Intermittent noise GU Patrol

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 17:31
ThreadID: 8080 Views:3159 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone
I got this intermittent noise in the patrol. Its only happend twice so far and about 5 weeks apart but I don't like the sound of it. Starts out sounding like the noise of a raffle wheel (or something in the spokes of a pushbike) - on pulling up to check where the noise is coming from there is a rather loud clunk and the noise disappears altogether. Was thinking something might be going amiss with the front hubs - anyone else got any ideas???

Cheers
Pete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mickl - Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 19:19

Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 19:19
Can you give more details? Is it coming from under the car? front or rear? engine area?Does the vary with car speed or engine revs? ... could be anything at this stage... take each wheel off and check things like the hubs and bearings, check the brake calipers and pads(broken retaining clip on pad gave me a similiar noise once) Sounds like the noise is coming from a rotating part so give the vehicle a good going over, other things that come to mind that have given me "noises" over the years are: Aircon clutch/bearing, stuff caught in radiator or thermo fan, broken radiator fan blade, loose brake line bracket hitting back of wheel.

Are there any other symtoms? ie vibrations in the steering at the same time?
AnswerID: 35096

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 14:25

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 14:25
G'day Mick
Like I said it has only happened twice so far and each time it has been on the black top and close to home. Haven't really had time to discern exactly where it is coming from as I have pulled up pretty quickly each time. I don't think it is coming from the engine - seem to be coming from the running gear somewhere. I think I'll get the guys at Monaro Off Road to have a good look at the front hubs at the next service.
FollowupID: 25392

Reply By: smod - Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 22:37

Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 22:37
Had a very similar sound on my fairlane , every time I lifted the bonnet and got me torch out , !!! the noise went. Sounded very much like the fan flicking somthing, only ever happened on start up and maybe for up to ten seconds after, it didnt happen often, Have a look at anything that the fan could possibly come in contact with. I Finally fixed the problem by trading up to a 3l td Patrol, now it sounds like Ive got a chaff cutter caught under the bonnet .Things dont happen as smooth or as fast these days but Ill survive.
AnswerID: 35118

Reply By: awill4x4 - Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 22:40

Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 22:40
Pete, I had something similar happen to my GQ and it was the front hubs with one side trying but failing to engage (theses are auto hubs like your GU)
I got out the wheel spanner and locked the hubs. It's OK to do this, just don't drive in 4wd on firm surfaces. I asked my mechanic to check the front hubs, he pulled them apart serviced them and I had no problems after that.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 35119

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 14:27

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 14:27
Thanks Andrew
I have taken to manually locking the hubs when off road but this problem is occuring when in 2WD, front hubs on auto. Buggered if I know what it is but will have the hubs checked out.
Cheers
Pete
FollowupID: 25393

Reply By: awill4x4 - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 16:58

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 16:58
Pete, I have heard of GU's sometimes having problems where the oil viscosity in the transfer case is too high particularly early in the morning and the transfer case will try to direct partial drive to the hubs.
The solution I have heard for some with this problem is to change to a fully synthetic oil in the transfer case.
Is your problem usually occuring early in the morning when especially cold? or. Does it occur even when hot?
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 35157

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 20:22

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 20:22
Can't really say Andrew - but come to think of it it has always (ie twice so far) happened on the first run of the day. Will ask the boys at the workshop when I take it in.
FollowupID: 25401

Reply By: GUPatrol - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 14:47

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 14:47
Make sure you use ATF in the transfer case for GQs GUs with auto hubs...

Will
AnswerID: 35258

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 17:29

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 17:29
Will
What is ATF and where can I get it?
FollowupID: 25496

Follow Up By: GUPatrol - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 09:48

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 09:48
I don't know (as other posts have suggested) if this is your problem, however you are in Queanbeyan and as in Canberra it gets quite cold (max 10 this morning!!)...
What happens (if the oil is the problem) that being thick in the morning it slightly drags the transfer chain and the auto hubs engage.
Factory recommends ATF (automatic transmition fluid) for that model specifically for that purpose, it also warns in the manual that under very low temperatures that may happen...
ATF dextron 3 is what the transfer case for that model use.
In warm climates you can use normal gear oil but Canberra/Queanbeyan gets too cold all the time (not only in winter)!!
FollowupID: 25549

Reply By: chrisfrd - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 18:00

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 18:00
Guys!

BEFORE you go out and replace the oil, try and fix where the problem is coming from!

In my GU, I run the standard oil and don't have any problems. Try locking your hubs to Manual and driving around in 2wd. If there is a slight power-leak, from a sticking main-gear syncro in the transfer case, then it will only leak just enough power out of the box to try and drive the front shaft. More importantly, you won't get the hubs trying to engage all the time.

AnswerID: 35281

Sponsored Links