Advice on 3.0 TD patrol problems

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 00:00
ThreadID: 8250 Views:2156 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All,

I am new to this list and i apologise for asking any silly questions about the Nissan patrol as they are not popular in the Uk. After reading many of the forums i am shocked to see so many faults with the Nissan patrol 3.0 TD. I come from a Landrover defender background and as you all know have there share of problems. I travel a lot in Europe and North Africa and have used landrovers for years but the new TD5 has let me down a few times. I done some reasearch into the patrol and the general opinion was of ultra reliability, so i bought a 2003 3.0 TD as thats the only engine available in the Uk. I have been shocked by the amount of problems that the early ones have, i always thought Nissan went forever. So where is this all leading, i notice that there is very little written about 2003 models. HAVE all the problems been sorted or is it just the case that they are too new. I also notice that you guys can rack some heavy mileage up in a short time so i guess 2002 models would be showing faults, but i see no mention of this. From this i can guess that Nissan has sorted the initial problems and this engine will be as reliable as we come to expect from Nissan. Can anybody confirm my theory that the new models do not really have any major problems.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: joshinthecity - Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 00:19

Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 00:19
Scott.
To the best of my (admittedly limited) knowledge, there have been no reported failures in the series III or IV 3.0 GU Patrols. Neither engine or gearbox.
No doubt someone will know someone who has a brother who has beers with a guy who says they are bleep .
But they are hanging together well here, and believe me, Australian conditions will find fault with ANY car sooner or later. We live in a pretty rough country and we expect nothing but perfection and 100% reliability when far from towns.
I have the same truck as you and give it heaps on road and off, and mine's been perfect so far 26,000klm...

Josh.

AnswerID: 35938

Reply By: Johnad - Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 22:54

Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 22:54
Im just about to upgrade my GU to a series 3. I checked out another forum on www.overlander.com.au (sorry exploreoz for promoting the opp), and you'll get heaps of advice. Be aware of undercover landrover or landcruiser forumites that might give bleep e advice.

From my research, the latest 3.0td is a ripper. All the bugs have been ironed out and youve bought THE best 4wd on the market.....it just won 4wd of the year.
AnswerID: 35999

Reply By: Roly - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 13:06

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 13:06
i get on average a phonecall or email a week from an owner with a blown ZD30 asking for advice / help.

they are all early ones, latest is 2001 that i have to call the guy back about

Roly
AnswerID: 36048

Sponsored Links