Batemans Bay to Canberra

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 15:27
ThreadID: 80573 Views:5372 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have not been on that road (Batemans to Canberra) since about 1998.
I recall it was very steep.
Wife and I plan to do a trip south next month and were thinking of visiting Canberra on our way back up north from the (gt Ocean) coast rd, Vic.
Can anyone advise whether or not the road has improved.
I am towing a 19ft dual axle (2,280kg ATM) with a new 4WD Navara STR 2.5 CR.
Alternative is to go from Merimbula to Canberra via Bega and Cooma.
Comments please ?????

Hamish
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 15:38

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 15:38
Not much, an occasional bit of better road but all the worst spots are the same.

I towed up there with a slightly lighter van a year or so back. It's OK as long as you take it easy, I suggest doing it when there is no weekend or school holiday ACT traffic, bunch of looneys on the road then.
AnswerID: 426503

Reply By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 17:10

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 17:10
Hi Hamish,

We have towed our 18ft van (weight 2.5 tonne) up the Clyde Mountain a number of times without any problems. We have a Navara D40 ATD.
There are a number of places with overtaking lanes for faster vehicles to get past. Yes it is pretty steep in places and you wont be able to do it in a hurry.

We live on the South Coast (NSW) and prefer to travel on this road instead of taking the road up Brown Mountain from just north of Bega up to Cooma.

Cheers Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 426509

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 19:02

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 19:02
The Clyde Mtn is a bit steeper, but not as long as the brown, and has more overtaking opportunitys.
If you are going from Merimbula to Canberra The Brown Mountain (Via Cooma would be a lot shorter and quicker than coming up to Batemans bay and then across

Shane
AnswerID: 426526

Reply By: hamishNav - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 15:48

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 15:48
Thanks for your replies, they are very much appreciated. I'll post a note when we get to Canberra.
Safe traveling all :-)

Hamish & Leonie
AnswerID: 426621

Reply By: Member - Des - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2010 at 14:23

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2010 at 14:23
Sorry this might be a bit late ...

If coming from the Great Ocean Rd, going around to Merimbula/Bega then up the Brown Mtn Rd to Bombala would be quite a detour (albeit very scenic). So would going on to Batemans Bay and up the Kings Hwy to Canberra. The more direct route to Canberra is to turn off the Princes Hwy at Cann River, up the Cann Valley Hwy/Monaro Hwy. It is not only more direct but involves a more gradual climb to the Monaro. You can check out the Beehive falls on WB Line Tk or take a short side trip to Rockton Falls. Don't miss the excellent bakery at Nimmitabel (views of Snowy Mtns from there too).

We have just come back to Vic from NSW Sth Coast. We came back along the Nowra-Braidwood Rd. Last time we went that way it was pretty slow but an $80m upgrade is almost complete. It is now sealed almost all the way (the last few kms will be finished soon) and would be a quicker run from Canberra than the Kings Hwy (Canberra to Batemans Bay)/Princes Hwy. A lovely trip too.
AnswerID: 426837

Reply By: hamishNav - Wednesday, Aug 11, 2010 at 14:37

Wednesday, Aug 11, 2010 at 14:37
Thanks a lot for your reply.
We want to, in particular, visit Merimbula on our way back north which is why we are over that far east.

You sound like you are having some good time too. :-)

Cheers
AnswerID: 426948

Sponsored Links