Electric Brakes

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 16:38
ThreadID: 80598 Views:2245 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone,
We had our brakes custom fitted and adjusted by our local Jayco dealer. We are on the Gold Coast having travelled from Coffs Harbour. The trip up was fine with no drama's until we got to the Coast when the brakes appeared to be a lot more aggressive to the point of locking up. It appeared to be the slower we were going the more aggressive they were.
We have a Voyager system.
Do you normally need to adjust the brakes depending on the speed you are travelling or are they more responsive due to them having heated up?
Cheers
Clint
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Horacehighroller - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 17:14

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 17:14
G-day Clint & Chell,

I find that when applying my vehicle brakes when cold the effect (at a fixed peddle pressure) increases as the vehicle comes closer to stopping.
This is because they are becoming more effective when warmed.

I assume that's what you meant by "the slower we were going the more aggressive they were"

On the other hand, if they are just more aggressive when you are already travelling slowly, then I doubt that heat (or lack of) would be the cause.

Peter
AnswerID: 426628

Reply By: Clint & Chell - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 17:47

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 17:47
Hi Everyone

Just to clarify, the issue with the brakes is when we are towing the caravan. When we are travelling through towns and going slow (due to traffic conditions etc.) requiring repeated braking is when the problem seems to occur the most. Whilst travelling along the highway and needing to stop for whatever reason there are no issues. Hope that makes the problem clearer.

Thanks

Chell
AnswerID: 426635

Follow Up By: kend88 - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 18:07

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 18:07
I have the same situation with my Prodigy controller. takes a few km of using the brakes for them to warm up and work effectively. just a matter of adjusting them down a bit after the first few km, or adjusting them down when you come into a town. Just need to remember to readjust when you leave town, which you don't really want to have to do, so I usually just drive accordingly in towns, knowing that they will be a bit touchy.

kenD
bris

FollowupID: 697186

Reply By: familyguy - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 18:21

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 18:21
Hi

I experience the same. Bit embarassing when they skid at lights or a roundabout but have become accustomed to adjusing a fraction when in town and then when leaving. Sometimes you get it just right but then the next day they return to this variation.

Regards Shane
AnswerID: 426640

Reply By: Miniac - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 18:38

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 18:38
We've just installed a P3 system (yesterday) which we haven't yet used: we pick up our camper trailer this week.

To my husband's disgust I read all the pamphlets that came with it, and it did say that you'll need to re-adjust the system after a few hundred km's when everything settles in. Maybe that's how you know it's time to adjust it?

I'll keep an eye on ours and be careful when we get to towns just in case...

Kaz
AnswerID: 426643

Follow Up By: Clint & Chell - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 19:15

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 19:15
Cheers guys,
Thanks for the info.
Bit annoying that you have to adjust coming into towns etc.
The thought of it getting it not quite right is a bit daunting too..
Hopefully it will settle down with a few more k's under our belt.
FollowupID: 697201

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 20:08

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 20:08
Clint

Originally had a voyager, and left black tracks all over the place, Melbourne, Broken Hill, Mildura, Boulia, Alice Springs, Robe, ect, ect, ect,

Then I decided to back off the course adjustment, and hey presto everything works well,... just feel them and never locke up. ( perfect)

Try that one, and just remember that the mini DVD that cones with the Voyager can sometimes be misleading, after all it's done in USA.

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 426664

Reply By: carlsp - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 20:08

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 20:08
Hi Clint,

I tow a 4 ton caravan. You want to brakes to slow the van, so at speed 90, for example you want them to pull you up a bit. ie something dramatic happens such as a kangeroo.

In town however you just have traffic lights so the brakes will tend to grab a bit. You need to adjust them for that. After a bit of practice you will have a good idea of the settings for both hardness and delay. That is how quickly the brake comes on and how hard. The brake controller will have two adjustments.

Start by adjusting them on a gravel road while doing a slight RH turn. Brake harder till the caravan and the tow vehicle both lock up at the same instant. This is a good start point.

Remember that wet roads will be different and so will the van when loaded or empty.
AnswerID: 426665

Follow Up By: Clint & Chell - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 20:50

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 20:50
Thanks everybody. That helps alot..
Cheers
Clint
FollowupID: 697236

Reply By: kend88 - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 20:46

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 20:46
the good thing about it is that they are very easy to adjust on the run, on the Prodigy anyway, just a push of the button. Sometimes I just adjust the boost from 3 to 1 in town, which is just a push of the button.
It is probably good to get practice at making adjustments while driving so you will be more comfortable in an emergency situation like van swaying and you want to increase the van brakes strength to straighten it out.

Cheers
kenD
bris
AnswerID: 426670

Sponsored Links