Weipa

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:44
ThreadID: 8139 Views:3371 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

A friend of mine may be coming to Weipa to work. He is hesitant about moving to Weipa as he has never lived remote at all is pretty much a city dweller.

If anyone could comment on what life is like in Weipa ,, climate,, social happenings (he is single),,, cost of living,,, housing available,, and any other detail about the place you think would either make someone want to go to Weipa or not would be great.

thanks Annie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 12:24

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 12:24
If he fishes,drinks,camps,drinks,shoots,drinks after shooting,rides dirt bikes,playes golf, drinks,likes BBQ's,drinks, and maybe the odd drink or two.

A great social town, not a lot of single girls around but there are a few that enjoy the social rounds, its starting to warm up this time of the year, best climate is from May through to end of August but you soon get acoustomed to it and wondered why you never came up sooner.

Housing is becoming available now that you can build/ own your own home in Weipa rent in the company houses is cheap compared to down south, but the cost of living is higher as every thing comes in by barge from Karumba.

I've been in and out of Weipa since 1969 and seen heaps of changes, it takes awhile for a single bloke to get on but a great place to live if you enjoy the above.
AnswerID: 35383

Follow Up By: annie - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 10:48

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 10:48
Tony thanks for taking the time to comment. Much appreciated.
FollowupID: 25766

Reply By: duncs - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 12:31

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 12:31
Annie,

I have only spent one week in Weipa but this I do know.

The climate is hot and dry or even hotter and wet. The people seem to be very friendly and I'm certain that he would be made to feel welcome unless he is a total moron, I hope he is not.

As far as moving to a remote area is concerned I moved from Sydney to Broken Hill just over a year ago and it has been a wonderful experience. Yes I miss mates from Sydney and at times have thought that I would move back sooner rather than later but those thoughts are getting fewer and further apart.

One of the reasons that finally made me take the step was simply that I did not want to spend my life wondering if I should have done it or not. Like the NT tourism adds say "Youll never never know if you never never go."

Tell him to go for it the bus runs both ways. ( he can always come back)
Duncs.
AnswerID: 35385

Follow Up By: annie - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 10:51

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 10:51
thankyou Duncs for your reply. i appreciate it.
FollowupID: 25767

Sponsored Links