High country tracks this weekend. Fresh snowfalls.

Submitted: Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 12:10
ThreadID: 8215 Views:2011 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
If anyone is planning a trip to the high country this long weekend you will need to check the track situation for closures.

OK OK Before you all start telling me that this is the official track opening weekend for the Alpine area check with the Mt Stirling RMB and the state Dept SUS and Env. We have had snowfalls for much of the week and at 12.00 lunch time Friday there has been a blizzard for 4 hours above 1000 metres (half way up Buller and Stirling). 4 inches of cold dry snow has fallen this morning and most of the roads will be still snowed under from winter up high. I went for a ride on the bike and attempted to get to Stirling from Buller and the road 1 km from buller is not able to be passed due to snow and ice. I could see the summit and west side of Stirling yesterday and the track from the Howqua gap up to the summit and to Craigs hut is not driveable. Not sure about the northern approach to Craigs. Most of the northern mountains have had snow too. Check the next 4 day alpine forecast on
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDV17006.txt more snow predicted for 2 days.

Just letting you know so as you can plan.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Darryn - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 12:19

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 12:19
Good advice Floyd. Looking up from the south this morning Mt Wellington and Trapyard Hill both had a good cover of snow so the Mt Howitt area will also be under snow. If anyone intends to go into Wonnangatta via the Howitt road and Zeka Spur you will be in the snow!! There has also been a fair bit of rain in the hills the past few weeks so the rivers will be up and running.
Darryn
AnswerID: 35795

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 13:26

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 13:26
Theres a load of tracks NOT opening...

There was a mail the other day from association, Mt Stirling is one that aint opening on time..
AnswerID: 35799

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 16:05

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 16:05
Ffloyd, all I can say is you're either mad :-)))) or made of sturdier stuff than me. Out on your bike in those conditons!!! Yeesh, I'd have hybernating in bed under 6 doona's with the heater on and barely a tuft of hair showing, LOL. Oh for a balmy 30+ degree day...sigh.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 35814

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 16:37

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 16:37
Not that im coming down to the high country but thats what you call on the spot reporting .
All the best
EricCape York Connections
AnswerID: 35819

Reply By: GOB member vic - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 20:30

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 20:30
howdy all
i think mum and the wombats and diamonds and others going into the hill s will all have cold bums but after a couple of glayvas they probably wont notice .unfortunately i am only jealous as we cant getaway this weekend

steveimagine a 03 gu 4.2tdin the picture
as i am having trouble sizing the picture
AnswerID: 35846

Sponsored Links