Towing a c/van through the ranges to the coast south of Sydney

Submitted: Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 22:51
ThreadID: 80625 Views:11227 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
In early September the Dept of War and Finance are heading to the South East coast of NSW for a look see.

Could any of You New South Welshmen advise me of an easy route over or through the ranges.
We were thinking of going through Goulburn, Moss Vale to Nowra.
Will be in a Landrover TD5 towing a 2 tonne van.
Been up the Snowy Mntns H/way- What a haul!! Don't really wish to do that again.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 22:59

Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 22:59
First line should read -- Dept. of War and finance and I etc.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 426803

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 23:15

Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 23:15
Use the Picton road Not sure if that's what they call it but it is a good road with minimal hills), it's by far the easiest drive.
AnswerID: 426804

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 23:32

Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 23:32
Thanks Notso.
Looking at the map, you turn right at Picton and end up just north of Wollongong. Is that correct ?

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 697419

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2010 at 06:34

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2010 at 06:34
Hi. I am local in the Shellharbour area. Wollongong area is a great place to visit if you have the time but the Picton Rd way will add considerable distance to the trip (possibly 60 ks ) and you will still have to come down Mt Ousley,which is fairly steep and a distance of about 4k down. Picton rd is a notorious Rd for accidents in the wet as well so if you do come that way, take it easy as a lot of other drivers wont. The Moss Vale road to Nowra is no harder and mainly down hill so you will have no problems. It is a main arterial road so many large vehicles use it every day. While you are up the Moss Vale way take a detour and have a look at the Illawarra fly. Absolutely brilliant.
Illawarra Fly
Anything else I am only to happy to help. Regards,Bob

FollowupID: 697427

Follow Up By: Notso - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2010 at 08:08

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2010 at 08:08
Going south on the Hume, take the picton turn off and follow the road basically,

Here is a description

Picton rd
FollowupID: 697432

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2010 at 06:30

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2010 at 06:30
Hi Tony
As notso said the Picton rd is the easiest route.

The Illawarra highway (Moss Vale to Albion Pk) is more scenic but is twisty, looking at your rig pix I would imagine it would be easy to handle through there and the steep bit is downhill. This would take you through the pretty countryside of Robertson, potato central, home of the famous Robertson pie shop, and location for the film "Babe" also some fantastic views of the Illawarra region as you go down the escarpment to Albion Pk. You will also be near (Jamberoo rd) the "Illawarra fly" an elevated walk among the tree tops.

Do Not take the Jamberoo rd right through to Kiama, that is twisty and narrow and, I think, listed as unsutable for vans.

Cheers, Colin.
AnswerID: 426812

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2010 at 06:47

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2010 at 06:47
Hi Tony"s. I replied above, just so as not to confuse you, the Illawarra highway comes down Maquarie Pass and is very steep in parts with two hairpin bends. It still has many large vehicles traverse it daily. It is not the same road as the Nowra Rd which heads off in a S/E direction to Nowra. (Jamberoo Rd is definately not suitable for caravans as it is one lane for a short length at the top.) Bob

FollowupID: 697428

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2010 at 12:26

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2010 at 12:26
Thanks Toyocrusa , Patrol and Toni , Notso.
Been most helpful. Will most probably camp at Moss Vale for a few days and start touring from there also, work out where to go futher down the coast.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 697451

Reply By: Gazal Champion - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2010 at 19:40

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2010 at 19:40
Hi Tony S,

The road down from Moss Vale as far as I know is via Macquarie Pass and is very steep with a couple of hair pin turns and I would not advise towing your van down that one. The Picton/ Mount Ousley Road would be the safer bet and the Mount Ousley section is very van friendly. Either way you go you have to come down off the range but the Picton Road advise in my opinion would be more suitable. I used to work in Woolongong about 30 years ago but only managed to travel the Macquarie Pass a couple of years ago. I would not tow my van down there as it is too steep and there is nowhere to pull over in case of a problem and you will probably run out of brakes before you hit the bottom.

Just my opinion mind you. Others might think I am a bit of a whimp but there are many who think the way I do. No point taking unnecessary chances.
Cheers, Bruce.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 426874

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Aug 11, 2010 at 00:03

Wednesday, Aug 11, 2010 at 00:03
I have travelled all of those roads (except for the Jamberoo Rd) with a TDi and TD5 towing 2 tonnes. It may be a little slow on the hills for you people from the west with no hills. However you can safely negotiate an of those roads if you take your time. Taking your time on the hills using the short route will be much quicker than going around the long way.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 426911

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 11, 2010 at 01:10

Wednesday, Aug 11, 2010 at 01:10
Thanks PeterD.
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 697502

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Aug 12, 2010 at 13:48

Thursday, Aug 12, 2010 at 13:48
Tony,

I know you said you were thinking of going to Moss Vale, that is a pretty part of the world and I don't want to suggest you don't go there, but you have another option.

The roads down to the coast from Moss Vale are all pretty steep. I have ridden motorbikes, driven cars and towed trailers on all of them over the last 35 years. I have never towed a van on any of them but I don't think you would have problems. Macquarie Pass is steep and tight and the hairpins will have you concentrating pretty hard but it is do-able.

My other suggestion is via Oallen Ford and Nerriga. This will bring you into Nowra. It is dirt from about Oallen Ford but last time I was there it was very good dirt. Google suggests it will take about 4.5 hours Goulburn to Nowra but I think that is very conservative.

It is a very pretty run and you could bush camp at Oallen Ford if you wanted to.

Like I say Moss Vale is worth a visit and the roads to the coast from there are OK but if you want to avoid big hills Nerriga is an option.

Duncs
AnswerID: 427026

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Thursday, Aug 12, 2010 at 15:44

Thursday, Aug 12, 2010 at 15:44
Thanks Duncs,

We are going to park ourselves at Moss Vale and do some sight seeing from there [without the van] including the coast around Wollongong etc... After looking at the various roads down the hill, will then decide which is the pick of the bunch. Will detour out from Goulburn and have a look at Oallen Ford Road.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 697630

Sponsored Links