slow down

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 20:31
ThreadID: 80606 Views:3345 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chris_s - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 21:18

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 21:18
Thank you trilogy for this.
I was involved in a horrific car crash near Lakes Entrance last year. The chap who hit me was doing an estimated 150kph. I was doing 95kph.
I'm still being treated for broken neck vertebrae (the physio has said I might not fully recover), post traumatic stress, severe short term memory loss, anxiety spasms, etc. My expenses to you (Taxpayer) so far have been over $50,000. The other bloke lost his wife (what cost do you put on this?) and who knows what expenses he has cost us.
A couple of years ago I travelled in a convoy from Melb to do the Canning Stock Route. I told the other drivers I'd be sitting on 90-95kph to the start at Wiluna. They at first complained, but I held my ground and said in an hour you would only be 10km in front (approx 6 mins in front) and that is if you can maintain that as a constant without being forced to slow down for trucks, vans, winding road, etc. The fuel difference was huge when taken over the 20,000km of intended travel.
(14L/100Km at 100kph, 11L/100Km at 90Km. Taken over 20,000km a saving of 600L)

Slow down, drive safe and be aware of the conditions and the other driver.
AnswerID: 426675

Follow Up By: Joe Grace Doomadgee - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 22:08

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 22:08
and we get complaints of "speed cameras" being revenue raisers .... ummm if you dont speed you WONT get a fine......
I am absolutly with you on the above, it seems that every one is in a big hurry to get where i dont know and as you say 600L is one hell of a lot of fuel...
And to cap that if all "tourists" did it we would have less accidents as well... yep i said "tourists" as they of all people have not one single reason to speed .... none at all
FollowupID: 697258

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 06:13

Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 06:13
chris
Sorry to hear about your pligh, I wish you a speedy recovery.

I do 110% agree with you. SLOW DOWN, and relax, it's not that important to risk life and limb, but still they try.
If you get pulled over for speeding, or you get your picture taken, it's your own fault... The rules are there simple as that.

Cheers
Bucky

FollowupID: 697289

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 21:23

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 21:23
It makes even an oldie shudder. Not good to see just before bedtime.
It should be compulsory viewing for new drivers, especially the " bullet-proof" young.
I don't know how a parent can go to identify their dead child especially if the child was an innocent victim.
Drivers need to keep in mind the purpose of driving and that is or should be to get to your destination alive and not scaring the christ out of your passengers.
Stirling Moss once said that if a driver frightens his or her passengers then that driver is NOT a good driver.
Thanks Trilogy for posting this video. Somehow though, I think it is a bit like preaching to the converted.
Ian
AnswerID: 426676

Reply By: Member - Charles Jenkinson (WA - Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 10:13

Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 10:13
I see the results of vehicle trauma on nearly a daily basis in my professional life. I may not be an oldie (like Ian ;-)), but I've been involved in horrendous cases - motor cycles, head on collisions, roll-overs, single car vs tree at high speed, pedestrian carnage, the works.

At work, you block it out of your mind, and get on with your job. I've watched teenagers pay the ultimate price for sometimes their own stupidity, but too often the stupidity of others. I've seen drunk drivers just after they've killed one of their mates. You try to not let it register, because how can you work, and help others, whilst carrying that burden?

Some of those clips seem to be anti-speed commercials, others mock-ups. Still the real video footage was real. We were witnessing the end of life. What can you say to that?

Funny thing - that video made me shudder more than the most horrendous trauma case I've seen. Perhaps it's just the training. Perhaps worse is yet to come.

If there's one thing I've learned about teenagers and young drivers, it's that you can't teach them what they don't want to know. No amount of seeing these videos seems to make a significant difference. There are teenagers who will not take needless risks, and will drive within their (limited) abilities. These ones will watch a video like that, shed a tear, and honestly say that they won't let that be them. It was unlikely to be them in the first place - they weren't the "over-represented" slither of the pie. Contrary to some belief, there is a subgroup of youth with their head screwed on. The dangerous ones are the "others" - you can influence them not even for the span of their short term memory. They will continue to take risks, drive like idiots, and risk all of our lives.

There is only one way to target them effectively - wait for them to grow some brains. Some never do. And if perchance they happen to see any sense, another idiot has emerged from infancy to take their place.

Perhaps I sound cynical?

Maybe there is a middle ground, who can be nudged into the "low risk" group. Perhaps it's a normal distribution that can be skewed to one side by these videos. There better be - it's too early in what looks like a beautiful Perth day to have it spoiled by a video like that.

I pray that none of my family, or yours, will be the victims of this carnage. I truly do. I also know that life doesn't work like that.

Stay safe,
Charles
AnswerID: 426722

Follow Up By: Begaboy - Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 16:54

Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 16:54
quote " I've learned about teenagers and young drivers, it's that you can't teach them what they don't want to know "

So true - PERFECT example was on Tv the other week in a show called RBT - not sure if you get it over the other side of the paddock - basically a teen driver, on seeing an RBT pulls over , does a U TURN and runs - cops pursue her pull her over - Breath test her , and as she is a P plater she didnt blow 0 - so off to the truck they take her- In the truck the cop Talks to her , asks her does she know the limit for provisional driver is ..... 0 she replies but then offers an excuse that her diabetic friend was about to have a hypo and needed her pen and that was far more important. The police officer getting frustrated with her replies says - So what your saying is your friend is FAR more important that you will drive drunk and risk killing people on the road - she replied once again her friend is more important and she would do anything for her no matter the cost

Now , she clearly can not be educated and the video footage should be shown at her court case and her licence taken from her , never to be returned. cop should have been given an award for not pistol whipping her. how many parents / family has he done the 3 am door knock on to tell them the stupidity of a drunk driver has changed there lives for ever - Mind you this was in down town melb somewhere so if her friend was in so much trouble a simple call to 000 would have fixed the emergency

If anyone knows the girl that appeared in the show - can i have her address, i would like to show her where my size 10 boot can go ....
FollowupID: 697362

Follow Up By: Member - Charles Jenkinson (WA - Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 17:23

Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 17:23
Yeah, we get that show over here... Amazing the stupidity of some! (Also seen some examples of WA's finest on TV in the same vein.)

People ask me what it's like having to tell someone that one of their loved ones has just died. It makes it a whole lot harder when the deceased is in that position because of stupidity. The hardest ones are those that died needlessly.

I've got a size 14 boot - if only I could use it...
FollowupID: 697368

Reply By: Road Warrior - Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 10:56

Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 10:56
Holy crap some of those vids were pretty heavy, the poms sure know how to get the message across.

It's the sort of things we need for road safety advertising in Australia, instead of the silly ads they use at the moment. The Office of Road Safety in WA reckon their campaigns are 'hard hitting' but they're not and they're too scared to upset people.
AnswerID: 426732

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 09:04

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 09:04
The one with Sydney film Company on it was an old clip used in NZ for the speed warning campaign.

It was one of the tamest ones actually and the most graphic one was a girl doing up her shoes with no seat belt on when they have a head on.
You see her going thru the windscreen in slow motion complete with face ripping apart and then from inside the other car her landing dead on the windscreen.

Then it cuts to the little boy who was in the car where she landed. The look on his face wasnt forgotten for a long time.

Was coming down from Brisbane on Tuesday in all the rain. Was trying to drive to the conditions and who passed me the most.

YOUNG GIRLS in little tin boxes doing upwards of 120kph in places.
I was in the Cruiser and it actually aquaplaned in a couple of places so god knows what they were experiencing.

No brain no pain I guess

AnswerID: 427098

Sponsored Links