Buying a car - Need it only four months

Submitted: Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 00:36
ThreadID: 8271 Views:2433 Replies:9 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, from January till May I will visit Australia for the second time. This time I have planned to do the circle Melbourne - Perth - Broome - Darwin - Melbourne. Since I am quite adventerous and doesn't like to sit in a bus, I am planning on buying a car again.

The difficulty is that I also have to sell it at the end and if you are not able to sell it in lets say two weeks, you lose all the money you invested in the car. So I am thinking about what to do and would like to ask you for advise about this.

Do you think there will be carsellers who will sell me a car and make an agreement that they buy it back after four months? I understand they couldn't garantie me a price, because it all depends at the state I will return it in.

A 4wd will be nice, but I am not technically skilled and an if an 4wd breaks down, it is probably going to be more expensive than for example a Falcon or Commodore, am I right?

A Falcon or Commodore has my preference, for these reasons:
1. In The Netherlands the fuel is twice as expenive as in Australia, the roads are narrower and there are almost no cars with 4 or 5 liter engines. I would like to drive such a car for a while.
2. They are common cars in Australia and if they break down, it will be easier to get parts.
3. Bigger car carries more stuff and is more comfortable to drive in.

Otherwise I was thinking about a Toyota, since they have proved to be the most reliable cars there are.

My budget for a car will be around 3000 A$ or a bit more if I have some sort of garantie I can sell it at the end.

It is a long story, but I am open to any advice anyone can give to me in this matter!!

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tristjo (Brisbane) - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 00:51

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 00:51
Hey Rich,

$3k doesn't buy you much Falcon or Commodoore. You would be looking at mid 80's models in both. Not the greatest cars on the planet, thats for sure. And don't get me started on reliability, or lack there of.

My advice would be to hire a vehicle. For a long term hire, a brand new Commodoore could be had for as little as $50-$60 a day. Very comfy, lots of room, and very much up to date. And if anything went wrong with the vehicle, the hire company would supply you with a replacment vehicle. This would be a much, much safer idea, as you would never be left strandard.

If you want any more advice or idea's, give us a yell. And enjoy your stay.

Tristjo.
AnswerID: 36014

Follow Up By: Dutch Richard - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 01:00
Hi Tristjo,

You are right, but renting a car for 100 days times $50 is to expensive. It would be nice when not traveling alone, so you can split cost.

Previous visit I bought a 1981 Nissan Urvan camper for 2700. Had some repairs on it and new front tires (about 1000 dollars) and sold it five months later for 3000. So when you are lucky, it should be possible.

Richard
FollowupID: 25988

Reply By: surfer - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 01:31

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 01:31
Gday Dutch
Get a VN commodore wagon.It is a GMH car.
Dont touch the Ford of same era as youll go thru set of tyres on long trip
There front ends are usually worn out.
You can pick up 89 or 90 model for $3000 which should get you around OZ.
they usually have air conditioning on those models too.
Some dealers have them for $2500 around my city of Adelaide
They are 3.8 lit and go like hell....V6
My freind has one and its very reliable car......
Two major sites to buy a car are

http://www.tradingpost.com.au
which is for all states
and
http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/
which links to all newspaper classifieds in all states

They list private and dealer adds

regards Lee
AnswerID: 36018

Follow Up By: Stuart - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 10:34

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 10:34
the old Holden v Ford arguement, personally l have heard and witnessed to many bad things about commodores to warrent them as being the better car, they both have their pro's and con's, but which ever way you go, you can garantee that parts are readily available for both, so it's just a matter of taste.
FollowupID: 25999

Follow Up By: diamond(bendigo) - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 20:01

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 20:01
gday surfer.
the fords your talking about with the buggered front ends would be xf back wards.ea have rack and pinion and far better than the old ones.
hmmmm commodores being a little better with out geting into ford-holden thing.
common comodore problems .steering racks/autos/rear control arm bushes/coil packs/crank angle sensors/water pumps ect
falcon steering racks/heads/wheel alignments done wrong.
im sure theres lots more but this is what i see day in day out as main problems.back by popular demand
:-)
FollowupID: 26224

Reply By: joshinthecity - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 01:35

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 01:35
Or better still,
Try www.carpoint.com.au

Josh

AnswerID: 36019

Reply By: Member - Jack - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 07:16

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 07:16
You could also try http://www.carsales.com.au/
JackNo trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message. However a
great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
AnswerID: 36020

