cargo barrier purchase issues??

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 20:15
ThreadID: 8155 Views:1906 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Guys (and girls)

Any comments on a Milford cargo barrier for an 02 Prado - behind rear seats only, not behind front seats.

I want one for two reasons - safety, and ability to pack to roof height..

I have a price for a shade over $500 fitted..

Is there anything I need to know or should look at? - it seems at this point like a pretty cut and dried option.. Other issues or questions???

Regards

Ivan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brian - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 20:39

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 20:39
isanders.... they aren't cheap, but they potentially could save your life.... I hadn't bothered with one, even with work vans, ( I am a refrigeration technician) but my Patrol came with one and then a good friend of mine, also a refrigeration tech, had a bad accident in his Hiace. He showed me the photos and I could see how lucky he was to have a barrier. I had one fitted to my work van the next week!
Might Just Save Your Life!
Cheers
Brian
AnswerID: 35470

Follow Up By: Andi - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 16:36

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 16:36
Couldnt agree more Brian.
In my opinion it should be the first "modification" anybody fits to a vehicle. My 60 cruiser had one within a week of purchase (not milford but similar), as I had just had a write off in a Hi-ace work van where an extension ladder from a power company truck which hit me in the rear broke loose from its restraints and impacted right behind where my head was. Damn thing saved me from being decapitated, very passionate about barriers as a result. Perhaps they should be factory fitted as standard.
FollowupID: 25716

Reply By: B.P.L. - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 21:02

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 21:02
Try Ausguard Cargo Barriers. They are generally cheaper and still ADR approved.
AnswerID: 35475

Reply By: Member - Richard- Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 21:34

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 21:34
I had a Milford fiited to my Frontera. It was supposed to fit either behind the rear seats or behind the front seats. The rear seat installation was OK but I had to modify the installation behind the front seats. The barrier was too high to fit between the floor and roof and was installed so the barrier was tipping back at an angle. I built a cradle to sit on the rear passenger floor to support the bottom edge of the barrier so it would drop below the seat backrest in the lowered position. I also had to modify the top support arms to hold it in a vertical position. The Prado may not be a problem but I would suggest you check it all before you proceed to fit it or if you are having it fitted for you make sure the installers know what your requirements are.
CheersRichard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
AnswerID: 35482

Reply By: Richard - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 21:59

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 21:59
I've got a Milford dual position cargo barrier which is easy to adjust and luckily hasn't yet had to perform. Cost was around $500.
AnswerID: 35486

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 04:28

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 04:28
Mine was $380 self installed behind second row seats. Don't forget that you can store stuff on it. (Yeah, Yeah, -this device is not designed for stuff to be mounted on it) We mount soft stuff like sleeping bags, pillows and all the light stuff on it in the wet weather otherwise it all goes on the roof. Just use ockey straps or the like for the "soft" stuff. I know some people mount their UHF transceivers on them etc.
Regards
chrisNice southerly coastal fishing trip someday.
Chris
FollowupID: 25662

Follow Up By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 17:06

Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 17:06
Chris - got it installed - never even thought about putting sleeping bags and pillows on it (even though I'd pondered that they would now be on the wrong side of the barrier for the kids to get at - No longer ;-)
Regards,

Ivan
FollowupID: 82687

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 23:36

Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 23:36
Without a doubt there very versatile, I've recently mounted a small fire extinguisher on the passenger side of the barrier. I you use your imagination with them you can conjure up anything.
You probably should have one between the kids and yourself eh!! LOL.
Enjoy!!
Regards
ChrisNice southerly coastal fishing trip someday.
Chris
FollowupID: 82699

Reply By: srowlandson - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 10:06

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 10:06
You had a price from toyota?

I know getting Milford Barriers from Nissan Direct saves a good $150.

$300 from Nissan, $415 from Milford, Plus fitting.

Fitting isn't hard, takes about an hour.
AnswerID: 35533

Reply By: Lyds - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 14:27

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 14:27
Milford guarantee theirs. If you have an accident, they'll send you another one for free - you just have to get it fitted.Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
AnswerID: 35585

Sponsored Links