Twine shower on a petrol 80 series

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 10:16
ThreadID: 8195 Views:1978 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Has anybody installed a Twine shower on a petrol 80 series with ABS? The reason I'm asking is that I am having difficulty in finding a spot to mount the pump. The ABS stuff takes up all of the room on the passenger's side near the firewall and I am looking at installing a second battery so the front right is out as well. There doesn't seem to be any other place apart from behind the bullbar.

I've asked Twine but they only seem to have experience with the diesel where the pump is mounted on the fuel filter. In fact, the guy from Twine asked me for photos once I had it installed!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cashy - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 13:57

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 13:57
Is ther room on the passanger side by the starting battery? Than is where I mounted it for my Diesel 100 series. IT is mounted on a bracket which is bolted to the whel arch. I am sure there is a lot of 80's out there with showers. rom memory I am sure they are mounted in a similiar position.

Cashy
AnswerID: 35705

Follow Up By: Penguin - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 14:38

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 14:38
Unfortunately, there is a charcoal canister just behind the battery. That's where, on diesels, the fuel filter is located.
FollowupID: 25791

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 16:37

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 16:37
Hi Penguin,

When I had my second battery installed, they moved the charcoal filter to the fire wall. Maybe you can do the same. Mine is a 1990 80 series, and I was worried about moving the filter also, but it didn't seem to be a problem. If you give me your email address, I could take some photos of under the bonnet. I don't yet have a Twine, but I do intend getting one soon.

CheersJust Do It!

FollowupID: 25798

Reply By: flappan - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 15:21

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 15:21
May or may not help, but I share your problem.

I have a Ti 4.5 Patrol and I'm trying to fit a shower on it.

I know a guy that fitted one to an 80 Series behind the bullbar, works well and easy to get at.

I'm going to build a bracket for mine that will suspend it above the ABS lines and hoses at the back of the motor, near the fire wall. Any room back there.
AnswerID: 35713

Reply By: Tim - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 19:04

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 19:04
Yeah I don't have a cruiser either but due to a lack of room under the bonnet I put mine up under the bull bar also.
Tim
AnswerID: 35735

Reply By: Member - Eric- Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 22:19

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 22:19
I know this dosnt answer your question , but its something I saw and was intreeaged by . I noticed a vehicle come into work with a copper tube wound around the exaust . I asked the gent what it was for , guess what his home made shower , one end he connected his hose that went on to a boat builge pump and theother he connects his shower head , the builge pump has a bleep ch that connect to the battery , he sits the builge pump into a bucket of cold water and turns on the switch , this pumps water through the copper pipe that is warm due to the hot exaust system , from cold he said he only need the vehicle to run for 5 min to get the tempreture right .

sorry about the woffle but it freaked me out Venus Bay
AnswerID: 35760

Follow Up By: Tony - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 08:52

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 08:52
Sounds like it will do the job, but unlike the Twine he is not able to adjust the temp using the heater control.
FollowupID: 25834

Reply By: Frank - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 09:55

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 09:55
Penguin,
I also had the same problem with my Patrol, lack of space. I ended up placing the pump where the shower heat exchanger would have gone. I then fitted the exchanger across the top of the exhaust manifold. The heat from the manifold does not damage the exchange unit, and in fact helps heat it up. Works great. Theres not many things you can fit in close proximity to the exhaust manifold because of the heat, so you should have plenty of space in this area for the exchange unit.

Hope this helps
Frank.
AnswerID: 35779

Reply By: Penguin - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 11:51

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 11:51
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I toyed with the idea of moving the charcoal canister but there isn't much room to mount it elsewhere. In the end, I have mounted it behind the bullbar and will just run long hoses to the heat exchanger.

Looking forward to getting out there and getting dirty to try it out.
AnswerID: 35790

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 20:24

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 20:24
Hi Penguin,

I will have one eventually but I've seen them mounted on the passenger side near the firewall. Although ARB placed the compressor behind the charcoal cannister there's still a fair bit of room there - above the coil and near the igniter. The pump was mounted a bit higher than the manifold in the same area.
Regards,Nice southerly coastal fishing trip someday.
Chris
FollowupID: 25878

Sponsored Links