Mounting an Engel 40l in a Prado

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 14:18
ThreadID: 8200 Views:3720 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

Wanting to mount an Engel 40l in the back of a Prado - hoping that the mount will fit behind the third row of seats, but have been advised that it won't fit.

I could mount it where the third row seats go, but then would have to unbolt to use the seats...

I had been thinking of leaving the mount in there full time (if not the fridge), but I don't want to have to pull out a shifter every time I want to use the little seats!!

Any one else solved this ahead of me??

Regards

Ivan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 14:22

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 14:22
Go to a 4wd shop and sit one in the back and see if it will fit.
Failing that try the 90scool list on Yahoogroups.
AnswerID: 35707

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 15:10

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 15:10
Darren has a 60 litre engel in the back of his Prado 90 series on a slide, with a 40l slide next to it.

Steve

FollowupID: 25794

Reply By: flappan - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 15:23

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 15:23
But not BEHIND the 3rd row seats I imagine . . .

Is the mount really necessary, or could you tie it down some otherway ??
AnswerID: 35716

Reply By: Tony - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 16:27

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 16:27
If you have a 90 series Prado it only takes about 1 min to remove seats. What I did on mine is made a false floor out of ply stuck some cheap auto carpet and bolted a fridge slide to it. When I use the fridge I put the false floor in (30sec job) and then put fridge on to the slide tie down and away I go.

Takes a an hour or two to make floor etc but saves me time now and saved me drilling through the floor of my prado.

Hope that helps

AnswerID: 35720

Reply By: Mal58 - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 17:29

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 17:29
isanders,
What year & model Prado do you have ?

For the 90 series Prado, if it is pre 1998, you have to unbolt the third row of seats. It takes about 10 minutes either side.

For 1998 onwards, the third row of seats has a latch to remove the seat. It takes about 1 minute either side.

For the 2003 model, I think (and don't quote me), that the third row of seats is also latched.

I know that you can't fit 40 litre Engel behind the third row of seats in the 90 series (1996 to 2003) model of Prado. I am not sure for the 2003 model though. I imagine that you would have to try it and see.

There are a number of approaches that you can take for a "frame" to hold the fridge.

I have a tube metal "brace" that runs from the left to right to the tie down points in the floor. There is a metal brace for both front and back tie downs. The brace is fitted with rubbers and clamp through each of the tie down loops.

Bolted across the two braces I have a ply base which forms a flat surface on which you can then build what you like. A set of tie downs for the fridge to the base would probably be the simplist approach.

I built a "box" which houses the fridge and has room for storage over the fridge.

If you want to leave the mounting there permanently, then you would need to have cutouts in the ply base where the third row of seats attach to the floor. You would have to se if this interfered with the feet on the fridge, if so another board fitted over the base when using the fridge may all that is required.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mal58

AnswerID: 35726

Follow Up By: isanders - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 21:40

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 21:40
Thanks Mal - you know, I never knew those back seats came out so easily - last times I've been away, I've used a socket and taken the 20 minute solution - went and had a squizz after your post - out and back in, inside 60 seconds!!
FollowupID: 25886

Sponsored Links