Add another GU gearbox to the list

Submitted: Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 22:34
ThreadID: 8234 Views:1915 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Anybody keeping count on the 2000 3 litre Patrol gearbox blowups can add mine to the list. Travelling along the Hume Hwy from Albury to Goulburn yesterday my fifth gear "went". Travelling at about 95kmh up a slight incline it just went bang.

Had it carried back to Albury tonite and will have to see Nissan tomorrow to get their act together so I can get it back.

Do Nissan replace the box or just repair it with the better splines.

Now that my GU has had a motor replaced, had all wheels replaced because of cracking, had computer replaced and reserve fuel tank replaced and lost 5th gear is there anything else that can go wrong.

I suppose I can be thankful it went on the Hume whilst I was not towing instead of on some remote track with my soon to pick up TRu Blu camper.

It also justifies the cost of the extended warranty I purchased before the original warranty expired.

Gary

Dead in the City - Alive in the Bush
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kim (mr) - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 23:37

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 23:37
well im hoping that i will not be adding mine to the list, but if it was to go is it just 5th, what im getting at is can you drop it back to 4th and get to where your going or is it a case of pull over and drive no more. And is it worth the old stitch in time saves nine thingo, you know get it looked at to see how its going in there. And get it fixed before it fixes me. Any info would be a great help, cause i have no idea..More drive'n less talk'n
AnswerID: 35877

Follow Up By: Member - Eric- Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 17:35

Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 17:35
ni dealer will pull apart the g box just to have a look., extend your warranty if you can .Venus Bay
FollowupID: 25920

Follow Up By: Member - Gary - Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 10:40

Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 10:40
Kim - Eric is right. Despite all the other prpblems I had the Nissan Dealer would not check the box for me even though the local dealer has repaired heaps of them. When it went i continued in 4th up to a speed of about 80k's for about 80 ks to the next major town. Tried to ring Nissan Roadside assistance but the line was temprary out of service ( or so the robot said). I was not going to just stay there so continued on. Other people that had experienced the 5th gear failure had told me they did the same thing. GaryDead in the City - Alive in the Bush
FollowupID: 25949

Reply By: Member- Rox - Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 23:41

Friday, Oct 31, 2003 at 23:41
Gary Maybee you should change your moto to dead in the bush!!!
Sory to hear that I thought the were a good truck, at least thats what my mecanick says when I was getting quotes for my 80 seriers gbox sincrosHave 4WD will Explore
AnswerID: 35878

Follow Up By: Member - Gary - Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 10:43

Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 10:43
Rox, I still think it is great vehicle despite the problems. I hope that it is over all the problems now. With just over 91000 on the clock I hope to get a lot more. Maybe I have been cursed but I do not remember running over any black cats. The extended warranty gives me comfort and as it has turned out was a very wise investment decision to spend the $940. GaryDead in the City - Alive in the Bush
FollowupID: 25951

Reply By: Member - John- Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 14:56

Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 14:56
Gary,

You should have no problem having the gearbox repaired under extended warranty as Nissan has been rebuilding literally hundreds of early GU gearboxes. My local Nissan guy has done about 160 now and he replaces ALL the bearings as well as the new 5th gear and shaft (a better part that won't break again).

You can drive in 4th no probs without doing any more damage as all that happens is the 5th gear spline wears off inside the 5th gear cog, the rest of the gearbox works fine except for the accelerated wear of all the bearings due to loose metals particles.

A precursor indication is severaly discoloured gear oil, turns a orange reddish colour.

Many Nissan service people in the big smoke don't see it to much, but the guys out in the bush should be very familar with the problem. With the VIN number they should be able to get waarant approval from Nissan, even if the vehicle is ex-warranty.

JohnS

AnswerID: 35966

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 17:13

Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 17:13
At work we have a fleet of the GU traytops with the 4.2 turbo and have had similiar issues with the gearbox between 4th & 5th playing up and also the bushes in the gear lever and the gear lever itself had to be replaced. Dealer said we were treating them too harsly and I replied the other vehicles we have had in the past have handled it ie 75 series Toyota. But the Nissans are far more comfortable to drive.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 35974

Reply By: Roly - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 13:09

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 13:09
mine failed 1.5 hours south of sydney about 18 months ago

i drove in 4th gear all the way to melbourne, thru the high country and back to sydney and then up to cessnock to drop the car in to get it looked at.

at that time it was a rare problem and that particular gearbox had only been in my car for about a year, 10,000kms towing my race pajero killed 5th early....

if you loose 5th, keep driving it it will get you where you want to go..

Roly
AnswerID: 36050

Sponsored Links