TV Antenna/dishes

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 28, 2010 at 14:50
ThreadID: 81600 Views:3307 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I'm not sure if I am just collecting another piece of junk or not.

Some time ago when our daughter and her partner together with our gorgeous little granddaughter moved back to WA from Sydney they stayed with us while looking for a suitable place of their own. Being of the younger generation and not able to comprehend life without Foxtel they had an installation of the aforementioned service fitted to our house. They have since moved into their own digs and taken the set top box (if thats what it is called) and had the service set up there.
Apparently the dish and associated 4 kilometres (ok I exaggerate only 1k) of cable was not economical to relocate so was left on the roof. I have since removed this lot and am wondering if any of this is suitable to serve as a receptor mounted on our caravan to receive normal TV in more remote areas or am I better of dumping the lot and starting with new.

Thanks in advance, all advice much appreciated for the technologically handicapped.

Cheers Pop
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Sep 28, 2010 at 15:38

Tuesday, Sep 28, 2010 at 15:38
Yes if you buy a Satellite box and have the correct LNB Not sure if the Foxtel one is the same as free to air or not

You will also need a tripod to mount it on and an Optus card to make it all run.
Also depends on the diameter of the dish as small ones have a more difficult setup in southern regions An 800mm dia is about small enough really.

Strong is a good brand of box and Optus supply the cards unless you can source a plain white one like mine thats gets everthing anywhere.

AnswerID: 431660

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Sep 28, 2010 at 17:02

Tuesday, Sep 28, 2010 at 17:02
Hi Graham,
Thanks for your reply. The dish is 700mm dia. Not sure (read wouldn't have a clue) as to what a LNB is. I can make a mounting bracket no problems but the rest is way beyond me. Checked with my daughter, they were receiving Foxtel and free to air ABC and SBS only with this dish. The others were through a normal TV aerial. Apparently the regular commercial channels don't broadcast via satellite. Learning all the time...lol.
What part exactly do the "cards" play?

Cheers Pop

FollowupID: 702501

Reply By: swervy - Tuesday, Sep 28, 2010 at 15:55

Tuesday, Sep 28, 2010 at 15:55
I am in Perth and have the free to air set up with 65cm dish. If it helps we can try it out on my set up to see if it works. I live in the city.
Swervy
AnswerID: 431665

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Sep 28, 2010 at 17:06

Tuesday, Sep 28, 2010 at 17:06
Hi Swervy
Thanks for your kind offer. I live in the hills east of Perth, which area are you?
Obviously by your reply you get free to air, what channels?

Cheers Pop
FollowupID: 702504

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Sep 28, 2010 at 17:35

Tuesday, Sep 28, 2010 at 17:35
Would explain it but go and see Swervy Ask him about cards and try the net for sellers as I got mine off one in Perth.

FollowupID: 702509

Follow Up By: swervy - Tuesday, Sep 28, 2010 at 17:57

Tuesday, Sep 28, 2010 at 17:57
Like I said I am in the city of Perth In a Hay street apartment in fact. I keep my Hino camper bus at a friends place up in Helena valley, Adelaide place, near the zig zag.
You would need to come into the city to try your dish. We get a lot of stations as well as ABC & SBS from most states. We watch programes through Alice springs or Qnsland about 1 hour befor normal local tv shows it. Rafters about 6.30pm and fri night football around the same time, and still have an early night. Footy starts on the normal channel when we are at half time.
Swervy
FollowupID: 702511

Follow Up By: TrevorMR (WA) - Tuesday, Sep 28, 2010 at 20:22

Tuesday, Sep 28, 2010 at 20:22
I live just south of Yallingup and use sat. tv all the time as we don't get acceptable reception from an aerial. I bought a portable dish to take with me in the caravan but have never used it.

I am in the process of buying a new decoder. The strong SRT 4663x is what I have in the house and works well. About $140 delivered on e-bay. However, am thinking of getting the 4664x (12/24/240v) for the van and then I can also use it for a second TV in the house - about $160. The Aurora card is another $60.

If you want to speak to someone, try Sciteq in Wangara, Perth. That is where I got the caravan setup. They are very helpful and knowledgeable.
FollowupID: 702522

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Sep 28, 2010 at 20:33

Tuesday, Sep 28, 2010 at 20:33
Try accessantennas they have what you need I got mine off them.

The 4664 is a good box but there is a twin tuner one that you can record a second channel if you want to. The 4664 has a USB port to record to a pen drive.

FollowupID: 702523

Sponsored Links