Free rest areas

Submitted: Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 06:32
ThreadID: 8273 Views:2141 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Would anyone like to comment on free rest areas(Available everywhere it seems except NSW!) Are they safe? I've had friends stay in them around Australia but then on the weekend I had a friend say he'd never stay in them, didn't feel safe. Is he just being paranoid or have other people had bad experiences too?We had planned to stay in them but with 3 girls I now feel a bit tentative!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 07:54

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 07:54
Liz

I really don't think you'd have to much to worry about.

They can be a bit noisy if you're on a road traversed by semi's or especially road trains.

We generally prefer to free camp when off the beaten track.Rosco
AnswerID: 36022

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 08:06

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 08:06
If you are a bit concerned about your security the best thing to do is to pull in early say around 2.00pm and sit around for a while. It is a bit like a Galah landing in a pile of wheat, once you are there you will probably find a few others have been looking for just what you have found an pull in too. If no one arrives just up camp and head off.

AnswerID: 36023

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 12:48

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 12:48
Liz,

Paranoia kicks in anywhere, as said above they would be pretty ok in my opinion, Oz is still a pretty good place to pull off the road and camp anywhere but the big cities.Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
AnswerID: 36045

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 13:04

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 13:04
We spent 5 years on the road camping in as many freebies as we could find. Never had a problem and met some nice people along the way.

Some people are paranoid about camping on the side of the road and maybe on the very busy highways there many be a 1% justification but on the whole Aus is the safest place in the world to camp by the side of the road. Some of the free camp sites have hot showers and clean toilets etc. Remember that virtually every town in this country has a Rotary, Apex or Lions park with BBQ's, toilets and water etc.

There are numerous freebies in NSW and there is also a couple of books published on this subject. Do a search on Google and look for Free Camp Sites/Rest Areas in Australia.

Enjoy...the country is out there waiting for you!!!

Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 36047

Follow Up By: Member - Liz- Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 17:19

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 17:19
Thanks Willie for the advice and info.I'll definitely look those sites up!
FollowupID: 26018

Reply By: TonyY - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 13:09

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 13:09
The free sites are a great idea, but only if they are maintained and not just put there and forgotten.

On a recent trip to the Kimberley I stopped to have a look at a few of them (didn't camp), and in every case there were piles of rubbish lying around, overflowing bins and overflowing, filthy toilets. Not very impressive!
AnswerID: 36049

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 13:24

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 13:24
Liz, We often camp in the freebies and have never had a problem. The Grey Brigade generally are looking for their campspots any time after 2.00pm and we joke about them getting in first to find the best "spot" By 4.00pm, you will always find another campsite with company if that's what we wish.
Don't tell anyone else but we often find an old roadworks quarry and camp in them. The are often off the road enough that no-one can see you there, they are level, clean and have piles of firewood stacked where they cleared the site. They are our prefered camp site. But please keep it quiet.
PS If you think anyone is hanging about, just run out side with your face covered in face cream and hair in rollers. That should scare them off LOLne cede malis
AnswerID: 36057

Follow Up By: TonyY - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 16:47

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 16:47
LOL, I don't think posting on a public forum is a good way to keep things to yourself! ;)

It's a good idea though, I recently found one of these and stayed the night, the only downside is being woken at sparrow fart by the grader firing up!
FollowupID: 26015

Follow Up By: Member - Liz- Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 17:17

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 17:17
Thanks Des.Your reply certainly brought a smile to my face.I'll keep your SECRET camping place in mind. By the way cream on the face and hair rollers never puts my husband off,what am I doing wrong or is he just deperate?Lol
FollowupID: 26017

Reply By: Wayne - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 16:23

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 16:23
Liz

I always use the free camp areas. Last year it was the Kimberley and this year the Flinders Ranges. Have always camped where there are other fellow travellers and have never had a problem. On some nights there have been as many as 20 other vehicles camped.

The RACV website (and probably the other state auto clubs) have strip maps, that can be downloaded, of Aust main highways, which indicate where the rest areas are.

Happy camping.
AnswerID: 36078

Follow Up By: Member - Liz- Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 17:22

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 17:22
Thanks everyone.I'm rreally glad that everyone uses the free sites and feels o.k. about doing that as well.I figure if they are free and safe we may as well use them-means we can make our holiday longer c'oz we're not paying for accomodation or at least spend it on some liquid refreshments!
FollowupID: 26020

Reply By: Wizzy - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 18:19

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 18:19
Hi Liz,

Wouldn't worry too much about free rest areas ... as others have said, they are pretty safe. We have used them a lot and never had problems. You may like to check out my website's caravanning pages which lists some of the rest areas we have used, complete with photos.

Go to www.damor.net and click on Caravanning Capers.

Dennis
Westport 18ft full 'van
Falcon AU sedan
www.damor.net
AnswerID: 36096

Follow Up By: Member - Liz- Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 23:09

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 23:09
Wow Dennis!! Impressive website and very informative.Gave us a very realistic idea of what the free sites are like. Thanks very much for sharing so much!!!
FollowupID: 26050

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:20

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:20
Liz,

Free rest area's are great but just like CVP's and the like, there are good ones and bad ones. During peak holiday season, especially up north, its unlikely you'd find yourself camping overnight alone anyway. Hubby and I have a few "rules" that we've created over the years: 1) never camp at a free rest area within say 40km's of town, especially on a Fri or Sat night when the local hoons are likely to be out cruising. Exceptions are if "town" is really just a tiny outback settlement or if the rest area is clean, maintained and well patronised. 2) have a good look around before setting up. If you don't feel comfortable, move on. 3) If possible, always try to camp as far back from the road as possible...passing trucks can be awfully noisy, and 4) Never camp in a dedicated truck rest stop area...you won't get any sleep.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 36172

Follow Up By: Member - Liz- Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 13:33

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 13:33
Thanks Melissa for your advice,sounds very sensible!
FollowupID: 26078

Sponsored Links