corrosion in head and block on G Q patrol

Submitted: Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 22:26
ThreadID: 8231 Views:1561 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Any body out there know if it is a common problem for a G Q 4.2lt carby petrol motor on gas to have corrosion problems on the head and part of the block.Mechanic told me it has obviously been leaking water internally for sometime,but l have never had to top up the radiator and the temp gauge never moves off normal.Looks like a reco motor has to go in as second hand motors only have 2 to 3 months warranty.Motor has only done 230k and regulary serviced and ran perfect until this problem occured.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick - Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 20:00

Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 20:00
Would you like another head and all other parts, $200 if interested.
christie_eng@optusnet.com.au
AnswerID: 35914

Reply By: Member - MightyQ - Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 00:43

Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 00:43
G'day patrol88, just as a bit of advice, although not quite the same problem but,
after we bought our GQ(secon hand), we had a few coolant problems. Without a long drawn out story just make sure you are using 'coolant' and not just water, haven't had any problems since some work was done and coolant used
AnswerID: 35941

Reply By: Red Rover - Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 09:20

Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 09:20
I had one on gas and took the gas off it. It now runs straight solid fuel. The original motor was a bit rattly (turned out to be timing chain guides) so I put another second hand one in - that was 2 years ago now and has since done Simpson desert Runs great had 110000k's on it when it came from the wreckers. COOLANT VERY IMPORTANT whether it be gas or solid fuel. I run at least 60% glycol. A mate had one a never changed the coolant -BYE BYE to motor - man was it corroded. It probably is a common fault because most people dont realise - as you said it was running great. Keep heaps of fresh coolant ( i do mine every year) and you will reduce the corrosion rate

Hope it helps

Red Rover
AnswerID: 35946

Sponsored Links