Interested in buying a MQ Patrol SWB

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 20:44
ThreadID: 8102 Views:4349 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi we are looking at buying a MQ Patrol and were after any specs, problems or fuel economy information that you guys can give us.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mh - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 01:56

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 01:56
Ive got a 1984 swb L28 petrol, 290000ks. Ill list all troubles ive had, and stuff to watch for that I can think of. Springs pre 85 aren’t too good, most should have after market by now. Rust gets in the wheel arches, doors, and where the removable hard top screws to the body. Ive had no trouble from the gear box, but the transfer case needs rebuilding/replacing, Ive been told this is rare though. The steering knuckle seals leak, letting water in to the axle, it happened to me, labour is the only costly part. I had trouble getting a seal kit for the clutch and slave unit, my mechanic made up a kit for me. The under body wheel carrier gets in the way for off road work. I cant think of anything else now. For a little truck that’s nearly 20 years old I’ve been very happy with it, but I’m selling mine soon, the main reason is space, and around 350,000ks ill need an engine rebuild. I hope I've been of some help. There used to be a very good faq on mq patrols at off-road.com I dont know if its still there though.
AnswerID: 35207

Reply By: Mick - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:11

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:11
RUST
around the radiator supports
along the join in the firewall
lift up the mats on the floor and check around the body mount bolts
rear guards of course on the outside
and the roof gutters
these are some major places to start looking!

radiators were known to rot a bit
get a 12 volt model, the 24 volt is too hard to find alternators chap enough for!
Diesels i reckon are a bit better than the 2.8 petrol
check blue/white smoke when the engine is really cold in the morning
Get a 5 speed!
get one with aftermarket suspension
get one with a std factory rear wheel carrier, they are good!
AnswerID: 35359

Sponsored Links