Holden Frontera

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 23:34
ThreadID: 80585 Views:2238 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at getting my daughter a 2003 6cyl Frontera mainly for city use but also to follow daddy's Cruiser on some trips where I think it will cope. Any feedback on Fronteras would be very welcome
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Isuzumu - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 17:19

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 17:19
Hi Yeti, they are a pretty good vehicle, built by Isuzu (we have the earlier model only sold in Japan, grey import to here, but has the diesel motor) so the only problem I see here is they are like all petrol 4x4's a bit heavy on fuel. the motor is a V6 3.2 L.
AnswerID: 426629

Reply By: Camoco - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 18:30

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 18:30
We have the last model 2002 S Manual (don't think there was a 2003).
We bought it new (ordered and waited for delivery from california).
I love the fact it is Isuzu based and it has been great. Yes seemingly a bit heavy on fuel but it is 1800kg empty and still returns 12l/100k city/hiway. Try that with a petrol Cruiser of Patrol.

We have ours on lpg as well and whilst we intend to keep it forever, it was not the wisest of choices as we got it before the rebates, but it has been reliable, and cheap to run on the long hauls. We got it as a form of long range tank with other uses. Can now do more than 1000k's per fill on the highway.

Ours doesn't do a hell of a lot of offroading as we have a Patrol as well, but it has never been an issue wherever we have gone. Although it does sit a bit low for sand use as the fuel tank is in the middle and seems to bottom out first.

We are about to install a towbar. Because we have gas and a Patrol we have avoided it. Now we must as I am going to sell the Patrol.

I just love the appearance and as there are not too many on the road we can be different from the pack. We have about 130000 on it now and it has never let us down.

For what you intend to use it for, it is a good choice if the vehicle has been well maintained. They are the same size as a Jackaroo but slightly lower in roof height and not as common, but share many components.

I expect to own the 'terra for many years to come.

Cheers Cam.
AnswerID: 426641

Follow Up By: The Yeti - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 19:08

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 19:08
Thanks Guys appreciate the input
FollowupID: 697199

Reply By: Madfisher - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 21:54

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 21:54
Also have a look at petrol Jacks. They seem to have a bit better clearance,
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 426684

Reply By: firesafe - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 21:54

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 21:54
We have had one new since 2001 the S model. Like previous posts it is thirsty on fuel but hasnt had any major problems.

The suspension has been replaced and lifted at the same time as the fuel tank being a US vehicle is not in the rear but under the centre of the car and as such can get beached in the sand.

Have done 140000 kms trouble free apart from the usual tyres and windscreen going up through the Centre, Oodnadatta, Birdsville, High Country etc.

With a family of 4 it is now starting to get cosy for the longer trips so we will be updated to a Patrol soon but will probably keep the Fronty as a spare due to the low trade in value now.

AnswerID: 426685

Sponsored Links