Setting for air in dusty conditions

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 21:35
ThreadID: 8105 Views:1734 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
What is the proper setup for the air conditioner and air flow when travelling on a gravel road. I have always thought it was to put the air on recirculate from start to finish but I have been told that it is better to set it on fresh and only put it on recirculate when there is oncoming traffic or you have to follow behind another vehicle.

Any other clues and comments on the best way to stay dust free.

Its a new car and yet to go off road. Next weekend we're off out the back of Karijini and all weekend on dirt and gravel so I am keen to know if I've been getting it wrong for all these years.

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: marcus - Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 22:03

Sunday, Oct 26, 2003 at 22:03
Hi Moneypit,
Try post 6931 it has good info on dust prevention.
cheers mark
AnswerID: 35188

Reply By: theratt - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 11:51

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 11:51
when your on the road or tracks run the air con on outside air this will give the car a slight positive pressure inside the cabin and keep the dust out
also giving you and your passengers fresh air
i put mine on recycle only when following someone else
AnswerID: 35219

Reply By: Mixo - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 12:06

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 12:06
Indeed.....dust will get in anyway, but you have to have the whole car closed up, and the flow through fan running as high as you can stand....it will keep pos air pressure inside and keep the dust out as much as possible. Bit of a bummer when you want enjoy some fresh air BUT cleaning dust out of the nooks and crannies when you get home is a bugger of a job.Why I am here looking at this screen ?
AnswerID: 35224

Reply By: Billy - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 15:31

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 15:31
As others here say, we have always run on "flow through" rather than recirculate unless dust is thick in the air. Last trip (Darling Run) a couple of weeks back, we tried the duct tape over the real outside vents ( at the trailing edge of the rear side windows) and at the end of the trip could hardly detect any dust in the vehicle AT ALL. The positive pressure inside the vehicle was noticeable when you opened the door or a window while the fan was running the fan breathed an audible sign of relief!

Regds

BillAll aboard!
AnswerID: 35266

Reply By: Moneypit - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 02:10

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 02:10
Thanks for the input. Bet I still get full of dust but.

Dave
AnswerID: 35340

Sponsored Links