what to do..suspension lift?

Submitted: Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 00:51
ThreadID: 8272 Views:3296 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hi all
im in the market for buying a 91-95' 3ltr petrol swb pajero. Convenience wise i could not find a better 4wd, but i am seriously concerned with their offroad ability. From experience i know that due to their front independent suspension they have extremely limited front wheel travel, how much of a concern should this be, considering im not an incredibly experienced offroader, and would like to be one in the future. In my experience the 3ltr engine was pretty gutless, but then again i have been driving my folks 4.2ltr GQ which sure has endless power but costs a fortune to run. Is the 3lt enough power? Also would a suspension lift fix the travel? keep in mind i would like it to be legal and insurable.
I dont have a lot of cash to throw around, so would it be in my interest to buy my parents GQ patrol which needs less alterations but higher insurance and fuel costs?

any advice would be really appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Duke-Attie - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 07:39

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 07:39
If you want to be doing some extended trips in the future,,,, good luck finding the room in a swb vehicle......
AnswerID: 36021

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 12:46

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 12:46
I'd be staying with the GQ if I was you, its bulletproof, more forgiving as you gain that valuable experience and doesnt need to have a lot spent to become awesome offroad, tricking up a Paj to do what a GQ does std will drain the bank faster that the GQ eats fuel...marginally, go get a gas convo on the GQ.Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
AnswerID: 36044

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 23:06

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 23:06
Rino,
Personally I would stick with the GQ idea, you know the history of the fourby for a start, being your dads, if you spend your hard earned dollars to buy something off somebody else you could well be buying more problems. As others say the GQ is tried and tested and virtually bomb proof, spares are plentiful so is advice as you can see. the IFS doesn't give you as much to play with as does the live axle on the GQ.
Your choice also depends what you are buying the vehicle for, the off road ability of a vehicle isn't completely the ability of the vehicle, the driver plays a major part in this process as well, a little bit of training and experience helps. Join a club don't try to learn on your own it can prove costly and in some cases embarrassing, it's much better to learn in a group. Insurance is expensive and one reason for that in a few cases is inexperienced drivers taking risks and loosing the lot for one rason or another.
My opinions as usual, hope some of this makes sense or helps. Good luck and happy driving.Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 36126

Reply By: Aussie03 - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:25

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:25
The patrol is ultimately better offroad than the pajero, due to its live axel set up both front and rear. However front inderpendent suspension is not without its advantages, it makes for a better ride on road, and for touring it is certainly alot more forgiving than live axel. The right suspension lift for independent will compensate for limited travel. If your really keen you could remove the anti sway bar and squeeze a few more centremetres of travel out off the front suspension, just don't tackle corners too fast. Short wheel base 4wds will make better offroaders, as they have better departure, approach, and ramp over angles, the only set back is the limited carrying capacity of these vechicles. You mentioned that you intend to do some serious offroading, weather you go for the pajero or the patrol you will have to at some stage look at a suspension lift. It all narrows down to where you spend most for your time driving. More offroad driving then i recommend the patrol. However if your after a good compromise between on and offroad driving the the pajero is the pick of the pack. they offer better onroad performance, while they won't tackle hard terrian with the easy of a patrol they will go as far, and with the right suspension lift, and diff locks the pajero will confront difficult terrian with the same poise as a patrol. I haven't pesonally driven a 3L pajero, but I have heard they can be short of some leg at times. I would imagine the ecomony would be alot better than the patrol.
Hope this helps, if a bit long.
AnswerID: 36173

Follow Up By: Rino - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 14:18

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 14:18
Thanx for the advice. i have decided to stick with the GQ, its only done 120K and we have never had a problem with it, and as you say i could be buying into others problems. I plan on joining the sydney toyota landcruiser club in the upcoming holidays, and doing a few courses there. The GQ does have a hole in the exhaust, so i was wondering if i replaced it with a straight through system would this increase fuel effiency?.. or should i just look at getting it fixed. Its a 4.2 ltr petrol engine and i have never managed to get more that 450km out of a tank.
thanx for the help
FollowupID: 26082

Follow Up By: Aussie03 - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 16:09

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 16:09
I know fitting a straighter exhaust will improve power and torque, but not necessarily fuel efficency. If your after more range then I would suggested fitting long range tanks, but this won't help your fuel consumption.
FollowupID: 26087

Sponsored Links