo if possible and dob the bastards in if you see them doing it.
Our beautiful country being ruined by these cretins.

Cheers Pop
AnswerID: 426406

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 22:50

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 22:50
G'day All

I know I am going to be "howled down" about my words regarding roadside garbage ~ including garbage and other crap wilfully dumped in the outback.

I've written many words in various forums about this bilght that is crawling across Australia at a very rapid rate, I've had (harsh) words with local "wannabe" politicians and shire councilors and even at one low point a few years back, I wrote a letter to Allan Carpenter then the Premier of Western Australia about the eyesore of garbage along the Great Northern Highway from Perth to Newman and beyond. In a true political timeframe no response has been forthcoming.

My suggestion to the pollies was fairly simple, put a refundable deposit charge on beverage containers ~ this would give the pensioners something to do and they could earn a quid collecting the throw away containers, there would be obvious benifits for the pensioners in getting some much needed exercise and the system could screw even more money away from the pensioners.

The answer to this was No way would they impost a further fee on the consumers. Then I suggested the powers to be who apparently to have a large workforce locked up in various correctional institutions for non violent crimes ~ allow the poor bored people out under strict supervision ~ this would get those poor innocent people out of an inhumane situation that they are all wrongfully held in ~ to collect all the garbage society chucks out the car window as they go to see the unspoiled outback!! Nope it can't be done cause these buggers have rights eventhough they've done wrong.

Yes I guess that is why the State and local governments have very heavy fines for littering? ;0( and now for the kicking !!
FollowupID: 697008

Follow Up By: locked hilux - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 01:31

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 01:31
it is true if people are given money for rubbish they dont just dump it in mny travels SA is the cleanest state because of the 10 cnets for every bottle or carton but it seems to be a lot more of the under 30yrs generation coming through that are the wost. i am not old as you would say but there is a big difference is the care factor of anyone even only 5 yrs younger than me. but it is great to see other like me that in many places i go i always take out more than i take in and i thank even one of you that do that.
FollowupID: 697025

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 11:41

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 11:41
Not a very practical solution Joe F and why do you think the 'pensioners' travel in the first place, I understand some like to work to extend their travels but bottle collecting won't be much of an incentive.

Iuuses like how to store the rubbish they pick up and how much out of their way to they have to go t dispose of it - or collect $4.90 for the 49 bottles they collect?

If the bins are not full we do a bit of a quick cleanup as you can generally see litter caused by real animals. Likewise we often see and talk to younger travellers who care about the environment and we see some of the 'older travelling contingent' with the wrong attitude.

If we all do a little bit like picking something up and putting it in a bin instead of complaining all the time and looking for someone else to resolve the issue we may get somewhere. As Shaker pointed out there are no bins in the Simpson Desert but plenty of rubbish.

Just my thoughts ....

Regards
Paul H

Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 697050

Follow Up By: tim_c - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 17:15

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 17:15
Joe, I wouldn't shout you down but the problem with your suggestions is that they all cost money to implement and administer - and you're making these suggestions to local governments who are often struggling to finance basic/essential services. The deposit scheme requires a whole process to facilitate refunds, and the supervision of detainees would probably cost more than simply paying council workers to go out and collect rubbish (which a few regional councils do from time to time).

Personally, I think Paul H has hit on the real issue: people (of any age) with the "wrong attitude" - my parents always tried to teach me (and my siblings) to be "other oriented", that is, to think about the next person coming after you (or to put it another way: to do to others as you would have them do to you, or love your neighbour as yourself). For example, take your rubbish with you because the next person most likely doesn't want to have to wade through or look at your garbage. As these teachings become more unpopular in our culture, and are replaced instead with doctrines about our individual rights and that the only person that matters is ME, why should we expect anyone to be considerate of others - the outcome is predictable - people aren't going to bother finding a bin (for example) because the next person really doesn't matter...
FollowupID: 697081

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 17:51

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 17:51
Image Could Not Be FoundG'day Fiona & Paul

My point exactly nothing seems to be a very pratical solution to what is in fact a very real problem, my reference in pensioners collecting refundable beverage containers obviously did not come across as humour.

The practical solution would probably be a huge fine attached to littering and wilful dumping, but that won't happen any time soon.

It all comes down to education in a persons upbringing, but because the rot has set in already and we seem to live in a "throw away" society no real value is placed on anything and this is why we are debating this subject.

The image I have posted to help prove my point about no one giving a rats about anything these days, the local shire had to have this situation pointed out to them but all this crap was in eye site of their Council buildings ~ the blind Mongrels !!! and they wander why rate payers get cranky and we all get cranky about the bleeding obvious, in forums such as this.

