Ticking noise

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 20:00
ThreadID: 8082 Views:12111 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I currently own a 3L mitsubishi pajero. It has done over 225 000 ks and it has just started to make a ticking noise first thing in the mornings when i start the Paj up. It recently went for a service and they could not determine the source of the problem. Could anyone here help me with this problem. Its seems to only happen in the mornings when its cold, and is coming from under the car approximately half way along or so I think.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Rodney
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mickl - Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 20:37

Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 20:37
I don't know Pagero models well.. whats 3l? 3lt petrol?? because this sounds like a sticky hydraulic lifter (sits between cam and lifters and takes up the valve lash) the timing is right (mornings and cold) but the location is odd.. maybe the noise is reflecting off the ground, or are you hearing it through an open window?
If it is a lifter, before going to the expense of changing it/them, try using an engine oil flush at your next change, or run deisel engine oil for one change (high detergent) as this may free it up.
AnswerID: 35106

Follow Up By: Rodney - Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 20:47

Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 20:47
Ok assuming this is the problem, what would I be looking at to fix it in terms of costs parts etc. From my basic knowledge of a cars engine it sounds as if they have to pull the engine apart and repair the lift.
Thanks for your advise
FollowupID: 25363

Follow Up By: Mickl - Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 21:11

Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 21:11
Well first you need to confirm this is the problem. Next time you start the vehicle up have the bonnet up and have a closer listen. Is this a V6? if it is and you can't narrow it down to which side of the engine, here's a tech tip: Hold the handle of a long bladed screw driver to your ear and touch the tip on the rocker cover (cheap stethoscope!) the noise will be easy to isolate this way.
The job does not involve pulling the engine apart, only the rocker cover and rocker shaft assembly needs to be removed. This is not beyond the average home mechanic with Gregorys(workshop manual) and basic tools in hand.
Can't give a cost for your particular vehicle but for example a lifter for a vl commodore/Skyline is around $40.(aftermarket not dealer price).
I can't imagine more than a couple of hours labour is required (but once again depends on vehicle).
Try the engine oil flush/ deisel oil trick first, it's cheap and effective if its only engine deposits causing the lifter to stick.
FollowupID: 25365

Follow Up By: Rodney - Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 21:58

Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 21:58
Thanks once again.
FollowupID: 25368

Follow Up By: Rodney - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 18:57

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 18:57
Sorry I forgot to mention this before, but after about 5 minutes the noise will go away, and only comes back on cold mornings. I started the paj up this morning and there was no noise, probably becasue it was warmer than usual.
FollowupID: 25399

Follow Up By: Mickl - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 21:29

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 21:29
This is a symtom consistant with a sticky lifter. BTW a hydraulic lifter, and a valve lash adjuster(VLA) are basicly the same thing! They take up the lash between either the cam and valve, or the rocker and cam depending on engine design.(a hyraulic lifter sits between the camshaft and rocker arm in SOHC designs. In DOHC (seperate camshafts for exhaust and inlet valves) designs the valve lash adjuster (VLA) sits between the valve and cam as there is no rocker gear. If your engine is of this design the replacement of the adjuster is more difficult as the cam needs to be removed. Hope you haven't been confused by all this.
No matter what type of setup your engine uses try using an engine oil flush next oil change and use a diesel engine oil for one change (diesel oil has 'detergent' in it which may help flush out any muck). This may solve the problem without any further drama.
FollowupID: 25417

Reply By: KG - Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 21:49

Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 21:49
not trying to be a smartass but it's not the power aerial going up is it?
AnswerID: 35112

Follow Up By: Rodney - Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 21:58

Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 21:58
no unfortunetly.
FollowupID: 25367

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 22:12

Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 22:12
Rodney.
A loose baffel in the mufler? If you determin it is a lifter all you have to do to clear it is to push a piece of 1 mm steel wire into the oil return hole on top of the lifter while the engine is running, that will cause a rapid flow of oil through the lifter and clear the crud. Eric.
AnswerID: 35115

