Bushman fridge/freezer

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 18:25
ThreadID: 8261 Views:15029 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Saw a bushman fridge at the Gosford 4WD show today and the salesman went on about how good it was and from an 4WD magazine he showed me on it - it performed way above the Engel, Evacool etc Are there any problems with these Bushmans and can anyone vouch for them. They were offerring them for $1050 with power pak , extra lid, cover etc - sounded good to me.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jimbo - Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 21:27

Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 21:27
Go have a look at your local newsagency at 4wd monthly accessories guide. There is a scientifically conducted test of all fridges. Makes very interesting reading and helps you with your choice. I have had an Engel for 5 years, but may have made another choice had I read an article of this quality prior to purchase. However 5 years of trouble free service from a fridge that has dpone a lot of work is nothing to complain about.

Regards,

Jim.
AnswerID: 35987

Reply By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 21:47

Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 21:47
Aarrgghhh!!! I missed the 4WD show .. and strangely .. no mention of it in the local papers (that figures...). My "trouble and strife" thought it would be on, but when there was nothing in the papers I thought it must have been next week. Oh well ...
JackNo trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message. However a
great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
AnswerID: 35990

Follow Up By: Member- Rox - Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 23:24

Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 23:24
Jack, Love the slogan, "No trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message. However a
great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced" Is it copyrited????Have 4WD will Explore
FollowupID: 25976

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 07:12

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 07:12
Hi Rox:
No - not copyright - came after an evening with a bit too much "silly juice" - a mate commented on how email was saving trees, and I commented on how it was driving electrons crazy.
Glad you like it.
JackNo trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message. However a
great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
FollowupID: 25991

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 22:54

Sunday, Nov 02, 2003 at 22:54
Jef,
I had a Bushman fridge, when it worked it was excellent, I used to to go to Mt Augusta in WA, it had it's fair share of corragations I admit, the fridge's compressor died after the second day, lost all the food apart for what others could store for me, being the second day there wasn't much room. On my return the fridge went away for repair, no problem here very helpful and all that stuff, not much good to me then....... Got the fridge back and went on a couple more trips, the digital display died then, the fridge still worked a treat until I removed the battery to replace with a new one just in case that was the problem, from there didn't know what the temp was except for an external temp gauge, gave up in the end sent the fridge back again, this time they replaced it saying the one I had must of been made on a Friday afternoon. I got home and advertised it, sold it for about a grand, bought an Engle haven't looked back since, wouldn't buy another one. My experience, others may swear by them, I did, bloody thing!!! Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 35998

Reply By: Aston - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 09:11

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 09:11
Bushman fridge/freezer,
Jeff (Beddo)

I can only have good things to say about my "Bushman" 35/42 litre.

I have had know complaints except when I accidently pushed the quick freeze button and sent the steak and sausages down to -15C.(and I mean frozen)

Consequently the sausages became tent pegs till they thawed out.

One of the things that I am really impressed with is it's power economy, when we are camping I run the fridge off a power pack and i get 2 1/2 days running without having to connect it to the car.

This allows us to tour during the day without worrying about puting the fridge back in the car.

Cheers Aston
AnswerID: 36028

Reply By: Member - David - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 13:30

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 13:30
The Bushman lid hinges from the side..and unless your installation is ideal..it can be a bitch to access..where as the Engel is hinged from the end.
Also, requires the optional lid to fit decent size bottles in.
Stick with the Engel..can't go wrongA bad days sailing sure beats a good day at work
AnswerID: 36059

Reply By: captnsnooze - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 14:21

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 14:21
Gooday Jeff

I have a Bushman Fridge, I have nothing but good thingsa to say about it also. The review some people above talked about does make good reading the only complaint they found was that it has bad handles I suppose if you are someone with no idea then that might be a problem.

The extra lid to make it 42 litres is a great idea with some thought about packing you can get loads of stuff in there.

I use it on a deep cycle battery which I recharge using a generator every three or four days, it seemingly uses very little power.

AnswerID: 36063

Reply By: Rick - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 20:03

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 20:03
I have a bushman too, but only for a few months. Absolutely no complaints except for one catch on the 42 L lid being a little low. Fixed that and everything has been great.
Just came back from a trip up to Boondooma dam and I had it running of a truck battery non stop for 7 days without recharging. Only had it set to -5C to save the battery but 7 days without recharging was great. I still had frozen meat after that time.
Was looking at the EVA Kool unit as well as the Engel but am very happy with the Bushman.
Currently is is on loan to friends whose fridge has broken down and has been running on the 240V adaptor now for the last 10 days.
AnswerID: 36108

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 21:05

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 21:05
Thanks everyone for your responses - yeh I was looking at the Evakool fridge as I have a Evakool esky at present which is great but after 4 days you need more ice and plus I hate the melt water thru the sausages. But when I saw the Bushman I was interested - so now I have to choose between the two.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 36114

Reply By: Brian - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 09:22

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 09:22
Just a thought, check out
www.norcoast.com.au

I have Trailblaza... several friends have Trailblaza's.. everyone is happy with them... you may be surprised.
Cheers
Brian
AnswerID: 36267

Sponsored Links