Airflow Snorkel to suit Hilux

Submitted: Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 21:08
ThreadID: 8228 Views:6914 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Just thought I would give a review of my latest Venture - Fitting an Airflow Snorkel on a 98 Hilux Diesel. The Factory that makes them is 5 minutes from my place so I thought give the locals a Go. Anyway here is a summary.

I go to the factory and the guy has a look - no worries heres the kit $265.00. Great.
The template fits my front panel spot on - Mark and drill the holes as per the template after checking it at least 6 times. yep the holes are right the snorkal fits the panel well and lines up with the A pillar Nicely, Great.
Paint the bare metal around the holes fit up the snorkel body - lookin good now. Go to fit off the plastic bit that goes between the snorkel body and the hole in the engine bay where the factory air pick up runs - Its 6" to long and is square in the section where I am supposed to cut and connect a round hose???? HMMMM.

Go back to the factory the next day - HMMM yeah right it doesn't fit says the guy, no worries we'll make you a suitable one and throw in the extra 2 bends required??
Cool I think - this is gonna be no drama's after all. Get the new bit home and go to fit it and guess what its now too short by about 20 mm???? Great just what I needed........

Ever resourceful I think bugger it I'll drill a hole through my inner guard as the snorkel body pipe seems to line up spot on with the air filter box pick up - less bends restrictions etc and join up with hose?? sounds fair enough I think. Before drilling I think I better inspect the snorkel to check that its truly gonna be the result I need. Yep looks good, lines up great no dramas. I then check to ensure it is in fact airtight as you would assume a snorkal should be. Seal up one end suck on the other and surprise, surprise it also leaks around one of the fixing bolts on the snorkel body.

Generally I am fairly tolerant, but this is now givving me the irrits.........

My advice to anyone contemplating a Snorkel job.
Check your kit.
Measure of all components before you drill anything.
Check its airtight !!!!!!!!
look carefully at the qualiy before you buy anything and compare closely to competitive products.

As for the sporty looking holes in my guard - I wonder if the airtech or safari will cover them up???
PS: I am a Plumber of 20 years exp with tools and pipe installation, I assure all that this is the gear not the installer in this case. Bugger.

look carefully at the qualiy before you buy anything and compare closely to competitive products. As for the sporty looking holes in my guard - I wonder if the airtech or safari will cover them up???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Duke-Attie - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 21:28

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 21:28
Hey Man....I totally relate to your drama.....I used 75mm pvc downpipe with 90mm reducers from the air cleaner to the inner guard......GQ diesel...
AnswerID: 35856

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 21:33

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 21:33
Gday Zed,Ive fitted 3 or 4 Safari snorkels now and apart from not having a hole saw the right size(lots of little holes) takes about 1 hour to fit and never had a problem with wrong parts.Are you sure they supplied the right kit for your Hilux?
AnswerID: 35857

Follow Up By: zed- Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 21:44

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 21:44
I think the problem is its an "airflow" snorkel not the safari........

And as it says above not only did I buy it at the airflow factory - but have returned to the factory and they still did not get it right. And aside from that, the main snorkel body leaks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HMMM - Happy???
FollowupID: 25888

Reply By: carazy merredin wa - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 22:06

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 22:06
I have no problems fiting the safari snorkles. I don't drill the 5mm holes in the A-pillar for the plastic inserts, so that the self taping screws go into. Just simply drill hole 0.5mm & screw self tapers straight into A-pillar. When holes get striped out too big, you can then drill holes bigger & fit the plastic inserts! You can buy a sock that goes in the top of the snorkle as a pre filter aswell.
AnswerID: 35864

Follow Up By: zed- Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 00:38

Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 00:38
The blood pressure has settled........

Fixed the little leak in the main snorkal by applying a soldering iron to the bolt fitting and pulling a small vacuum on the tube. This reset the fitting in the plastic, no drama, just a little fiddling about.

On the up side the guys at airflow are very helpful and will no doubt make the section required for me as they are very keen to please/ do the right thing.

Even more so it will allow them to get their kit spot on for other customers in future. At the end of it all I reckon it'll be worth the mucking about as looks as if the diameter of the pipes under the front guard and to the airbox on the airflow snorkel will be less restrictive than the Safari / larger diameter and should provide better air volume.

Yes its a bit of stuffing around but it is good for others in future and for the company in getting it right for this model. I reckon at the end of the day the product will look just as good on the vehicle as the other products with better air delivery to the filter box.
FollowupID: 25901

Sponsored Links