FollowupID: 697087

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 17:58

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 17:58
Joe, I have seen inmates (or guests of HM prisons if you prefer) doing just that here in WA. I would presume those convicted of minor offenses or maybe non payment of traffic fines and not any axe murderers. As far as being supervised I would think the ones out collecting rubbish are to some degree trusties and there are always a couple of guards close handy. Even when "inside" there is a requirement to supervise them. Maybe some of them also see a chance to stretch the legs so to speak.........hopefully not too far away though..........lol

Cheers Pop
FollowupID: 697088

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 18:02

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 18:02
Too quick for me Joe.........my comments were in response to your original post, I wonder who the Port Hedland number plate belongs to................lol
FollowupID: 697089

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 19:22

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 19:22
G'day Pop
I've never been called quick before so I take that as a compliment, I might say things that are at times rash and in your face but it's pointless beating about the bush when you need to make a statement.

Australian society and our way of life is changing dramatically, people are now days very accepting of the way things are rightly or wrongly, society in general just seem to plod along like numbskulls. The news headlines are usually all about crime - violence - corporate and political dishonesty, yet when the perpetrators are nailed ~ sometimes redhanded ~ they'll have lawyers and special interest groups to help fight for their "rights" !!

There are far to many avenues of escape by being politicaly correct ~ I despise that lousy " cliche' " because some conceited politician conjured it up to save his or her political hide.

Any way Pop, the powers to be told me there are too many "what if's" when I suggested the tracking down of the number plate owner(s).

The Shire's answer to the clean up was to send a bloke in with a front end loader and clear all the garbage - trees - spinifex - rocks and turn the place into a bloody big dust bowl. Shame we are manged by such talented people.

I'll end my contribution to this debate by saying this " if we are not careful in looking after Australia and our Australian way of life" we may well become a third world country ~ frightening when you think about that possibility !
FollowupID: 697096

Reply By: Road Warrior - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 22:07

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 22:07
It's not like littering in remote areas is an isolated problem, its all over the place, cities, towns, suburbs, out bush. There's been a shift in the way people think and they no longer care about things like littering anymore. People who chuck their ciggie butts out the car window are my pet hate.
AnswerID: 426412

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 22:28

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 22:28
We are in to our second generation that have not been made to be accountable for their actions, so what can we expect?
FollowupID: 697004

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 15:03

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 15:03
hi road warrior
yes i agree and our beaches and oceans are just as bad with rubbish everywhere
we have these no litter laws but does anyone kown of a case where someone has actually been put through court and fined for littering i have'nt heard or read of any cases in w.a
it's all smoke and mirrows with the govtmt and councils

i've also picked up heaps of others rubbish but think sometimes it's a waste of time as you go a short distant and find another lot you could fill and east/west freight train and still need more storage capacity
cheers
FollowupID: 697069

Reply By: Trickyd - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 22:26

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 22:26
We just did a 8000km trip over to WA from SA and the empty bottles and cans on the road as soon as we hit the WA border was unbelievable. Not much on the SA side (due to 10 cent per bottle can ) but even in the bush there was rubbish everywhere. I did notice a lack of bins around too for us whom hoard the rubbish from camping to put in the bin.
A deposit on the bottles and cans is a start to make this habit of throwing it out the window decline.
AnswerID: 426415

Follow Up By: SDG - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 00:28

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 00:28
How many of us as kids wandered the streets, parks, bins etc looking for bottles and cans to cash in? As kids that was good pocket money. Bring it back in. Would reduce littering even if it was the kids collecting them.
FollowupID: 697024

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 16:58

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 16:58
hi sdg
if they picked up a bottle these days it would be to chuck at someone's house or car or the police or they will smash it and gash someones face while fighting
there a totally different mind set of yobbo's putting it in a bin never crosses their line of thoughts
but then i dont think many of them do much thinking????

or they will delight in smashing every bottle in sight together
trash it- is the mind set of this generation
cheers
FollowupID: 697079

Follow Up By: Member - Morry H (WA) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 17:47

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 17:47
australia wide how much for disposible nappies and contents , no good in car 4x4 or truck it stinks so out the window in our day we washed the nappies we humans are a disgusting lot regards morry
FollowupID: 697086

Follow Up By: SDG - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 19:03

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 19:03
Mazcan, The other problem with kids collecting bottles etc, is that some goody goody is going to complain about the amount of germs their kid might get. (I'm ignoring the needle scare)

