MQ patrol diff ratio

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 12:18
ThreadID: 8090 Views:3277 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
could somebody please tell me where to find the diff ratio on a 81 MQ patrol?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nav 80 - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 14:14

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 14:14
Should be stamped around the outer edge of the crown wheel. Cant remember if the MQ has a back plate on the back of the diff you can remove to have a look.
AnswerID: 35151

Reply By: 1tuftruk - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 15:12

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 15:12
thanx but i know it will be on the crownwheel but is it stamped into the outer housing anywhere? I have found a number but not sur if it is the ratio as i cant determine if it is a dot between the numbers? but the numbers are (596)
AnswerID: 35154

Reply By: G.T. - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 16:40

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 16:40
Jack one side of your vehicle at the rear and put an axle stand under it to make the vehicle safe to work under. Mark the tyre off the ground with a chalk mark on the sidewall and then keep this mark at the bottom closest to the ground. Get under the vehicle and mark the rear prop shaft at the bottom closest to the ground also.
Then rotate the propshaft by hand counting how many turns it takes to make the tyre rotate one revolution. Some else will have to help you here , so as to keep an eye on the tyre and advise you when it has done one turn. The number of turns that the propshaft has done will not obviously be an exact number of even turns , but something like 3.9 or 4.1, 4.25, 4.5, or whatever. This will give you an approximate ratio at this stage. eg 4.25:1. Consult a workshop manual ( at the library perhaps? ) to see what the alternative ratios are, and compare your finding that is closest to the ratio in the manual.
Otherwise, if you have a removable plate at the back of the diff, this would help you to count the number of teeth on the crownwheel and pinion ( if the pinion is visible ) divide the number of pinion teeth, eg 8, into the number of crownwheel teeth, eg 36, = 4.5 : 1 ratio. Good Luck. Regards G.T.
AnswerID: 35271

Reply By: Mick - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:39

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:39
from memory,(i sold my mq 6 years ago)
check the gregory manuel, (i think) part of the vin number or one of the other codes may contain which ratios it came with. Thats if it hasnt been swapped.
You cannot read the ratios from the outside of the housing.
only stamped on the crownwheel.
AnswerID: 35367

Sponsored Links