Bendethera Valley

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 21:23
ThreadID: 8104 Views:1834 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
A group of us are heading to Narooma next week and whilst there intend to venture to Bendethera and then to the caves.We were going to access from Moruya side and are dependant on maps as haven't been in there before.Would appreciate some info from anybody who knows the area.
Are the tracks well signposted or been lost to earlier fires?
How difficult is the terrain as a friend with a Subaru Outback would like to tag along if it is capable.(It has dual range but 200mm of clearance)
How steep is the area? I believe some tow trailers in there so should be o k for Suby.
Is Merricumbene trail open at the moment?
Sorry for all the questions but will know more for the next time we go in there.
Any must do tracks?
Thanks in advance
mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 08:51

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 08:51
Marcus I think you will find the Outback a bit wanting on the Merricunbene FT, but should be ok on the direct roure from Moruya.

Recent rain in the area will make the crossings of the Duea River a bit high, and more is forcast for the end of the week, I had 28mm on saturday and thats not far from the head of the river.

Good walk up to the caves, overalls or old clothes are best worn in the caves as they are wet and muddy and full of bat poo, but great to explore.
AnswerID: 35209

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 13:31

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 13:31
Mark
You don't say have long you are staying ?

I cant comment personally on the Northern part of Merricumbene FT, but the Subaru Club came in this way to Bendethera a few weeks ago with two standard Foresters without any trouble. I would agree that maybe the Outback would probably be better suited to the direct route from Moruya.

If you are staying for a couple of days, try and make time to do the circuit of the Valley, Via Dampier, Minuma Ra., Mongamula and Merricumbene FT's. The tracks are good and sign posted. There are some great views from Minuma Ra. FT and these tracks should be OK for a 'well driven' Outback!

We have had a lot of very strong wind in the area again this weekend so a chainsaw would be handy to take.

The water levels in the creeks is a problem close to recent rain but I believe the levels do drop fairly quickly after it stops ?

Good luck.Subaru Forester
size isn't everything !
AnswerID: 35238

Reply By: flappan - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 14:49

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 14:49
We were there on the weekend.

Wouldn't recommend an Outback coming in other then from Moruya. Pretty well signposted.

Creeks are up a bit, but shouldn't cause any major problems.

Top place to visit.
AnswerID: 35260

Follow Up By: Tony - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:47

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:47
Keep a check on the weather radar at Captains Flat, it will show you what rain is falling in the area.

Itsbleepdown right now.
FollowupID: 25553

Sponsored Links