Morry, I have a nine year old son I have been raising on my own since he was about six months. I only ever used cloth nappies. I could not see anything wrong with washing them out . The main problem I found with them was
A. Finding them in the first place as initial purchase.
B. The amount of times I was "told off" by others for using them instead of disposals. I politely told them who they could tell that might care about their opinion.(on a similar note I was often told off for changing nappies in the change rooms because I was male and they wanted to breast feed in private)
FollowupID: 697093

Follow Up By: Member - Hayjude (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 20:10

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 20:10
Everyone in my mothers hometown drops their bottles and cans off to her place and she sorts them and ALL proceeds go to Royal Flying Doctor Service. So far over the past 10 or so years she has donated over $45,000.
Alcohol may be man's worst enemy but the bible says love your enemy

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 697107

Reply By: TOOLEY - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 23:17

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 23:17
I travel a lot in regional WA & see a lot of rubbish on the sides of roads. I spent 4 years in the Goldfield & now live in the Gascoyne area & there is plenty of rubbish here.
All states have Keep Australia Beautiful Councils & you can become a litter officer. I do not like dobbing, but some people need to be fined to understand that littering is wrong ! They have no right to rubbish my wonderful country !
Cheers Tooley

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 426428

Reply By: locked hilux - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 01:35

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 01:35
all of this is true and there is too much dont are factor today but as said here eirlier the old 10c is a great thing they did it for only a few weeks here in alice and the town never looked cleaner its a shame it didnt stay
AnswerID: 426434

Reply By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 08:26

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 08:26
Hi Axle.
Just arrived home after a trip to Darwin.
Your comments are spot on. The roadside camp spots have turned into defacto dump sites especially for toilet paper.
Cheers.
vince
AnswerID: 426451

Reply By: Ozrover - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 08:46

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 08:46
Axle,
We have garbage bins available & people leave their rubbish on the veranda of the pub!!!
A large group drove in yesterday & when they left, yep a black garbage bag left in the middle of the car park!!!

Ignorance, laziness who knows but it certainly gives me the irrits'.

AnswerID: 426452

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 09:03

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 09:03
As many have noted, the SA answer works. It develops the habit of not chucking stuff out and it provides an incentive that makes it worthwhile for others to collect the stuff. But I can almost hear the cries of "Nanny state" already. Take it up with your pollies.
AnswerID: 426455

Reply By: landed eagle - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 09:19

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 09:19
The fact that so much of the rubbish is empty alcoholic drink containers makes me wonder about the 'condition' of some of the people me and my family are sharing the road with.
AnswerID: 426457

Follow Up By: Trickyd - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 09:37

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 09:37
Yes sharing the road and the country side with. there is that much smashed glass around these days, we dont have to worry only about staking tyres on mother natures sharps we have to look out for all the glass. I was also amazed in the goldfields how the old timers just simply smashed every bottle they had. Piles and piles of them in the bush. shame Australie shame.
FollowupID: 697039

Reply By: Member - Duane A (WA) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 10:00

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 10:00
I posted my discust a few months back about the litter problem between Karratha and some of those new mine sites south of there .These companies are making big money from the Pilbarra there bringing the blow in s into the area to work for them make them accountable .Start at the top and work down .The councils and state Government need to address it as its out of control and its un Australian . Bring back the dob in a litter bug and make the fines very hefty .Burn a hole in the pocket of the scum that are littering and you will see a change in peoples attitdes to rubbish.
AnswerID: 426460

Reply By: D200Dug- Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 18:06

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 18:06
I think one of the sad things is the "Would you do this in your own home" question; the answer is probably "YES"

Many people are just slobs with little or no regard.

I doubt even summery execution and leaving their heads on a spike beside the road would stop this.

I do think the SA 10c deposit system is probably the most effective method.

Sadly big packaging companies and politicians seem to have a deal so this does not happen :-(
AnswerID: 426516

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 19:37

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 19:37
Wait the next generation is coming. We live across the road from a public high school. The rubbish that blows in our yard is horrible. They even drop it when they are sitting in their cars with their parents, you say something and you get the big hmm. Cant wait to get outa here.
AnswerID: 426530

Reply By: cocky - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 19:39

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 19:39
In Victoria you can report incidents to the local council or the EPA.
Case 1. Rubbish dumped on the side of the road near one of our properties included an invoice/receipt which allowed the local council to identify those responsible and fine the culprits.
Case 2. Smoke pollution from a local piggery for some months resulted an the EPA investigation and prosecution with a fine of more than $10,000 for the owner.
If you check out theEPA website, forms can be completed which allow for identification and prosecution for something as simple as a cigarette butt thrown out of a car window.
AnswerID: 426531

Sponsored Links