Reply By: UB.1 - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 00:22

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 00:22
Hello Rodney

On 3.0L and 3.5L V6s there is a device in the valve train called a valve lash adjuster (VLA). This device is like a little piston and cylinder filled with oil. It is different from a hydraulic lifter, and functions to keep the slack in the valve train to a minimum as the engine ages. The VLA has a little ball valve held in place by a spring, and uses oil pressure to take in oil and place constant pressure on its valve. Dirty oil from even several oil changes ago (or a previous owner) can leave particles in the ball valve that hinder its ability to remain pressurized. This leaves slack in the system and you hear it as clicking. It is also caused by getting air bubbles past the check valve that is now stuck at the top of the little cylinder, unable to leave via the ball valve at the bottom.

SYMPTOMS: A valve train clatter on startup that does not go away when the engine is warmed. If it goes away, this is not your problem.

Solution from http://www.4x4wire.com/mitsubishi/tech/
1. Warm up the engine.

2. With the gearbox in neutral, gently rev the engine from idle to 3000rpm over a period of exactly 15 seconds. Your goal is a constant gradual increase to 3000rpm. At the 15 second mark, drop the throttle (foot off the gas) to idle. Now let it idle for 15 seconds to complete one 30 second cycle

3. Repeat the 30 second cycle in #2 from 10 to 30 times. If the problem persists after 30 cycles, this is not your problem. It fixed mine after only 5 cycles - total silence.

Causes
· Low oil - now or previously.

· Dirty oil - now or previously.

· High oil - now or previously (con rods slap the too high oil and "foam" it). Note that high oil can be caused by coolant contamination from a blown gasket, not just by overzealous owners. Parking on a steep hill - now or previously. With the engine off, this encourages the VLA to drain its oil (running steep hills are not a problem, unless it's so steep the oil is getting "foamed" by the con rods).

· Parking for long periods - now or previously. Over time they'll drain.

You might also like to look at the Victorian Pajero Club website
http://www.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/

Best wishes

AnswerID: 35126

Follow Up By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 09:50

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 09:50
sounds great , i would do a full oil flush before comencing the above Venus Bay
FollowupID: 25385

Reply By: mik*2 - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 10:58

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 10:58
Rod,
This is the go to fix your noisy lifter, almost everyone has this at some stage with their Paj and it works well. Put that 4X4wire website in you favourites cause there is lots of info about pajeros, well the U.S. calls them Monteros, there's tech tips and all sorts.....

cheers
mike
AnswerID: 35136

Follow Up By: Rodney - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 18:57

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 18:57
Sorry I forgot to mention this before, but after about 5 minutes the noise will go away, and only comes back on cold mornings. I started the paj up this morning and there was no noise, probably becasue it was warmer than usual.
FollowupID: 25400

Reply By: mik*2 - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 22:31

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 22:31
I guess with that many K's, things are going to start wearing a bit, you could probably try some different oil, synthetic stuff, maybe something slightly thicker. If you want to get serious you can take it to Mitsubishi to fix it. Mine does it from time to time, when it warms up ther's no more noise. My Paj has over 240k on the original engine and apart from this lifter noise from time to time, its as good as the day it was new.

cheers
mike
AnswerID: 35193

Reply By: kezza - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 23:31

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 23:31
Halfway along the underside of the vehicle I would be looking for an exhaust flange that has a tiny gap when cold which closes when the exhaust system gets hot.

More likely to be at the exhaust manifold though - check to make sure you dont have a few broken manifold studs - that will cause exactly the same symptoms.

A lot cheaper than replacing lifters - if you want to check the lifters use a lighter grade high quality oil like Penrite for a while see if that cures the lifter, if there was crud in it it would do it a lot more.

Hope this helps
Kes
AnswerID: 35200

Follow Up By: Rodney - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 11:44

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 11:44
Thanks. I think you are on the right track, becasue last service the mechanics picked up a problem with the exhast manifold, but said it wasn't anything serious and could wait another service or two b4 it needs to be repair.
thanks
FollowupID: 25461

Sponsored Links