Reply By: Ken - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 11:35

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 11:35
A friend told me about a car yard on Parramatta Rd in Sydney that will sell your car for the value you want. They will charge you $250.00 and take it till it is sold. They make their money from the finance they write on the sale. So if push comes to shove and you are stuck with the car after your trip you can lodge it with a company like this. Cars are also for sale on ebay. www.ebay.com.au.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Ken
AnswerID: 36032

Follow Up By: Dutch Richard - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:37

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:37
You don't happen to know of such a company in Melbourne or surroundings? Parramatta is way out of my circle I am going to drive...
FollowupID: 26040

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 12:19

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 12:19
For about $2000AUD you can buy a 1986 XF Ford Falcon which may also be dual fuel i.e.lpg gas/unleaded petrol and airconditioned!. These cars are everywhere and you could get parts in the most remotest places in Australia. They are pretty reliable.

There are car sales yards in Perth and Cairns who buy your vehicle back from you after you have completed your journey. Go have a look on the internet.

Cheers,

Willem

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 36040

Follow Up By: Dutch Richard - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:46

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:46
Hiya Willem,

Dual fuel would be good, if LPG is cheap in Australia as well. I was thinking about a Falcon or Commodore, but I hope to find one from 1988 for $2000 or is that going to be difficult?

I am ending my travels in Melbourne, but maybe you have these caryards over there as well. Haven't found them yet on the internet though.

Richard
FollowupID: 26046

Reply By: Brian - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 13:34

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 13:34
Richard Have you thought of flying into Darwin there are always cars/campers for sale there (everyone ends there trip in Darwin) by people doing the same as you.
And the prices can be good as people Have to sell b4 a flyout date!!! Then sell it private or to a dealer in a captail city!!!
Just a thought.
Brian

PS travel around IOZ anti clock wish it's shorter!!!!
AnswerID: 36060

Follow Up By: Dutch Richard - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:40

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:40
Brian,
Do you think car dealers would buy a car from someone who is not buying another car at their place? That is something which is not easy in The Netherlands!

Richard

PS I know traveling clockwise makes the trip about twice as long as doing is anti clockwise, but I like driving!
FollowupID: 26042

Follow Up By: Brian - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:44

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:44
I don't believe that you would have any problem selling it ,however at a dealer the price would not be as good as private sale!!!!
You can advertise at the backpackers and YHA's people ther would be looking for a vehicle kitted out ie campiing cooking gear water and fuel jerries etc.... You may be able to get info by emailing the YHA in Darwin and MELB,Perth....etc

Brian
FollowupID: 26045

Follow Up By: Dutch Richard - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:47

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:47
You're right, that is what I did last time, but it is very time consuming. Took about two weeks before I sold it.
FollowupID: 26047

Follow Up By: Brian - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:53

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:53
Its a balancing act time V money. take the loss at a dealer and just put it down to travel expenses! Also the type of car you buy will make a difference!
Brian
FollowupID: 26048

Reply By: Peter L - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 15:27

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 15:27
Richard, I'm just a little concerned about your timing.
Melb & Perth in January/ February will be middle of summer ie Hot (up to low 40's)but dry & therefore tolerable.
But Broome/ Darwin in March/April could still be wet season, possibly roads closed due to flooding & very humid (so I am told).

As for sale of car you can go to any used car yard or auction house for near immediate sale, but private sale will return more dollars.

Peter
AnswerID: 36073

Follow Up By: Dutch Richard - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:43

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:43
Hi Peter,

True, January/February will be a bit warm, but I've been in Melbourne before in these months and it is not that big of a problem, just open the windows for some air!

The rainseason in the north is what I am more worried about. I might look for an amphibious car ;-) I've opened another post with my questions about the rainseason.

Richar
FollowupID: 26043

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 17:36

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 17:36
But Richard...Melbourne never gets hot! only warm.
Adelaide Perth and higher gets hot! and for longer periodsWow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
FollowupID: 26090

Reply By: ross - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 04:42

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 04:42
Richard my choice would be to spend about $1500-$2000 on a XF 85-86 FALCON .At that price you would get a fairly good wagon with aircon.The parts both new and used are abundant and cheap and have some money left over for brand new tyres , bull bar, repairs and some spotlights for those dark nights.They are a big comfortable car and have the power for overtaking.XF falcons also have room under the bonnet to fix things like water pumps ,thermostats ectThey are not particularly economical on fuel but there are quite a few with lpg .Lpg is about half the cost although most cars use about 10% more lpg than petrol.
I drove a panel van version around Australia (almost) in the early 90s and it would be my choice again if I didnt own a LANDCRUISER.I believe private sales are often the best in this price range.
AnswerID: 36139

Sponsored Links