Automatic trans issue

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 11:42
ThreadID: 8089 Views:1154 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a mate with a problem with the auto trans in an 80 series.

When it is powered it up the gears the changes are as expected. However sometimes when it is say more or less idling around the streets, the change from first to second is fine but the change from second to third is quite clunky as if there is nothing then a quick grab.

This occurs under 1000 rpm. An example is from a stop sign to a turn into a downhill where speed does not get above 20kph to the next turn right or left.

When it is gunned, its changes are quite smooth all through the rev range - up and down. So this leaves my mate to manually change to second where he thinks that this may occur again eg on suburban streets.

So my learned friends, any input??

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 13:13

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 13:13
Gday
A tranny service is the way to go. Best to leave this to the pros. The only thing that can be checked by Joe blow is fluid level and possibly kickback cable adjustment at throttlebody. There is also a way to see if the tranny has logged any faults in the computer, best to look in the workshop manual for that proceedure, as it is complicated.
Andrew
wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 35144

Reply By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 22:31

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 22:31
Sounds like he has a soft shift , you can change this by tightening the kick down cable , just take it up a touch and go fo a drive , if you tighten it to much it will bang into gear like a shift kit . Just udjust it a mil at a time , Venus Bay
AnswerID: 35194

Sponsored Links